ms. Discovery - a short review

rotterdam17601

Likes and dislikes are very subjective. However, having been on 39 cruises on lines such as Holland America (27), Royal Viking (3), Orient Lines (3), Cunard (2), NCL, Regency and Home Lines.......this is how I see it.

SHIP: No, she's not new. No rock climbing walls or ice rinks. She's not a floating palace or a third class motel. Discovery was clean, and her decor tasteful (sorry Joe Farcus fans, no glitz, no neon). The floor to ceiling windows throughout the public areas, not only make the Discovery feel "light and airy", but are also wonderful for viewing the ocean. The white plastic tables and chairs that were in the Lido area have almost all been replaced with teak. The mattresses throughout the ship were being replaced during our cruise (new mattresses came onboard in the Azores), empty cabins were being painted, new carpeting being installed in public areas, and the Lido pool repainted. Discovery seems to be receiving some TLC from her new owners.... in fact, they even had huge Birthday Cake for her on the first anniversary of "Voyages of Discovery" buying the ship from "Discovery World Cruises".

FOOD: In one word, good. Nothing fancy, but a nice selection of items to choose from. If you expect to be served lobster, shrimp, steak and prime rib every night, may I suggest the QE2's Queens Grill, or one of HAL's longer cruises (alas, Royal Viking Line is no longer). The food arrived hot, was tasty, and you had plenty to choose from.

SERVICE: The crew is VERY friendly, and goes out of their way to please. With the possible exception of the Marco Polo, this may be the best staff that I've ever had the pleasure to sail with.

ENTERTAINMENT: Excellent!!! Their singers and dancers put the larger lines to shame (are you listening HAL?). The lecture series was also very much above average. On this cruise there were no comedians, jugglers, or magicians. The Discovery's very talented dance group with their magnificent costumes, was by far the best that I've ever experienced at sea.

Would I recommend the Discovery? Not if your into floating palaces or "grandlux". But....if you're looking for something smaller (about 650 passengers) with no glitz, this may be for you. If you're looking for a friendly, comfortable ship, with good food and excellent entertainment, I would recommend the Discovery. I've already made my booking for next year!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived