Anyone ever convert from double to solo?

Lovadona

Hi all :)

I am booked on a cruise in October (RCCL Serenade of the Seas) with a friend. It turns out he may not be able to go. I know if that comes to pass, my friends and family will feel sorry for me but you know, I am MORE than ok with cruising solo! I'm just not sure what will happen when I call my TA to convert the reservation to a single. The cruise is almost paid for and the prices have gone up since I originally booked. I don't want to approach my TA until I am 100% sure there will be a change, so my question is.... Has anyone ever made this type of change in a reservation and if so, did you get to keep your original booking price with the single supplement? I'm just a little worried it'll "reset" the whole reservation and I'll have to pay the single supplement on the higher price. Can anyone give me some insight or their experience with this?

Thanks!

There won't be any problem changing the reservation, but the cruise line can, and probably will, charge you a change fee along with the single supplement. BUT, your friend has to decide whether or not to cruise before the penalty phase starts. Which means, he needs to decide before final payment is due, which is usually 70 days or more before the cruise date.

• 2 weeks later...

on my last crise, i had booked single-share. the price dropped enough so that with the single supplement there was only a $50 difference. i also went from a k to an m. i was also charged a $50 change fee, but it was worth the $100 extra to spread out all over the cabin.

My parents had to cancel their reservation one week before the cruise. I took their place and the total cost was recalculated. I ended up paying the whole single rate, which was a little lower than the initial reservation for two, this was because it was too late to cancel the whole thing (they wouldn't get a refund anyway).

Marilyn

Thanks for the feedback. I did talk to my TA and if I end up solo, I'll save a whopping $183, which is mostly the port charges and taxes. I should know fairly soon and I'm certain things will go the way they are meant to be. Either way, I am excited!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived