Yes another shopping question

linsue1231

Some shops close until the "season" begins on the French side.. not that many were open in late Sept. last time we were there... other than shopping and dining not much on French side (which is also more expensive than the Philipsburg area)

Shopping in PBurg gives you the lowest prices in the Caribbean on liquor and jewelry. Don't shop anywhere else for that. You can also get all kinds of tourist goods with an emphasis on tropics and beach stuff. Good buys on linens, cigars and tablecloths.

Shopping on the French side is totally unlike PBurg. There are incredible unique French items. Clothing, footwear and designer goods are prominent. If you know where to go, there are shops that offer fantastic goods that can not be found at anywhere near the price in the US. One shop has awesome silk flowers that are the finest I have ever seen. Another store has French interior decor items and linens that is beyond belief. You absolutely cannot find those in the US anywhere. Le West Indies Mall has many high-end shops, some very unique shops and some good value shops. There is a decor shop that sells very high quality French tablecloths and other similar merchandise that we always visit.

Go here for some images of the type of goods in mentioned above.

The French side is far more picturesque than the Dutch side. It also has the finest villas on the island and by far the most incredible beaches. Grand Case is the gourmet capital of the Caribbean so the food is exquisite. Lots of great vantage points for beautiful pictures. It's like going to France in many ways. When we stay on the island we spend 80% of our time on the French side and love it. The Dutch side is very commercialized with McDonalds, Burger King and many other US type stores.

The local alternative to shopping at the dock is on Front Street, in 'downtown' Philipsburg, the area that kal refers to as PBurg. It is a short Water Taxi or cab ride from the pier, or maybe a twenty minute walk from the port gates. The very best shopping in the Caribbean!

I see that kal has stolen my usually secret information on the values of linens and tablecloths here, so I'll just sneak in a quick mention of Rima's, which is a great spot to shop for beach wear and inexpensive souveniers, but it's probably a cab ride away, or a great stop if you're on a tour, as it is quite a walk from the main shopping area on Front Street.

gary

We were very disappointed last week that the shops in Marigot were closed for Ascension Day. It was very beautiful over there and we had hoped to find Chanel, Lacoste, Hermes. It was difficult to tell what is available because of things being closed. We returned to P'burg and shopped for jewelry. I was very pleased with the quality and prices in St. Maarten. It was on par with what I've gotten from Cozumel but St. Maarten was so beautiful with a nice beach parallel to the shopping on Front St.

• 2 weeks later...

Kal and gtaylor (and anyone else who knows!)--

When you speak of linens for sale here, what kinds of things can you find and do you know specific stores? I love pretty tablecloths and napkins and such, and will only be here that day, so I would love the locations and names of specific stores if you know them so I don't waste time looking! Thanks for any help you can be!

Denise

Kal and gtaylor (and anyone else who knows!)--

When you speak of linens for sale here, what kinds of things can you find and do you know specific stores? I love pretty tablecloths and napkins and such, and will only be here that day, so I would love the locations and names of specific stores if you know them so I don't waste time looking! Thanks for any help you can be!

Denise

There are 2-3 shops on Front Street in Philipsburg that sell inexpensive hand-made tablecloths. Easy to find, just look for their signs as you walk down the street.

Another is Rima's on Pondfill Road

The very best quality can be found in Marigot at le West Indies Mall. Go to the north end of the second floor and look for Deco Shopping. Most of their goods are from Provence in France and are excellent.

Archived