Passport Question

:D I read that there are a whole bunch of new standards for passports. I'll definately be getting one for my cruise, but I did have one question. Do you have to bring it with you on port? Will a driver's license work just as well? I'm not planning on straying from ports unless I'm on a cruise shore excursion booked through the cruiseline, so I don't see how I could get stranded (barring any freak circumstances) where I would need documentation to leave the island. Looking forward to input!

Also, would anyone recommend getting a regular id card as well just as a back up? I wouldn't wanna become scatterbrained and lose my driver's license!

There are some ports where you are asked to have picture ID to re-board. For these ports I take my DL as well as my seapass. You won't lose your DL if you put it into some sort of holder, such as a waterwallet. Here is an example of one http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=26 This is also a good place to put your cash that you take ashore. You do NOT have to take your passport onshore with you.

There are some ports where you are asked to have picture ID to re-board. For these ports I take my DL as well as my seapass. You won't lose your DL if you put it into some sort of holder, such as a waterwallet. Here is an example of one http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=26 This is also a good place to put your cash that you take ashore. You do NOT have to take your passport onshore with you.

What ports were you at that you did not need photo ID?

You need a photo ID at any port to get back on the ship is what I'm told.

we use a small holders around neck that holds ship card and DL, works great.

Virgil

Normally, the ship doesn't require a picture ID when you come back from a port of call. They already have your photo linked to your seapass card. Where you may need the photo ID is getting back on the pier. Most US ports and some foreign ports won't let you on the pier without a photo ID AND your cruise card.

When I was on the Coral Princess last week we needed our seacards and govt. issued photo id when we docked in Victoria, Canada. They have everyone's passport info on file. I have a passport, but I only used it at the airports and embarkation. The rest of the time it was in the safe in my stateroom.

NavySis

Archived