HAL for a family?

bigscrb15

Hello! I have sailed on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. We are now planning a family cruise with 11 people. We have 3 parents(40's) 6husband&wifes(20-26y/o) and 2 16y/o's. We like higher class accomodations and food. We found a cruise we like on HAL and wondering how it would compare to the other lines. We like to party a little bit but not real hard. I would appreciate any comments. Thank You!

Since HAL ships have no rock climbing walls, ice rinks and such I'm afraid your 16-year-olds might not have as much fun. Some older teens have reported having a great time, however. But the Club HAL activities are geared for younger kids. Maybe since there are two of them they can hang out together and have a great time. But I'd be sure they would be happy with that arrangement before I committed to the cruise.

To some extent I'm going to disagree with Jim. I think it depends a great deal on the timing and itinerary as to how the teens will do.

If you plan to travel when there are likely to be other teens and/or you will be on an itinerary that will fill their days this might still work out all right for all concerned.

There are more activities for teens on Carnival than HAL from my experience on these two lines. As for partying, there's definitely more of a party atmosphere on Carnival-- a lot more nightlife on Carnival than HAL.

I like that about HAL--I like a quieter atmosphere.

I will agree with RuthC as well. The itinerary and time of year will determine the number of younger people on board. When we cruised the Mexican Riveria for 7 days in Jan '06 - our 14 year old met 4 kids that he became good friends with. We cruised the Eastern Caribbean in March 2006, being spring break, he met probably 30 or 40 others he hung around with. We will probably continue to cruise in Jan - I don't care for a lot of kids on board. I will admit, all the youngers that were on board were extremely respectful and very well behaved. It was nice to see people under 21 that have manners and respect other people.

I think you will find this to be more of the group that HAL attracts. Not a "party ship" by any means. Having a good time - yes!!!!! If someone things they have to be drunk to have a fun time, maybe they should look at other lines that offer a party atmosphere. We certainly have had a wonderful time without having to be "drunk".

There was a day when they offered "make your own bloody mary" in the morning, then there was a Martini class, then wine tasting at 3. We met a gentleman who had gone to all 3. He was fine, he paced himself.

I don't think you will see people throwing up over deck, and then falling over never to be seen again (RC), or issues of late party nights where we have a murder investigation the next day (RC). The class of people is just different.

Go with HAL. You've have a great time with numerous activities, lots of entertainment, supurb food, excellent service - and a great group of people to hang out with. Holland America is the classic cruise experience - not a party ship.

Deb

We agree also with RuthC, not too long ago we took our two teen (18) son's on the O'dam down the mexican riv. It was hysterical, they looked at some of the seating and said "we're not worthy" LOL and that was outside the elevators. I gave them some cash for room service tips and they were in seventh heaven. My wife and I, as they stayed next door, went past a steward carrying all these chocolate cake slices, I mean big ones. We stopped, looked and there he went into dear son's cabin. We laughed.

They loved the shows, loved getting dressed up, I told them when do you get to see us all looking good. They even put up with Cat doing the photo things.

Case in point, we asked them, since we are all going to alaska in '98 if they'd prefer NCL's freestyle cruise (going at the same time) or HAL again for a more traditional cruise experience and explained the differences. They chose HAL without a second thought, that's telling.

Each cruise is different, but HAL was a winner for us.

As far as your kids go it will depend on when and where you travel. We've been on HAL twice. The first time was a 10 night cruise on the Maasdam in late Oct/early Nov. There weren't more than 10 - 20 kids on the ship. The last day I asked a couple of girls in their mid-late teens about it and they said it was "not bad", they hung out with some of the staff.

The second time we went it was a 7 night cruise on the Zuiderdam during spring break. We took our girls (15 and 17 at the time) with us and they had a great time. Any ship is going to have lots of kids during school break. HAL probably doesn't have as many as other lines which can be an advantage. Spending spring break on Carnival three years ago there were 600 kids. Additionally, many rooms were 3 - 4 to a room, making the ship more crowded. On HAL there were plenty of teenagers to keep them occupied, but no so many as to overrun the ship.

Archived