Anyone here ever complain about the noise

We've been cruising with our kids since they were two and five and have never received a letter and if I were next door to screaming kids I would complain. It's just not fair NOT to consider that other people's vacations will be affected by our kids if they're screaming.

Two years ago when we cruised on Jewel of the Seas we had a balcony cabin and our kids and one of our friends' kids in an inside directly across the hall. It was the first time we'd had separate cabins and we were in a great location at the very end of a hall so there was only one cabin beside them. The first day we approached the people in the cabin next door to the kids and told them that while they might hear the kids laughing or something during the day we did not expect that they would disturb their neighbours at all. We asked them to get in touch with us right away if they had any problems with noise or whatever. At the end of the cruise the people made a point to come to our cabin and tell us that it had been a pleasure cruising with us and our kids and that they had been polite and not the least bit noisy. We appreciated them telling us that. Kids can be great on a cruise. It's all about respecting everyone's right to enjoy their vacation.

When DH and I were trying to chose a cruise line we did a lot of research on these boards and pretty much eliminated Carnival and RCL precisely because we saw so many posts like this one. One that stands out in my mind was from a single mom who wanted to leave her two young children in the children's area until at least 2 am so she could "party" and wanted to make sure it was open that late. Most of the replies she received seemed supportive of this attitude. Now I have a family member suggesting a reunion cruise on Carnival, so I need to worry about this potential situation (parents who won't parent) again.

Deana: A lot of posts liket the one you descibe are trolls looking for action.

Once cruise line isnt better then the other when it comes to good parenting- what it comes down to is the passengers of that particular sailing.

Once cruise line isnt better then the other when it comes to good parenting- what it comes down to is the passengers of that particular sailing.

While this is absolutely true, I believe the implication is that there will be less children on the more upscale lines that don't cater to kids. Therefore a reduction in the possibility of a problem.

WOW!! I guess I should have done a bit more research before I picked a Carnival cruise in July!!!

Looks like we're in for some yelling and screaming from "loud crying 2 yr olds" and "hyper 7 yr olds"!

Thanks for the insight, I have a guaranteed room so when would I request to not be placed around one of the "quad" rooms? Is that done at the pier?

.....I suppose it is frowned upon to hammer on the bulkhead to try and shut the neighbors up....

Again, thanks for the great tips, reading this board has opened my eyes to things I would not have considered....... Hopefully we like this cruise and will try another one, we will definitley use the information when booking the next...

FYI, I'm not anti-kid, and when parents keep them under control they can be pleasant, well-mannered and fun...... what bothers me are ones who think it's OK to let them be disruptive and cause other people heartburn... On the other hand, I can see where some parents can't wait to take advantage of things like cruise ships so they can let their rodents run wild and not be bothered by them. Would drive me crazy to have to contend with a "loud crying 2 yr old" and a "hyper 7 yr old"!

Man am I ever glad I never had kids! Thanks for starting this thread. Now I'm prepared and the first howl, scream, tantrum or whatever will result in an immediate call to security or whomever is in charge of controlling the situation....

Have a Great Day!!

I have a guaranteed room so when would I request to not be placed around one of the "quad" rooms?
With a guarantee, you have zero input as to where your cabin may be. You gets what they gives you.

When did "kid-friendly" start equating to "it's okay to let your children scream and disrupt others"?

I'm sorry, but I agree with everyone else. You had no business taking your children on a cruise when you knew they couldn't behave. It's rude to subject your fellow passengers to your crying and hyperactive children because you want to do something (take a cruise). There are plenty of other options for you and your family that wouldn't involve disturbing others at all hours of the night. I'm also irritated at the purser's desk telling you everyone gets that letter, implying your kids aren't really a problem. For some people on vacation, it takes a lot to make them complain (I'm one of them), but if it's that bad, I expect that someone will take care of it, not just blow it off.

I have a 9 month old son who, while fairly well-behaved in unfamilar situations, will not be cruising with us until I know for certain. He'll be staying with my dad and step-mom in October while mommy and daddy take a much-needed vacation. Have you thought about leaving your kids with a family memeber while you take a break? The kids might enjoy it, and it sounds like you would, too.

Thanks tef43..... another lessoned learned for me...

...so in your opinion where do you suppose the majority of the Quad cabins are located? ...I imagine a family of four may be looking for the less expensive cabins, which would be lower on the ship correct??

Thanks again...

I think he was trying to be nice...all parents don't get them. In the four cruises we've taken we've never received one and our first cruise was when DD was 21 months old.

We never recieved a letter like this and my daughter cruised when she was 10 months and 16 months.

If you have a crying child try a house on the beach away from everyone else. When you have kids you make sacrafices. If they are not well behaved stay home!

I have been lucky that so far on our cruises we have not heard any other children in the cabin next to ours, in fact, we have not really experienced any children behaving badly on any cruise. We have also not seen any drunk adults behaving badly either!

Thanks tef43..... another lessoned learned for me...

...so in your opinion where do you suppose the majority of the Quad cabins are located? ...I imagine a family of four may be looking for the less expensive cabins, which would be lower on the ship correct??

Thanks again...

Quads are everywhere. This is always the risk you take with a guarantee, you have no control where you are placed. Also, Mr and Mrs Load Family may have booked guarantee as well. If you value your piece and quiet, get an assigned cabin, on one of the higher decks.

Thanks again...

They are on every deck- every ship-

SSOme cabins on some ships will hold 5 people.

(look on the deckplan legend to see which cabins hold how many people.

I agree that most people looking to save money go the gurantee route..so on older ships you may be looking at a cabin that only looks to hold two people but three people can be accomadated.

I think it is ill advised to recommend that folks take their children prone to cry and misbehave on a Disney cruise. Just because it caters to children doesn't mean it is the right venue for children who whine, cry and otherwise misbehave. Perhaps the tolerance level might be higher, but due to the costs, those folks have an expectation of having a funfilled cruise also.

.....I suppose it is frowned upon to hammer on the bulkhead to try and shut the neighbors up....

Again, thanks for the great tips, reading this board has opened my eyes to things I would not have considered....... Hopefully we like this cruise and will try another one, we will definitley use the information when booking the next...

FYI, I'm not anti-kid, and when parents keep them under control they can be pleasant, well-mannered and fun...... what bothers me are ones who think it's OK to let them be disruptive and cause other people heartburn... On the other hand, I can see where some parents can't wait to take advantage of things like cruise ships so they can let their rodents run wild and not be bothered by them. Would drive me crazy to have to contend with a "loud crying 2 yr old" and a "hyper 7 yr old"!

I wouldn't worry too much about it -- it's the kind of thing that can become a self-fulfilling prophesy; if you focus too much on being wary of "loud and out-of-control kids", you're likely to overreact whenever you notice a few kids just laughing and having fun. On the other hand, if you do find kids that are running around out of control, unless they hardcore juvenile delinquents, usually a firm but friendly word from any adult will settle them down.

Of course, easy for me to say, he who always cruises in September! :)

I have been lucky that so far on our cruises we have not heard any other children in the cabin next to ours, in fact, we have not really experienced any children behaving badly on any cruise. We have also not seen any drunk adults behaving badly either!

Was thinking the same thing...Only been on two cruises but haven't had the problems described on many of the threads about those subjects. Perhaps I've just been lucky but if you read these threads one would think that this is a constant problem when in fact it is not. I think screaming kids and sloppy drunks are the exception rather then the rule.

Unfortunately, steering away from a quad won't help. My husband and I booked a suite on the Victory in Apr for a birthday cruise. We were looking forward to enjoying our nice, peaceful balcony and sleeping in late. Imagine our surprise when the penthouse next to us had 3 kids under the age of 7; 2 girls and a boy who on a good day could only be described as Damien. The boy and his younger sister enjoyed hanging out on the balcony hitting each other and screaming at each other and their parents. (In all fairness, the parents screamed as much as the kids. Wonder where they learned it?) We soon grew accustomed to the kids screaming at the parents how much they hated them and threatening to, and I quote, "punch your eye out of your head." The little darlings particularly enjoyed doing this at 7:00 am. When we finally surrendered and got up, they would be shuttled off to Camp Carnival. Guess we didn't need that alarm clock after all...But in all honesty, we didn't complain since we figured that the only thing that would quiet them down would be a muzzle. Didn't think Carnival security was prepared to issue those to parents. Also, this was our third cruise, and the first two (oceanview and balcony) were perfectly serene. It really is just the luck of the draw; those darned ankle biters can be anywhere. But if you allow that to ruin your vacation, maybe you should just rent a cabin in the mountains somewhere instead. There are drawbacks to every cruiseline, every ship and every vacation. Make the most of your trip, and exert your frustrations in different ways. My husband and I dreamily described to each other scenarios in which we would reach around the divide and toss each of the children overboard, shortly followed by the parents...:p Made for an entertaining time on the balcony, hoping they could hear our subtle hints...

Hopefully we get the "quieter" cruise, but I doubt it... It's the Inspiration 4 day deal so I think we will get the drunks and the kids.... Oh well, a learning experience if nothing else....

So, no muzzles allowed huh??? What about shock collars??? ;)

I think it is ill advised to recommend that folks take their children prone to cry and misbehave on a Disney cruise. Just because it caters to children doesn't mean it is the right venue for children who whine, cry and otherwise misbehave. Perhaps the tolerance level might be higher, but due to the costs, those folks have an expectation of having a funfilled cruise also.

I agree... just because it is geared towards families does not mean families are okay with screaming babies and hyper kids. They deserve the same respect from other passengers as everyone else. NOBODY should have to endure that, on ANY cruiseline.

Hopefully we get the "quieter" cruise, but I doubt it... It's the Inspiration 4 day deal so I think we will get the drunks and the kids.... Oh well, a learning experience if nothing else....

So, no muzzles allowed huh??? What about shock collars??? ;)

Ahhhh, shock collars, one of our other ideas...:p

....yep, I can see it now:

"Maam, I can see that your little one there is quite unruly, obnoxious and loud..... can I put this shock collar on him and then zap the snot out of him when he squeaks"? :)

...I'm sure that would go over well!!! ;)

I agree... just because it is geared towards families does not mean families are okay with screaming babies and hyper kids. They deserve the same respect from other passengers as everyone else. NOBODY should have to endure that, on ANY cruiseline.

I am a TA, and I get lots of feedback from other TA's and my customers as well. Based on that feedback, some cruises that I've been on with other travel professionals, as well as my own private cruises, I have put together a general philosophy:

--In general, children under a certain age simply do not belong on a cruise--ANY cruise--on ANY line. I know, I know, there are plenty of you out there who have taken your infants in swaddling clothes to tiny tots to youngsters, and have had no problems whatsoever. However, it's undeniable that kids under that magic age, whatever that may be, are simply out of their element on a cruise vessel.

--Many travelers believe that children have all of the same "rights and privileges" that apply to adults. Simply is not true, regardless of the fact that their fare is paid. When the expenses connected with cruising are considered, using the environment applicable to a cruise itinerary as a 'learning venue' is definitely the wrong approach.

--Young kids basically cannot be responsible for their actions. Many parents simply are lousy parents. The rest of the passengers should not be susceptible to either of those very real circumstances.

--Older kids (tweens/teens), as well as adults can be a source of disruption. However dealing with them is a lot more realistic than trying to 'just deal' with problems/situations caused by the very young. Complete different set of circumstances. If you've got a loud, obnoxious, disruptive little one, what do you expect the cruise line to do, evict the entire family?

For simplicity sake, not to mention peace of mind, I try to steer my customers who have concerns in this area away from the lines that will go out of their way to cater to anyone and everyone. It's strictly their choice, but I want them to get a feel for what they're in for based on their selection.

...not a kid hater, but like so many other things there's a time and place for everything.

Smooth seas and warm breezes to all:) :)

Archived