Reference Material For Disabled Cruise Travel

Host Walt

On 9/3/2009 at 2:01 PM, belle836 said:

Those are my circumstances as well. Scooter for long walks, cane for short walks, 20 stair steps are my limit. I know I'm gonna get wicked stares from fellow passengers when I "walk" into some venue that I have taken my scooter to and parked in an out-of-the-way spot but I guess I'll survive.:)

My circumstances exactly. I agree with cabins for just scooter needs. I posted this on Facebook and people laughed at me. I let it roll off my back as they don't walk in my shoes and I've heard Karma is a *****.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 4/24/2014 at 7:04 PM, skoeper said:

We've been on countless cruises and have yet to be able to find an accessible one for someone who can't hear. I'm not Deaf (born deaf), but have lost 95% of my hearing due to measles. I read lips, wear hearing aids (which only give me environmental sounds but not speech) and have a great command of the English language. But I can't enjoy the shows or the talks. Does anyone have any recommendations based on your experience or knowledge? I'd REALLY love to enjoy the shows 🙂

I was on a carnival cruise last year and there was a deaf passenger and they had a sign language interpreter for the shows. Omg the comedy show was 100000% funnier with a sign language interpreter! (Esp for the later mature shows omg!!!) wish all comedy shows had a sign language interpreter!!!

I am pretty sure the interpreter was arranged by the cruise line ahead of time by being informed? So I’d reach out as soon as you book to see what accommodations are available to you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Auralee said:

I was on a carnival cruise last year and there was a deaf passenger and they had a sign language interpreter for the shows. Omg the comedy show was 100000% funnier with a sign language interpreter! (Esp for the later mature shows omg!!!) wish all comedy shows had a sign language interpreter!!!

I am pretty sure the interpreter was arranged by the cruise line ahead of time by being informed? So I’d reach out as soon as you book to see what accommodations are available to you. 

Hi!   Yes, I made that post in 2014, but since then have cruised probably 15+ times and have asked the cruiseline to provide a CART typist (captioning).  It has made all the difference in the world, being able to enjoy the shows and muster drills (which were in person until the pandemic).   They even provided the typist tickets to whatever excursions we purchased!  We ended up making a wonderful friend through our favorite typist and request her each time.  She sightsees with us, dines with us, plays cards with us, she's one of the gang 🙂   We have not sailed on Carnival, so not sure their procedure.  I'm glad you loved the interpreter!  While I am only an intermediate signer, I do know interpreters that are truly a hoot!

• Like 2