Volendam (May 10-17, 2006) Review - day by day - a first Alaskan cruiser's opinion

crusingici

Wow, I am so thrilled you have enjoyed the pictures -- I figured if I took enough SOME would turn out ok..... but none can tell the true story of the vastness and how manificent it really is and how awed one feels just to be in the presence of such glorious beauty.

Necrosis - I just sent your albums so let me know if you have a problem or do not receive them.

Debjo - the sunset colors ARE amazing, aren't they? I just could not resist snapping --- and to think I was just on my own balcony (returning to Vancouver on starboard side, btw) viewing this glory!!!

DFD1 - I hope you will write a review of your September trip - it will be interesting to compare scenery -- I understand every few weeks it is just a completely different trip.

Tom - glad you enjoyed the photos......looking forward to hearing about YOUR trip to Alaska!!

I've tried to upload one sunset photo & one from Tracy Arm - hope it works here.......

I cannot believe I left this out of my review as I was so impressed with:

The Purell hand sanitizers EVERYWHERE - I even took a photo of one outside the Pinnacle Grill! The staff [I]insisted[/I] we always clean our hands before touching the tray in the Lido and were there at the front door of the Dining Room to squeeze a bit into each passenger's hand. I am always very careful to wash my hands but this made me even MORE aware of the importance of clean hands to keep down illness -- my DH and I SOOOO appreciated the extra effort the crew made to help keep us all healthy.

I also took a photo of the "real" hand towels in the public restrooms - this got to be "old hat" by the time the week was up but I was so shocked and impressed at the beginning of the week that there were real cloth one-time-use hand towels and a "hole in the counter" to drop each one into a bin after one use -- this alone added tons to the laundry crew! wow

Also - one evening I kept "hearing" bells ringing and thought it was part of a music show in a bar - then on another evening I happened to see a crew member dressed up in a "band uniform" ;) tapping chimes!!!! We happened to be in the masses trying to get into the Dining Room door so I did not get a good look at him -- I just read in another post about this being a tradition with HAL?

Could someone shed a bit more light on this for me? I suppose normally they ring chimes for dinner? too cool! :)

I'd love to see your pics, if you wouldn't mind, get a preview of what is waiting for me (though I still have to wait three months!). If you'd send the invite to ontdekken at hotmail dot com

Hi GiCi - Just wrote you a long message, was just about to post it, and, wham, computer did it's thing and I lost it all. Oh, well, just letting you know I'm working on something. Hope to get a review up by tomorrow - IF I don't click the wrong button and IF this computer decides to cooperate! Bucky

I am so sorry, Bucky 3, about the glitch - that is sooooo frustrating - I feel your pain! :mad:

I DO so look forward to your review of your week since it was right after ours. I keep thinking of things I left out of my review like how we never felt like the ship was crowded - and wondered if it were actually full! I am sure it was -but everything was so organized.

Can't wait to read yours! :) I am sure you will shed light on a lot of areas I failed to mention -- when will you next be cruising???

Thanks for your fabulous review of your very recent Alaska cruise on the Volendam. DH and I are booked to do our first Alaska cruise on the Volendam, Sept '06 - and we are SO excited!! Thanks again for your wonderful, detailed "travel diary"!!
:)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived