Trust A Formal Shirt to On-Board Laundry Service?

Leo Jay

At the risk of sounding like Felix Unger...

It occurs to me that with two formal nights on my upcoming Legend cruise, I'll have to have my formal shirt laundered on board. It's quite a nice shirt, so I'm not sure it's prudent to trust the on-board laundry service unless they're used to dealing with items that require special handling. I could hand wash it, but I'm not sure what condition the public irons will be in -- on my last cruise (with only 1 formal night) the public irons were just fine for my regular shirts, but with a bright white formal shirt, a dirty, rusted or leaky iron is a disaster waiting to happen.

Has anyone trusted a delicate item to on-board laundry service? What kind of results did you get?

My DH had his tuxcedo shirt done on our last two cruises. Didn't run into any problems. Next cruise has 3 formal nights so I got him a another shirt so he'll have a back up. I think you'll be fine.

at the TSA ALWAYS go through and wrinkle everthing I own......I'm about ready to pack a bag of dog poop as a surprise for them on my next trip:D

Anyway, at one point they pulled out my shoes and didn't put them back. I got a black streak on the collar of my dinner jacket. Celebrity laundry services got it out no problem. My shirts came back beautifully pressed, and when a button broke on my trousers the cabin attendant sent for the tailor and replaced it for me.

The cost is about what we pay in the Chicago area for dry cleaning and pressing...so its no big deal and a lot easier to pack less and re-wear.

Dave:eek:

DH has used the laundry service for his tux shirts on both Celebrity & RCCL. He has never had a problem. The shirts come back clean, crisp and on hangers. Frankly, he thinks that RCCL does a better job than the laundry/cleaners we use at home who seem to make it a practice to smash buttons.

Thanks for the feedback, maybe the service is more expert than I'd imagined it would be. I guess if I have any concerns, I can give them one of my regular dress shirts the first day as a test and see how well they handle it.

DH has used laundry & dry cleaning services on 4 cruise lines and has had no problem at all. We agree that the ship's services are less expensive and often better than we have in our home area.

I have a sequined dress that I send off for pressing or drycleaning aboard ship as the cost is about half the cost of having it pressed or cleaned at home.

Leo Jay: I understand your initial concerns regarding the type of ``expert'' service the ships offer, however remember that all of those fancy costumes the performers wear night after night have to be cleaned somewhere - and you can be sure they're not sent to a laundry in a port of call.:)

Dianne

Leo Jay: I understand your initial concerns regarding the type of ``expert'' service the ships offer, however remember that all of those fancy costumes the performers wear night after night have to be cleaned somewhere - and you can be sure they're not sent to a laundry in a port of call.:)

Dianne

Excellent point -- I hadn't considered the fact that my little formal shirt is nothing compared to the delicate and complicated costumes they usually have to handle! :)

Archived