Explorer of the Seas, have you Cruised recently vs 5 years ago on same ship?

Once EOS was one of the magnificent ships of the fleet. How does it compare to ITSELF now versus 5 years ago? Has anyone cruised EOS again since 5 years ago and noticed a difference? (Anything, positive, negative, etc)

Thanks.

Since you don't have any responses, I thought I'd chime in. We're heading back to Explorer this month for the 3rd time since 2003. Most recently, we sailed her in May 2005. We did not see any differences in wear & tear/general atmosphere of the ship between 2003 and 2005. I know Explorer had a drydock recently (I believe Fall of '05??), so I anticipate when we board later this month that she will be in similar, if not better, condition as our previous sailings. Having sailed on 7 different RCCL's ships since 1998 Explorer is the only ship we've repeated!!

I cruises on her 3 years ago. some minor wear but nothing serious, it seems they are replacing couches ansd chairs.....our Loveseat and 2 chairs in our cabin were brand new. They are always painting and cleaning the ship. Carpets seem to be being replaced in some areas, but in my opinion the ship is in great shape, I think any wear and tear is due to careless passengers, such as an occasional cigarette burn and of curse yur normal traffic....nothing real noticebale though, however I'm sure if you sailed her as a brand new ship maybe you would notice things those of us who sailed her recently would

On the 5/7/06 Explorer cruise they were indeed replacing sofas in many cabins with newly upholstered ones. They were also replacing the headboard area with new material. We received a note in our stateroom the first day stating they were doing this during our cruise. I don't think all cabins received a new sofa however because we had 2 cabins...one got a new one and the other did not.

^ ^ We were on Explorer last month and they replaced our sofa and headboard during our cruise (didn't even see them - very quick, efficient, and quiet!). I'm sure they have to go in stages - they can't do everything at once, so perhaps in time, all the cabins will have new furnishings. :)

Great UPdates! Thank you.

How about other details like:

- Dining room food / service?

- Johnny Rockets / service / food / fees / kids?

- Entertainment?

- Club scene (the Chamber?)

- Portofino's?

- Is there a crow's nest bar/club?

Thank you.

We recently cruised on the Explorer and I must say she looks beautiful and is in great shape. They have replaced all the outdoor carpeting around all the pool areas and the carpeting in many interior areas of the ship as well. They have also upgraded all the bedding in most of the cabins and I thought they were just heavenly- I slept like a baby. We found the dining room to be just gorgeous- we were in the upper level dining (3rd tier) right near the staircase and it was a great location. The service was very good. I didn't get to Jonny Rocket's but my husband and kids did and they loved it- a fee of $3.95 applies. The entertainment I thought was superior- and Clo was our cruise director ( I understand she has now left to have a baby) but boy was she ever hysterical!!!!!!! At the Love and Marriage Show I never laughed so hard in all my life- I thought I would wet myself!!! She certainly made our cruise one to always remember and I mean that!! Portofino's was absolutely incredible and the food was simply unbelievable- a MUST DO!!!! Well that's all I can think of for now but if you have any other questions let me know and I'd be happy to answer them. take care.

Archived