Which is the best Bermuda boat???

ehelms

There are only 3 that I'm aware of: Zenith, Empress, and Explorer.

Explorer is the newest and largest of the three (by more than a decade) but is only doing 5 night cruises last I checked.

Zenith and Empress are the two older ships and do 7 night cruises. If I remember right, they were both built around 1990. Empress had a refurbishment about 2 years ago. I don't know much about the Zenith except that the Celebrity board has mentioned some new linnens and such. Many on that board have posted the desire for a major refurbishment.

All three ships have a following for different reasons. I personally chose mine based on price since I like both cruise lines equally well (Celebrity and RCCL). There have been a lot of deals on the Zenith and Empress lately. I found the Eplorer the most expensive when I booked even though it is the shortest cruise.

If you do a search, I have seen numerous reviews of each ship. I would read them and see what is most in line with the cruise experience you want.

Also the NCL Crown(out of NY and Phila), NCL Majesty(out of boston) and the NCL Dawn out of NY. The Crown and the Majesty spend 3-4 days in Bermuda and the Dawn one day. NCL has a dine around program that allows you for a small fee to eat one meal on shore and doesn't have a formal required night. I have done the Empress, Zenith and the Crown and I prefer NCL for Bermuda.

And let's not forget the brand-new Crown Princess (maiden voyage in less than 3 weeks!), which will be stopping in Bermuda just for the day, on 9-day Eastern Caribbean itineraries out of New York (Red Hook). This will be the ship with all the bells and whistles. It will be stopping at the Dockyard. (I have no idea if the ship will be docking or tendering in Bermuda; anybody know???)

I have never been on the Zenith, but was on the Horizon, sister ship to the Zenith, to Bermuda, in 1994 and again in 1999. I was on the Empress OTS in 1993, when she was known as the Nordic Empress. Design-wise, the Empress has always been the more modern ship in its public areas. It has a beautiful atrium and a beautiful 2-level dining room. In the public areas, the Zenith reflects the design of cruise ships from the '80's. No atrium, just a minimalist lobby. The dining room is nicely appointed, on one level. Both ships have nice pool areas. The swimming pools on both ships are salt-water. In terms of cabins, the Zenith is more modern than the Empress. The cabins on the Zenith are much bigger. The Empress reflects the tiny, "pack-'em-in-like-sardines" design that prevailed on the Royal Caribbean ships of the 1980s. The newer Royal Caribbean ships are much improved.

As for the Crown Princess, it is a sister ship to the Caribbean Princess, and similar to the Grand, Golden and Star Princess. I have been on the Golden and the Star Princess in 2002 and 2003 respectively. These ships are more than twice the size of the Zenith and the Empress OTS. There are several pools, and they are all fresh-water. There are three dining rooms, and several alternative restaurants. While I prefer to cruise the Caribbean in the Spring (March, April are my favorite months), I found the itinerary of the Crown Princess attractive simply because Bermuda is part of it. Okay, it's a short port call, especially in comparison to the other itineraries where Bermuda is the only destination. However, the big attraction to traveling on the Crown Princess is not necessarily where it goes, but the ship itself.

That, in a nutshell, is my summary. I am booked on the Empress of the Seas. Leaving from Philadelphia, and traveling with friends, are the two factors that influenced my decision. My second choice was the Crown Princess.

In the final analysis, if the weather is good and the seas halfway calm, we will have splendid vacations no matter what ship we are on.

Joan

• 4 weeks later...

Now remember this is just my opinion;) I think the only real way to see Bernuda is on a small ship like NCL's Crown & Majesty or X's Zenith as these can do all 3 ports..There is nothing like being on deck and going through "The Cut" on the approch to St. George or to be able to dock right on Front Street in Hamilton and sadly I feel that these days are comming to a close with the sail of the NCL Crown, The 2007 season to Bermuda will be her last and I do not see the Cruise lines building the smaller ships any more. So as these small ships get old and retired the cruisers of tomorow will know know what it is like to sail through "The Cut" it is truly an amazing site..Well I guess I really should get down from my soap box:o

By the way next July (2007) we have the NCL Crown booked for my 3 trip to the Island and I fear it will be my last as to me it does not make sense to me to fly there as it is too expensive..

I konw I rambled but I hope I helped....

I'm partial to Zenith. Celebrity does a good job and the cabins are 172 sq. ft.

I think Empress is smaller. I like going the ports in Bermuda.....

Been on the Zenith twice and only two times I ever got seasick was on the Zenith.:( ..small and closed up. so feel bad weather more..... BUT each to their own.. Only my opinion.....

Archived