Dropping off passengers at Port of New York

DH and I are on the Dawn out of New York on August 5th. We're flying to NJ earlier in the week, and DD will drive us into Manhattan and drop us off at the ship on Saturday.

Has anyone done this? Will signs be clear?

Thanks.

Beth

The signs are very clear for the pier and also there are people directing you as to where to go and stop for passenger drop off. We just did this a couple of weeks ago and our friend had no problem dropping us off, or picking us up at the end of the cruise

I agree that signs are clear... but just in case, there are detailed directions on the Web site of the NYC Passenger Ship Terminal. Click here: http://www.nypst.com/ and then select "Directions and Transport" from the menu column on the left.

My experience with disembarking in NYC is that it can get very crowded. I suggest that your daughter meet you about a block away from the terminal when the cruise is over. My dad has met us on 11th Avenue... we set up the meeting place in advance by scouring the area on embarkation day.

Disembarkment at the terminal curb is doable, especially if you each have cell phones to keep in contact. I would suggest waiting to the right of the line of taxis, exiting the terminal, then your DD can zip past the taxi line and pick you up at the curb. We do the same during dropoff, past the taxi line and and then a few steps to the terminal entrance.

For us, it sure beats dragging the luggage for blocks; did that once in frigid Feb., with a six-pack of liquor bottles and luggage for a 10 night cruise. Not fun ..

Dropping off is far easier then pick-up but at least your DD will then know where she is going. Follow the advice above - cell phone a must !! You can call when in fact you do dock. It will take no longer to drive from NJ then it will take for the first passengers off the ship.

You never know what time you will in fact dock - The Dawn was in yesterday a 7 am first passengers off at 8:30 am. Some weeks first off at 10:30 am.

As far as getting to the pier there are signs but some ways are better then others. Not sure where in NJ you are coming from. From the GW Bridge heading south it is a simple right into the pier.

From the Lincoln Tunnel two routes one better then the other. You can make a couple lefts and head for 12 th ave make a right and head north to the pier. After you pass the ships there is an well marked exit that requires you to loop around to the pier. This is normally the biggest back up.

The alternative is to make a left out of the tunnel. A left of 42nd, a right on 10th until you get to 53rd. There is a sign on a light pole for the left. 53rd takes you straight across 12th an into the pier area.

Someone correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but when we traveled on the Dawn in 2004, I believe cell phones were not allowed to be used in the terminal itself (to prevent potential terrorists from photographing the facilities?), so be sure to phone first from the ship, and then you can phone again once you have left the terminal if your ride is not in sight.

Carol Louise, you are correct ... use your cell phone on the ship and then at the curb, outside the terminal. About 15 min time lapse between getting off the ship, collecting bags, and to the curb.

Actually if she arrives early, your daughter can park the car on the pier but it will cost a hefty $22. Or she can wait at a sidestreet and drive up the ramp after getting a phone call from you, with your location at the curb.

Someone correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but when we traveled on the Dawn in 2004, I believe cell phones were not allowed to be used in the terminal itself (to prevent potential terrorists from photographing the facilities?), so be sure to phone first from the ship, and then you can phone again once you have left the terminal if your ride is not in sight.

The only place you can not use it is in the Customs Hall just like an airport. Once you are in the waiting area cell phones are permitted.

The only place you can not use it is in the Customs Hall just like an airport. Once you are in the waiting area cell phones are permitted.

Shoreguy, Glad you clarified this, the Disembarkation Newsletter states 'Please be advised that the use of the cellular phones on the pier is strictly prohibited'.

This is the second time today I quoted the NCL newsletter and they were wrong. ...:(

Thank you for all the good information. I am excellent with directions plus have lived in NYC so getting there will be no problem, but DD is directionally challenged :D so can only hope she'll be able to find her way back to the port to pick us up.

Shoreguy, Glad you clarified this, the Disembarkation Newsletter states 'Please be advised that the use of the cellular phones on the pier is strictly prohibited'.

This is the second time today I quoted the NCL newsletter and they were wrong. ...:(

I guess it depends how they define "on the pier". Is the lobby and waiting area "on the pier" :D

Archived