Question about Canadian Customs

For those of you familiar with Canadian law I have a question. My husband and myself will be taking an Alaskan cruise that debarks in Vancouver. We will have passports since our trip will not be until 2007. On another thread someone posted that one of their relatives that they were traveling was having trouble entering customs in Vancouver because of a DUI would be charged an additional 200.00 for a one day visa..does this makes sense? The reason I am asking is that my husband back in 1982 got a very bad driving offense, it was not a DUI, but never the less it is on his record, a few nights in jail were involved. At the time my husband was 20 years old and did not have the best judgement but that of course has changed. Does anyone have any further information on this? Would it make a difference if we were not going to be spending any amount of time in Vancouver and after our cruise we would go directly to the airport? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

I'm not an expert but I am in Canada. I have never heard of the situation

you describe although there are restrictions on entry to those with

criminal records. This is not actually a Customs matter but an

Immigration matter so you need to refer to Canadian Immigration. I

would strongly suggest that, rather than relying on information from

here that you contact Canadian Immigration directly or the nearest

Canadian consulate office in the USA for direction. You could start

here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.html

When we went to Canada there was nothing to do in respect of immigration. The ship dealt with everything. This was September 2005. It couldn't have been easier.

Although I have no police record, I wasn't asked to confirm that at any stage.

I'm British, if that makes any difference.

To make it all less stressful for all involved I would csomething could go wrong getting off the ship. To save yourself and him the stress of the Customs best to find out ahead of time. Then you will know for sure, if they suggest you paying the money it may be worth it to save everyone the stress of the cruise ending and going through any hassels. But on the other hand if you cruise starts in the US and ends in Canada I am not seeing any issues. What they usually do to people who are not welcome is send them back to the US. So if he has a plane ticket for that same day I am sure they will be fine!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Canada, but I agree that I would check the websites not just rely on personal info. It's not customs that is true it's an immigration issue. Is there anyway he can have his record expunged. That would take care of that.

Other than that, I would suggest contacting the Canadian Consulte if you have one in your area or the closest one to you.

You would not worry about it? I would, if you have a crimanal charge on your record that may prevent you from entering Canada, and if u have a DUI in another country they will turn you around. Yes they end in Vancouver and start elsewhere, but I woudl nto take any risks if it was me! But hey that is just me! I think you may think differently if you were travelling with someone in this similar situation!

I didn't mean that it was a silly question because it isn't. I would just think that as long as there aren't any warrents there shouldn't be any reason for someone to get rejected for something they did years ago. I'm sure there are many people who travel across the border who, at some point in their lives, have had problems with the law.

Anyway, it would probably be a good idea to look into it just to set your mind at ease. If it turns out that there is a problem it doesn't make much sense.

Thanks to all the replies and the advice. Now here again lies another problem, since we live in North Dakota both myself and husband have no problem whats so ever crossing over the border into Canada for shopping, we have never been stopped and questioned, as long as we have our photo id's and we also carry our birth certificates there has never been a problem. So this is why I was kind of wondering if the procedure would be the same in Vancouver. And when we travel we also will have passports since it will be required to have them by 2007. As far as a DUI record my husband nerver has had one of those but his brother did back in the early 80's and that has never prevented him from entering Canada, in fact he usually goes up north to hunt and that requires him to carry a firearm and there has been nothing said about his DUI. So I am not sure if this is a hit and miss thing. Both my husband and myself decided that if we have to pay the fine then so be it, we will just put aside extra money, but as far as being refused into the country I really can't see that happening since we have never been refused in to Canada ever before. But it sure does give a person something to think about and the old saying that your past can come back to haunt you is certainly true.

Nothing to worry about. Don't listen to rumours. You will not be bothered.

Enjoy your trip.

Griswalds

Thanks to all the replies and the advice. Now here again lies another problem, since we live in North Dakota both myself and husband have no problem whats so ever crossing over the border into Canada for shopping, we have never been stopped and questioned, as long as we have our photo id's and we also carry our birth certificates there has never been a problem. So this is why I was kind of wondering if the procedure would be the same in Vancouver. And when we travel we also will have passports since it will be required to have them by 2007. As far as a DUI record my husband nerver has had one of those but his brother did back in the early 80's and that has never prevented him from entering Canada, in fact he usually goes up north to hunt and that requires him to carry a firearm and there has been nothing said about his DUI. So I am not sure if this is a hit and miss thing. Both my husband and myself decided that if we have to pay the fine then so be it, we will just put aside extra money, but as far as being refused into the country I really can't see that happening since we have never been refused in to Canada ever before. But it sure does give a person something to think about and the old saying that your past can come back to haunt you is certainly true.

• 2 weeks later...

..whenever you cross the border...does the Canadian Immigration officer ever ask if either one of you has a criminal record? If you've never been asked that question...then I wouldn't think you would have a problem entering Canada...but I wonder what would happen if you offered that information on your next trip. It would be interesting and perhaps a foretelling of events in Vancouver.

I have been asked that question upon entering the US in a car...but I don't have any criminal record....but have heard stories (and they are all heresay..I wasn't there)...of cruisers being turned away at the Vancouver port upon starting a cruise....but that isn't your circumstances. Upon disembarking a cruise in Vancouver...I've never been asked that particular question.

Truly....phone the Immigration Office...and find out the rules....in that way....there will be no surprises....hopefully. Try to get a written copy of the rules, too. I was given misinformation from the Immigration officer regarding which city we'd go through Customs. Our first port after Alaska was Victoria....but I was literally stunned that we did not go through Customs....it wasn't until the next day in Vancouver. The Immigration officer told me it would be Victoria...wrong information.

Good Luck!

Please check with Canadian Customs but I believe that in Canada a DUI/DWI is considered a felony and a felony can keep you from getting admitted into Canada if you are not a Canadian citizen returning to Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

When you drive through Canadian Customs at the busier crossings your car license is scanned and they examine the criminal record of the registered owner. This helps determine how much attention they should give to you. Is the car registered to you or your husband?

I would definitely check what the current law is now. I immigrated to Canada many years ago and upon returning to Canada after a visit to the States the border guard was unfamilar with my old landed immigrant papers. I was threatened with being refused entry into Canada despite having legal papers. I was let in but had to be at the office 12 hours later while they did further checking on my file. I was lucky and the woman who was there found me right away. I was terrifed. Be absolutely sure you have the right papers and if you are asked a question half the time they already have the answer so do not lie.

Crossing a border is serious business.

• 6 months later...

Well, I know this is an old thread but this really sounds scarry and just wanted to bring it to peoples attention again by bumping it up expecially if some of you need to be concerned about this.

I might be one of them, OK we all make a mistake one time or another. :(

At least I learned from mine!

Have any of you had problems through immigration/customs when coming in for a cruise and wasn't aloud to board ship, have to pay a fine for past mistakes or sent back home?

IF so please help out and tell us what to expect!

Thanks, CJ :) :)

Although it was 17 years ago for my DUI I hope it does'nt stop me from getting into Canada for my cruise or to visit. By the way I did'nt hurt anyone and like I said I learned from that mistake. I was going through a divorce and believe it or not that was the first time I drank and drove and got caught.

Why don't you just get your criminal record annulled? Seems like spending a little bit of $$ now could save lots of questions in the future. I don't know about all states but in NH a misdemeanor or violation charge has an annulment process that is easy to do on your own and it only costs around $150. You are then able to answer "no" if ever asked if you have been convicted of a crime. Of course this process probably only works for those who only have one conviction on their record (I've seen it done for 2, but they were related charges sentenced at the same time).

I do have some experience in this area but it is not all that recent..I do know still that the answer to the "Question" is most important and that having it "Annulled" getting a "Pardon" or what ever the terminology is in your juristriction does NOT change the "Answer" the "Answer" will alway be "Yes I was convicted" of such and such and it was whatevered.

Getting caught in a "White lie" is just as bad as an out right lie and this applies going both ways a the border.

If you have doubts and you must have since you posted here in a Public Forum, please go to the Authorites involved and find out from the source .

Archived