Carnival Miracle... Excursions

My finace and I will be going on our first cruise together in October for our honeymoon on Carnival Miracle. We'd really like to snorkel, see the Mayan ruins, and of course, lounge on the beach! Can anyone tell me which ports are best for what, and what places are good for booking excursions? We appreciate it!!

check the port of calls board and read under each of your ports.

we did altun ha ruins in Belieze--impressive and youcan climb the pyramid.- (exhausting)

Hi! The obvious "ruin" ports are Belize and Costa Maya, although I believe you can take an excursion from Cozumel to mainland Mexico for an additional option to see ruins. If you do this, I would only do it through a ship-sponsored excursion, as it would be too easy to miss the ship due to some mishap or other.

As for ruins in Belize, you have two options: Altun Ha (can be combined with River Wallace) or "X" - sorry, can't begin to remember how to spell it. The latter is a very full day tour (again, would only do through the ship), but the people we spoke with said it was unbelievable. We did the Altun Ha/River Wallace, as we were with a 6 and 3 year old, and a long bus trip was not an option. The River Wallace portion seemed a little long in the end, but was generally enjoyable. The Altun Ha portion was nice, but a bit rushed.

We took our only ship sponsored excursion in Belize. We had been there a year prior, and went to Caye Caulker on our own. We loved the island, but the stress of getting back to the ship in time was something of a damper on the day. It takes longer to tender than you'd think. Thank goodness, we booked through the ship this last time. Our tour was supposed to depart at 8:30. There were large swells which slowed down tendering, and we were getting on the tender at 9:45! I have no idea what time they OK'd the departure of those not on ship sponsored excursions.

The best ruin experience was in Costa Maya. We went to Chacchoben with David and Ivan, and it was awesome! We were back at Majahual in time to have lunch, enjoy the beach and shop a bit.

As to Grand Cayman, we did the Reef, Rays and Rum Point tour with NativeWay. They were great. Rum Point is beautiful. If you do this, buy the DVD. I was skeptical, but it was the best souvenier of the trip!

In Cozumel, I took the kids on the Atlantis submarine, which I booked myself. I bit pricey, but they love being able to say they've been on a sub, and as I don't snorkel or dive, I confess I enjoyed seeing this world myself. Then, we went to Paradise Beach. Paradise Beach now has a snorkel (maybe scuba?) option which leaves from their beach and visits a couple of reefs. Didn't pay all that much attention as it wasn't for us.

We had a terrific time. It's a great cruise! If you have any specific questions about the ship or what we did, I'd be happy to answer if I can!

Otherwise, if you haven't already, check the "Ports of Call" boards here for tons of info!

Congratulations on your wedding, and Happy Cruising!

You will LOVE the Miracle!

Grand Cayman: we did the Reef & Wreck snorkel because I wanted more ACTUAL snorkel time and didn't care much about stingrays. Most people want to do the stingray/snorkel thing in this port. Belize also has good snorkeling.

Cozumel: we went to Paradise Beach. Take a taxi there (about $3 pp). It's a beautiful beach with lounge chairs/umbrellas; water toys (trampoline, climbing "glacier", kayaks, floats) available for $8 pp unlimited use; great food & drinks; awesome service. As long as you spend $10 per person, you can stay there all day. Our favorite day of the cruise.

Belize: we did Private Island Beach Break on Bannister Island. It was nice, but PB in Coz was better.

Costa Maya: we did Chacchoben Mayan Ruins with David & Ivan. Great tour. They are very knowledgable, and it's only about a 45 min. ride from the Cat's Meow in Majahual (where you meet D&I) to the ruins.

Have a fun cruise! :)

Ok....if you like the ruins, which was a big thing for us too, just back from Miracle in april, trust me......go to www.smugglersrunbelize.com and trevor miles will get back to you. He advertizes a horseback ride but when I talked to him he gladly arranged a personal tour of the ruins in belize Altun Ha. He picked us up, took us to the ruins, just the two of us, we toured the ruins where he grew up as a boy....he then took us to his plantation, they grow limes there, his wife made us a meal (wonderful and homemade) then we went on a horseback ride around his place on his horses! It was $100 a person. He treats you like friends. We were joined by one other family at the meal but that was it, really personal. The cruise line wants him to do this for the ships but he hasn't because he wants to keep it small and personal! Any questions and I'd gladly answer! We liked it so much we are returnign with our kids next year and will see him again! He has all of the history etc...We also did captain marvins sting ray city and it was wonderful. Only 9 ppl on our boat vs. 30 on the cruise lines tours. It was great and a must see! In Cozumel get off the ship, walk to a waiting taxi, ask to go to paradise beach (about $12 by taxi) You wont be sorry. It's so beautiful, clean, there is a melon drink there....ooooo la la, food was great, toys and a swimming area. No fee to be on the beach just food and drinks. They sift the sand daily so it's so clean. Don't pay for a resort beach, this is better and I grew up in Hawaii! The bathroom is clean too for a beach! Have fun!!!! We misses Dave and Ivan's trip in costa maya because we weren't able to port there :(!

Archived