Mediterranean Cruise: When to Book?

I think it depends on what you want, higher prices and larger crowds (summer months when) or lower prices and risk the weather. Spring and Fall weather can be a little less predictable and is definately cooler. Summer time, from what I've read, tends to be sunny and hot. A lot of people take vacations or holiday in the summer time and there are larger crowds. When we went in October, I didn't think the crowds were all that bad. Weather in the fall is cooler but, it seems as if you risk the chance of rain a little more and perhaps slightly rougher sea's. We did get rained out for our evening gondola ride in Venice but weather overall wasn't to bad. We had some rain in Corfu, rough sea's the night we were sailing to Corfu (not bad, just a little rougher than normal) and damp weather in Venice. Overall, I'd opt to avoid the heavy crowds and sail either in the spring or the fall again but, we like cooler weather and don't mind a little rain.

IMHO you need to book the cruise very early. We are going in Oct. and we booked last June or July. We have been planning and booking our drivers and guides since then. Now it is all done and we are ready for Oct. to come. We prefer less crowds and cooler weather in the fall. Better itinerary too.

next week for July 2007 Greek Island Cruise. We are getting a group rate so we try and book early to get as many amenity points as possible and the best rate. The great thing is if your travel agent watches the rates and they go down you can get the new rates most often and you can apply coupons if they exist. Our sailing has one. You can even combine it with the Diamond Balcony/Suite Credit.

We see no down side to this. We get our pick of cabins and the best prices possible.

DEM920

tdembek@optonline.net

Only done one Med cruise, in June, the weather was mixed, rainy when we left Barcelona but gorgeous for the rest of the week.

July/August tend to be scorchers - I was in Spain a couple of years ago in Sept and temp was always above 100 - around 110 in Valencia

September IMHO probably the best month - fewer kids and weather more temperate, but should be in high 70s/low 80s. We are going on a Western Iberian cruise at end Sept on Legend, I would expect temp to be mid to late 70s once we hit Spain/Portugal

May & Oct more of a risk but chances are the majority of the weather will be nice.

Greek Island cruise on Spelndour looks superb - spend a few days in Venice and prices are not too bad either on the Web at the moment

We did a Med cruise last year on the Galaxy in September and had great weather for the entire trip. I guess the crowds were a little smaller as well since school had probably started by then.

Archived