Back from Carnival Spirit 5/17-5/24 !!

YellowRoseTexas

Back from the trip (Vancouver to Anchorage - starboard balcony room - Verandah level) and it was great. Great Weather...No rain the whole time...everyone was amazed. Any questions that I can help with my one measly FUN trip I would be happy to answer IF I can....We did the Glacier View Mendenhal Kayaking/Ketchikan - Mist Fjords Flight / Juneau - Yukon Rail /Skagway - Walked Sitka / Portage Glacier w/airport In Whittier to Anchorage.

Did you bring back the Capers for us? We have a year to plan for our cruise--we need to get started really quickly! :)

DH and I want to eat at Nouveau's one night. Which night would you recommend, considering the ports?

I second the request for Capers!

What do you wish you had known earlier in the cruise? What is a "must do", "must eat", "must see"? How 'bout just the opposite - what shouldn't we bother with?

Did you find any neat little shops?

How was the Portage Glacier trip? Would you do it again? We're doing the pre-cruise and I'm hoping we can work it out to do the Portage Glacier thing before we board.

Did you talk to anyone who booked a post-cruise in AK with Carnival? Did they tell you what hotels they were staying at? (Having a devil of a time getting that info from anyone!)

What wildlife did you see from your balcony? Whales?

Heck...I want to know it ALL!!!!! ;)

Oh please...do give more details.....I am 40 days till Southbound on Spirit. How was the weather???

swansonia...puhleeeeze be sure to post a full review when you get back, too. I'm doing Southbound next year but am obsessed with this cruise like I have not been with an recent ones. Do you have an excursions booked? Which ones? If you happen to pick up an extra set of Capers...

Welcome back partner (had to throw a little Texas in there). Glad to see you're back and had a great time to boot. You'll have to post a review. Can't wait until the SB group gets back. Maybe I can convince someone for those capers.

Ahoys:

DH and I want to eat at Nouveau's one night. Which night would you recommend, considering the ports?

The first night we all ate in the Empire room on our reservation FYI - you can wear what you came on the boat in that night because luggage is still coming on board - If it was me I would do the Nouvea's (which is beautiful) I would do the night that you have to stay on the ship all night which was the second day or the night before we got to Whittier...make reservations early. We didn't go because we got to busy!

Beach for Me:

What do you wish you had known earlier in the cruise? What is a "must do", "must eat", "must see"? How 'bout just the opposite - what shouldn't we bother with?

Did you find any neat little shops?

How was the Portage Glacier trip? Would you do it again? We're doing the pre-cruise and I'm hoping we can work it out to do the Portage Glacier thing before we board.

Did you talk to anyone who booked a post-cruise in AK with Carnival? Did they tell you what hotels they were staying at? (Having a devil of a time getting that info from anyone!)

What wildlife did you see from your balcony? Whales?

Okay - wow - I wish we had known more about disembarking - it was a NIGHTMARE in Anchorage - We did the Portage trip to kill time because we had a flight home at 8:50pm their time so our luggage went to Egan center...we got off the ship at 8am got thru the tour which is okay but we were to early to get to the glacier because the water was still iced, but the captain did do some ice carving to the glacier..by now it is melted and you can get real close to it - it is great. When the driver dropped us off at Egan it was a nighmare of people and luggage and lines for the bus and you are really tired...I would have booked a hotel (oh..there are several by the Egan but Idid not get any names - It is such a small city to me that you can probably do a search and find one close by) anyway, we just were so tired - we got our luggage for the Cranival Sea of Luggage Corner and called a cab...for $25 we took the best ride of the day to the airport!! Next time around we will book a hotel before and after and take our time getting to the airport for sure...would be much less stressful and in Vancouver there are several hotels around the dock area.

There is so much to see...we had a starboard side and we saw much more I think than port!! We saw whales (humpbacks), otters, puffins and lots of birds.

We would not do the Kayak to the Medenhall Glacier again, I was told by BQ that it was calm - but we had high winds that day!!! I prayed we didn't tip over - the guide was a teenager I am sure! She couldn't ID anything we asked about for our short time - we had to go back early because of the winds...I wish we had done a whale watching tour - I highly recommend that for this trip....sad we missed it but we did see lots from our balcony. We LOVED the Misty Fjord Flightseeing in Ketchikan...ask for HAL he was good and you will NEVER forget it! The Yukon Railway is a must too! It is beautiful - saw a black bear too!

We ate on the ship but sometimes at lunch we stopped and had reindeer hot dogs ... yum. Everything on the ship is great - the Empire is wonderful...ask for anything you want - you will get it...the Lido is great too! I love the hot sandwich bar - you may have to wait but it is worth it..there are so MANY different foods...it would take weeks to try everything...dress in loose clothes!

Oh and shops...phew...I only wanted to shop at local areas..the ship promotes big time where to shop..and they own most the shops which really hurts the locals in the ports...these shops actually close down after the ships go home...and we had a few freebee coupons..some of the jewelry shops are big 'bait and swithch' so here is where I went from recommendations here and just browsing -they had great local items: Blue Heron, 123 Stedman, Ketchikan, A Fine Line Alaskan Gifts (she does all her jewelry herself) Skagway - no address on card - but facing town it is on the left side - Annie kaills , 244 Front St., Juneau Alaska. Hope that helps a little

Oh please...do give more details.....I am 40 days till Southbound on Spirit. How was the weather???

Swansonia: It was GREAT. I am not sure why..:) all the locals were in awe..it only rained a little out of Vancouver - we had sunshine the entire time - even in Ketchikan where it always rains! Cold at night on the balcony but we just wrapped up!

HOWDY SEA-U-ONBOARD!!! IT WAS GREAT!!! I have been to alot of beautiful places but this was great!!! My best time was sitting on the balcony just absorbing the greatness of Alaska -

Ohhh..and the locals are so nice....the only complaint I guess I could have is people could have more patience - there are some rude ones - I could not find a reason to be rude with beauty like that around!

Sounds like YellowRoseTexas and I returned with just about the same impressions and experiences. I read on one of the boards where several members were saving money for their excursions by booking an inside cabin. What a pity! My most cherish memory of this cruise was sitting on our balcony, bundled up, and watching the majestic and awe inspiring scenery pass by. We too were on the Starboard side, and I really think we got the better views. It was non-stop, with snowcapped mountains, glaciers, and wildlife. As for excursions, we did the Capt. Larry Whale Watching Tour, Coastal Helicopters in Juneau, and the Railroad in Skagway. We did not need to spend $$$ to do any more than that.

We did tour the various ports, on foot, and browsed through a few shops that seem to be selling the same things in each port. Just being on the beautiful Carnival Spirit, and sitting on the balcony was more than we anticipated.

We didn't need anything else! So to those of you who have not finalized your reservations, do yourself a huge favor...get a balcony and don't spend a bundle on excursions!

swansonia...puhleeeeze be sure to post a full review when you get back, too. I'm doing Southbound next year but am obsessed with this cruise like I have not been with an recent ones. Do you have an excursions booked? Which ones? If you happen to pick up an extra set of Capers...

I promise to do my best with the Capers when I get back, and my DH will do a cruise review...He likes to do that, but if he doesn't, I will, or maybe we both will...I too am obsessed with this cruise. We had pretty much decided on one excursion for each port. I can't list them right now (I am work, but don't tell the boss:eek: ) but I'll get back to you on that question, OK...

I promise to do my best with the Capers when I get back, and my DH will do a cruise review...He likes to do that, but if he doesn't, I will, or maybe we both will...I too am obsessed with this cruise. We had pretty much decided on one excursion for each port. I can't list them right now (I am work, but don't tell the boss:eek: ) but I'll get back to you on that question, OK...

I can't wait for your trip! I want A-L-L the details when you return! :) If you have an extra set of Capers (and the excursion list w/prices that they have on the ship) and would be willing to mail them to me, I'd be more than happy to reimburse you the expense. But, don't sweat it if you can't/don't want to. I will be perfectly happy with A-L-L the details!! ;)

Anxious to hear about your excursions, too!

My cruise is still more than a year away and I'm already thinking about which itinerary to book for 2008. Last time I cruised to Alaska was in 1980 - now all of a sudden, it's the only place I really want to cruise. Well, I am looking forward to the Hawaii cruise I've got booked for January...but I seem to be spending all my time researching/planning Alaska!

We are going on the Carnival Spirit may 30 ,2007.Sorry to say we are one of thoses saving money by doing inside cabin.We took our once in a lifetime Alaska cruise in 2004/with balcony.Just had to go again so something had to go because we wanted to do the one way and air was a lot higher.Are there plenty of places to set on the deck?Also did you do your air w/Carnival out of DFW?If so had did that go?If my ship comes in I will change to balcony.

Sounds like YellowRoseTexas and I returned with just about the same impressions and experiences. I read on one of the boards where several members were saving money for their excursions by booking an inside cabin. What a pity! My most cherish memory of this cruise was sitting on our balcony, bundled up, and watching the majestic and awe inspiring scenery pass by. We too were on the Starboard side, and I really think we got the better views. It was non-stop, with snowcapped mountains, glaciers, and wildlife. As for excursions, we did the Capt. Larry Whale Watching Tour, Coastal Helicopters in Juneau, and the Railroad in Skagway. We did not need to spend $$$ to do any more than that.

We did tour the various ports, on foot, and browsed through a few shops that seem to be selling the same things in each port. Just being on the beautiful Carnival Spirit, and sitting on the balcony was more than we anticipated.

We didn't need anything else! So to those of you who have not finalized your reservations, do yourself a huge favor...get a balcony and don't spend a bundle on excursions!

hi again Oceanhut!! It was nice meeting you! I agree with you the balcony was a MUST! I can't wait to go back again! I will give up excursions or shopping for a balcony again!

We are going on the Carnival Spirit may 30 ,2007.Sorry to say we are one of thoses saving money by doing inside cabin.We took our once in a lifetime Alaska cruise in 2004/with balcony.Just had to go again so something had to go because we wanted to do the one way and air was a lot higher.Are there plenty of places to set on the deck?Also did you do your air w/Carnival out of DFW?If so had did that go?If my ship comes in I will change to balcony.

Did Air w/carinval out of IAH - it was good on the way up - one way, same on the way down - but left at 9:30pm..long day for the last day. I would do my own flight next time.

There are lots of places on the Lido deck to sit both in the buffet area and by the pool - also chairs are all around on the 3rd level (I believe - it will be the level the Empire is on. Who knows...maybe you can get an upgrade when you get there!

Archived