Laptops on the Dawn

seraph

I wanted to bring my laptop on the Dawn. I know that there are rentals available, but I want to bring mine mainly to use it for itunes and also for personal reasons. Is it safe to leave it in the cabin? I was told that it wouldn't fit in the safe.

Thanks!

I wanted to bring my laptop on the Dawn. I know that there are rentals available, but I want to bring mine mainly to use it for itunes and also for personal reasons. Is it safe to leave it in the cabin? I was told that it wouldn't fit in the safe.

Thanks!

I have brought mine every cruise. I leave it on the desk. Keep in mind with 2000+ cameras and no way to get it off the ship none of the wonderful crew is going to risk their job and take it. I my opinion your laptop is much safer onboard then in any hotel:cool:

Mine generally gits in safes. Some of the new, super wide screen ones would be tight. Though I have left it out in the open, you could reduce the chance by making it harder to find and take.

I have taken mine along and left it on the desk in the cabin. I've never had a problem with ANY item of ours being touched. Of course, any cash, credit cards, jewelry and other such items are either in the safe or on our bodies.

I like having the laptop along for journaling and downloading digital pictures every day. Itunes is great as well. Nice to have our own music library along.

Have fun!

Hikini:D

For those that have taken their labtop .... how did you hook it up? Wireless or dialup in the cabin. I know you can go to the internet cafe but I am wondering about using it in my cabin.

Thanks

For those that have taken their labtop .... how did you hook it up? Wireless or dialup in the cabin. I know you can go to the internet cafe but I am wondering about using it in my cabin.

Thanks

What Ship???

The newest ships - POAM, POHI, Jewel have Ethernet ports in all the cabins.

Star, Dawn have Ethernet in the penthouses.

WIFI is available in public areas on all ships. Generally in the Internet café, Atrium, and pool areas but not in the cabins.

I generally create everything off line in the cabin, go to the java café, login, send receive, log off. You can set up key websites to read offline.

I took ours on our last trip and just basics tucked it in the closet when we left the room...kind of the "out of sight out of mind" rule more than to protect it from theft. The IT person in me though wants to remind everybody that they should have their system password protected with a complex password (alpha AND numeric characters at least 6 digits in length...mine is actually 12 characters-remember, I'm in IT so I'm just a little paranoid about security) as well as your onboard internet password (remember, you pay a good penny to use the internet on the ship). If nothing else it keeps the honest employee honest. (Microsoft users go to your control panel and select the users icon - XP or higher)

Archived