Reading Some Reviews--what Is A Hump Cabin?(splendour, July 2006)

This is our thrd cruise, first with RC and have been told I'll get lots of help etc on the boards. We have booked a cabin with a balcony, deck 7, now wished we had gone for back of ship but dh thinks this might be noisy & breezy? Reading reviews about cabins, what is a hump cabin? Thanks D

This is our thrd cruise, first with RC and have been told I'll get lots of help etc on the boards. We have booked a cabin with a balcony, deck 7, now wished we had gone for back of ship but dh thinks this might be noisy & breezy? Reading reviews about cabins, what is a hump cabin? Thanks D

On most ships, the hull and decks above it form a nice smooth shape that extends form the bow to the stern. So if you have an aft cabin, you can sight down the line of the ship and see most of the way to the bow. On the Voyager ships, the middle section of the ship is actually "bumped out" and balcony cabins on the "hump" actually sit further outboard from the middle of the ship than the cabins aft. So, if you have a cabin that is aft of the hump, you'll have a great view of the horizon, but if you look forward, along the ships decklines, you'll actually not be able to see the front of the ship. You'll see some people partying on their balcony which obscures some of the view to the front of the boat.

We had a balcony cabin well aft of the hump and it was not a problem. We had a great view to the horizon and really didn't care to look forward. However I would think that a balcony cabin immediately adjacent (forward or aft) of the hump would be less desireable because you might feel that there are people on the hump that can look into your room. (The fact that they wear trench coats and always have binoculars in their hands might also make one a bit uneasy, too;))

Splendour doesn't have a hump so it doesn't have any hump cabins.

Radiance class, Voyager class, and Freedom all have an area around the Centrum elevators that bumps out along the sides (in a curve shape) - this area is called the hump. Frequently these cabins have better views, and many have bigger balconies that just a regular side cabin.

I wouldn't want a hump cabin unless I was dead center. Those on the outer edge of the hump itself will have a blocked view to one side. Those cabins near the hump will also have a blocked view to one side.

I was very glad our cabin was far, far forward of the hump and that we could see both forward and aft.

I wouldn't want a hump cabin unless I was dead center. Those on the outer edge of the hump itself will have a blocked view to one side. Those cabins near the hump will also have a blocked view to one side.

I was very glad our cabin was far, far forward of the hump and that we could see both forward and aft.

to an extend.. but the edge humps have balconies twice the size or better than the normal middle of the hump cabins do... we have 8088 on the jewel and I know that the balcony will be awesome.

Archived