butchart gardens by bus

Hello everyone,

I would love to hear opinions from those that know...We will be in Victoria from 5:00 to 11:59 pm on Saturday, July 1. I would like to take the city bus to Butchart Gardens to save money, but I am wondering how long it will take to get there and more importantly, how long it will take to get from the gardens back to our ship. I am trying to keep in mind that this is a fireworks saturday which i'm sure will add to the traffic congestion. I don't want to book through the cruise ship because I want to spend more than the 2 hours they have alloted for the visit. If a bus would be too crowded/unreliable, should I take a cab or rent a car? Thanks for the advice.

On a Saturday night in the summer time I would be very hesitant to do anything BUT the ship's tour. The fireworks are unbelievably popular (particularily since July 1st is Canada's national holiday) and the traffic leaving the Gardens can be horrendous. If the public bus or taxi (or rental car) you take gets stuck trying to get back into town - you are going to be spending a little more time and money in Victoria. At least by taking the ship's tour, the ship will wait until you are back onboard before leaving (even if that tour bus gets stuck in traffic). Also the traffic (both foot and vehicular) around the Inner Harbour will be heavy that day, again as it's Canada's national holiday and I believe they have fireworks in the Inner Harbour.

I agree with The above poster. I have lived here all my life, and on Canada Day July 1st the whole downtown core is packed with people. Major Traffic Jams, all over. I do not even drive into downtown on this evening you will be stuck there all night long. So I woudl suggest taking the tour the ship offers to make it less stressful on yourself.

Can't reiterate enough what the other posters have said --- by ALL MEANS take the ship tour! The amount of extra money you'll spend on a cab tied up in traffic, not to mention your out of pocket expenses if you miss the ship completely due to traffic congestion on this very busy holiday would be enormous.

The ship will be sure to wait for all it's scheduled excursions to return, but will not wait if you make your own plans.

Dave

Thank you so much for the posts--I had no idea July 1 was a national holiday. That's why I love these boards; there is always someone with the right information ready to help. I'll sign up for the ship's tour today.

• 2 weeks later...

What about a more typical Saturday? We'll be there on June 24th from 6pm to midnight. How much is it for a taxi to the gardens from the dock? Is it easy to get a taxi back to the dock? How long is the drive?

A taxi I wouldl gather would be approx $40 each way. There is a shuttle bus that leaves from outside the Empress hotel, adn If you are interested I coudl find out how much and all that and times. You also have to calculate what time you will need to be back to the ship by.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to take a public bus to Butchart Gardens look at the website www.BCtransit.ca it shows times and maps.

If you want to take a double decker which includes city tour, Castle and Butchart Gardens go to the

Empress and if there is more than two ask for a family rate. It is a slow season and they do bargain - have a friend who drives one. 20 minute walk from the terminal or take the shuttle downtown.

I can't see how you could get back to the ship after the fireworks without a helicopter.

Do you want Tea? DO NOT GO TO THE EMPRESS. They whist away the cups before you have finished so they can seat the next cruise passenger. Go to the James Bay Tea Room behnd the legislature. 1/4 of the price and has an English homey atmosphere. If you want a formal tea go the Historic Ellis House. Take one of the harbour ferries. Delightful and absolutely athentic.

You can also walk down Government St. to chinatown - the oldest in North America. It is fun to roam around the shops. There are a number of good brew pubs downtown too.

My favourite restaurants downtown are Bravo on Wharf and Ill Terrazo.

Have fun and no I don't work in the tourism industry.

My favourite restaurants downtown are Bravo on Wharf and Ill Terrazo.

My absolute favourite restaurant downtown was Bravo as well, but they have changed their name to "Topo's". :eek: I walked by it today, wanting to ask if they are the same owners/chefs, but they were closed.

Marzipan, do you have any insight on this? If not, has anyone else been there since the change?

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

We have plenty of time in Victoria, about 8 hours on a Sunday (Sept 17). Would taking the bus be a good option for us? I assume the bus only takes CAD $. Is there a place nearby where I can make a currency exchange? It might be difficult on Sunday. We are driving from Seattle to Vancouver on Saturday to board the ship. Would it be better to exchange somewhere along that route? Any suggestions as to where? Thanks!!

Thanks giblert. Do you know of a place along the way from the border to Vancouver or in Vancouver where I can exchange currency on Saturday?

We are looking forward to visiting your beautiful part of the world.

Archived