Cup Match in July

karensi

We will be sailing on the Zenith to Bermuda in July. I have heard that the Cup Match (a sailing race) is held then and it could effect taxi service and crowds. Does anyone know when this Cup Match is?? Thank you, Karen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We have been to Bermuda during Cup Match, and yes it did effect the transportation, and also, several businesses closed during the afternoon hours. The Cup Match is very, very big in Bermuda. If at all possible, I suggest picking a different week. We have sailed to Bermuda at least 7 times, and will be doing our 8th cruise there in October.:)

On the other hand anyone looking for an authentic Bermuda experience should consider going to Cup Match. Bermudians love Cup Match and if they're not at the field watching it they have their radios set for the coverage. Last time I was there someone set up a special section in the stands for people who weren't familiar with cricket - some Bermudians would explain the game to you as it was being played so that you knew what was going on.

Bermudians also love camping that weekend so you'll see lots of tents in fields near the beaches and many Bermudian families enjoying the holiday with picnics and BBQs. As it is a public holiday many stores will be closed but most tourist attractions should be open.

Archived