Arcadia: Balcony overlooked

Mister T

We are new to cruising and have booked E182 aft balcony on Arcadia Carribean Classic.

It says on our booking confirmation 'Balcony overlooked'.

Can this be a problem as we were told the views are good or should we change cabins?

We had a corner suite on C deck.Yes, the balcony was overlooked, at least in part.

It wasn't a problem for us, but we didn't spend too much time on the balcony. I'd prefer one that is not overlooked, but then the aft suites are quite nice anyway.

How much do you care about being overlooked? I don't think you will ever get 100 privacy on one of these modern apartment block type ships if you are on the balcony - but I'll defer to the views of others on that one.

FYI. This is a photo I took looking down from the aft Lido Deck to remind me not to take an Aft Balcony, although we do not tend to be in the cabin much! I hope it helps you to decide.

Arcadia_Aft_Balconies.JPG.6f654f0ced7698eacd52d67edf3036de.JPG

Hi, As you've got one of the sought after aft balconies, I'd tend to keep it. I spend a lot of time in the cabin and balcony as it's nice ot have your own space.

Balconies are odd things. Some people want complete privacy, some want the largest, others want the middle of the ship for the least movement. Some people insist on being in the sun all the time and want no cover, other people worry if they can't see through the divider.

The aft balconies are big and give a spectacular view of the wake which some people go mad over - have a look at some of the Princess postings. The down side is that you can get a lot more movement in bad weather and the tier design of some ships means you can be overlooked.

Looking at where your cabin is, you'll be overlooked if you walk out to the rail, otherwise you'll be private. You'll also have a good combination of sun and shade.

I think you've made a great choice and I hope you really enjoy it.

BTW This website has some great photos of the balconies http://magwa.fotki.com/ships/arcadia/exterior_photos/

HTH Soraya

I have just come off ARCADIA's last cruise. At sailaways and sail-ins people tend to be on the Sun Deck - esp sailaway parties, and stand by the rail. They will, by human nature, look down at these balconies - I did!

I also took a photo, see my photosite: www.sveale.photosite.com

I unintentionally took a photo of a elderly lady sunbathing topless... she obviously didn't care she was been watched!!

We have been deciding on a cabin for our next cruise on Arcadia in the last few days, and had a chance of a aft cabin , but have decided the noise of the propellers/ and lack of privacy outweighed the pleasant view...it is up to you and how you feel about being peered at!

sue

Hi - We're booked into an aft balcony for the Caribbean and are really looking forward to having all that extra space, complete with our own sun loungers (Hope P&O will have sourced some flame retardant mattresses by December).

We had an aft balcony on the Explorer of the Seas a couple of years ago and loved it. We experienced no noise at all from propellers, and loved reclining in our own space with a drink and a good book on sea days.

No hunting around the sun deck for sun beds only to find people had draped towels and deposited books on many of them!

If it's too hot you can simply withdraw into the shade without mounting another sunbed hunt.

When people say that you will be overlooked, I suppose it depends on what sort of activities you want to get up to on your balcony! icon12.gif

Personally, I think you are far more 'overlooked' by people around you on the sun decks and if people want to stand and stare maybe they should get out more, although they’re probably thinking ‘I wish I had as much space on my balcony’ icon7.gif

In the evening as you sail away to your next port of call looking out over the wake is so relaxing.

Don’t be put off by others who haven’t had one – try it and if it doesn’t suit you then at least you’ll know better next time, but I think you’ll love it.

Happy cruising.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mr T

We also have an aft balcony E187 for our Panama Canal cruise this Christmas. I am not too concerned about being overlooked as the E deck cabins are on the lowest balcony level and are not as exposed as the decks above, from looking at Sues photos you would only be overlooked by the balconies on the decks above you. I saw the Arcadia in St Martin last year when we were on the Century and I had a good look at the aft of the ship and I definitely won't be changing our cabin, can't wait to sit on our aft balcony as we cruise the Panama Canal!

I took this photo of the aft cabins if you want to have a look

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/image.php?id=49919

Lisa

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have booked your cabin too for another cruise. Is E187's balcony as big as say someone who overlooks us? Fantastic photos by the way. Initially I wanted E187 but the TA suggested another one that was 268 sq.ft. After seeing your photograph, I thought, 'no', I have go to to the Aft. Would like to hear from you and your comments, Best regards, Kimmy UK

Hi Kimmy

When are you going on the Arcadia? We are on the Pamana Canal Xmas cruise so you will have to wait a few months before I can post any more pictures of the cabin! I booked this cruise in April last year before the ship was even launched! The aft cabins usually book up pretty early especially on a Panama canal itinerary so when I saw this one with the early booking discount I grabbed it!

Mister T

We have just returned from J615 and had C193 aft corner suite. I never really noticed the other passengers looking down. Besides if you were up on deck sunbathing there would be lots of passengers looking at you. I guess you aren't planning to go nude sunbathing so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Also the lower decks do have a slight overhang which does shelter you from prying eyes!! I loved the suite and would book one again. The way I looked at it is if they are desperate enough to waste their holiday staring down at me (looking like a beached whale) then that is their (other passengers) problem. Most that were looking up on the main deck were just looking at the same view as me!! My picture is too big to put on this board, but if you would like to see some photos please e mail me at elaine61@fsmail.net

Hey Mister T

we were also on the same cruise as Elaine we seem to follow each other about LOL , we had C 197 central aft and would not of swapped that cabin for anything , yes it was overlooked but so what , you are overlooked whilst sitting around the pool areas and the decks. The views of the wake were wonderful and you did not feel hemmed in as in the balconies at the sides of the ship and if you wanted to you could sit towards the rear of the balcony (IE near your cabin doors) still be in the sun but out of eye line of people above. The other good point about having this cabin / balcony was that talking to other passengers for a normal balcony cabin it was a lot larger and the balcony much larger than others had.

Just wish other ships offered the same ship layout as stated above we would plumb for one of these cabins every time

Hi Abbafan,

Unfortunately we are not going on the Arcadia until January 2008. All flights for the cruise we wanted on this ship for January 2007 were fully booked. We could have booked independantly, but it was quite a lot extra. I have just returned from the Grand Princess Grand Med cruise and wanted to do another cruise for my 50th in January and thought the Arcadia's itinerary was ideal for the Caribbean islands we wished to visit. Cannot believe that I shall have to wait until January 2008, but will probably do a cruise on Celebrity in January if a deal comes up on the teletext, otherwise it is Tenerife. I am just enquiring about the balcony aspect because at the moment we could change to another cabin if we so wish. However, I think E deck will be OK as we shall not have anything in front of us, only the s-e-a. Have thought about booking a Panama canal cruise so your comments will be much appreciated.

Thank you for replying. Kimmy UK

We have had an aft suite on Arcadia a couple of times now and also have one booked for the Panama Canal over New Year 2007/8. They are wonderful, and there is absolutely no problem with being overlooked. Yes, occasionally someone looks down, but in my experience, only for a moment or two.

The benefits are tremendous and I would never want anywhere else now, even if it meant a cabin rather than a suite.

We have had an aft suite on Arcadia a couple of times now and also have one booked for the Panama Canal over New Year 2007/8. They are wonderful, and there is absolutely no problem with being overlooked. Yes, occasionally someone looks down, but in my experience, only for a moment or two.

The benefits are tremendous and I would never want anywhere else now, even if it meant a cabin rather than a suite.

I think there are significant disadvantages to a rear balcony. I like to be able to see where you are going, not where you have come from. I accept that this is a personal observation however.

What is more obvious is that the props/pods are at the rear, and therefore there is likely to be more vibration, especially when docking. We normally have a cabin not too far back from the Bridge and have often docked without being aware of it. On the other hand, I had a rear suite on Midnatsol, and every time we came into a night time port I was woken by the vibration. Given that on some nights it stopped more than once, this wasn't fun!

I do like complete privacy.

I also felt that too much of the space was taken up with the balcony, and that the suite itself (Barcelona suite - the number eludes me) was too small. It wasn't a suite at all of course - just a cabin. A suite has more than one room!

But that's the trouble with these modern ships - they are floating apartment blocks.

Archived