how do departure times work?

sweetigurl

OK, I have several questions, (probally dumb ones but I am a first time cruiser). Our departure time is 10 PM and our plane arrives at 5:00. We will be on RCCL Adventure of the Seas.

A) Will they make you wait till 10 to board?

B) Will the life jacket drill be that night?

C) How will the first night teen meeting work?

D) How will the assigned dinning seating work since we leave so late?

E) If they do let you onboard early can we get back off and go do a little sight seeing in San Juan (our departure port)?

Sorry for all the questions but this is only my parents 2nd cruise, first on rccl, 1st late night departure, 1st assigned seating, and first leaving from San Juan. They feel like first timers too lol. Any answer you might give can help us out. Thanks

We had a 10 pm departure from San Juan on Carnival's Destiny. I fairly certain RCCL will be similar. Some people will be on board for lunch. You should go directly from the airport to the ship. Dinner will be at the usual times, even though you're still at the dock. You will find out your dining time, dining room (if there is more than one on the ship), and exact table assignment when you board.

Yes, you can get back off to sightsee. You should be back on board no later than 30 minutes prior to sailaway. Not sure when the muster drill will be. Ours was after sailaway.

HTH, and enjoy your cruise!

First of all, welcome to cruising, don't be afraid to ask questions. Its better to ask than to be disappointed when you get to the ship because your expectations were wrong.

I've answered your questions below (as best I can):

OK, I have several questions, (probally dumb ones but I am a first time cruiser). Our departure time is 10 PM and our plane arrives at 5:00. We will be on RCCL Adventure of the Seas.

A) Will they make you wait till 10 to board? Boarding generally starts around noon. For a 10pm departure time, you have to be onboard the ship NO later than 9pm. Unless there is a major problem with the ship, you will be able to go to the ship and board immediately after you land.

B) Will the life jacket drill be that night? Yes, it will be between the first and second seatings for dinner, probably around 8 or 8:30.

C) How will the first night teen meeting work? Not sure, but make sure your teen goes as this will probably be the only time for them to meet other teens onboard.

D) How will the assigned dinning seating work since we leave so late? They will still have the assigned dining, although the 2nd seating will be pushed back slightly to accommodate the muster drill. Since you have 1st seating and aren't landing until 5pm, it is highly likely that you may miss your assigned seating. If you do, don't worry about it, go to the Windjammer Buffet for dinner (or try Portofino's if it is open and has available seating) and then go to the dining room the next night.

E) If they do let you onboard early can we get back off and go do a little sight seeing in San Juan (our departure port)? Yes, you can get back off after you board and go explore, BUT you need to make sure you are back on board in time for the muster drill. With a 5pm arrival time, most likely won't have any time to really explore San Juan, especially since the pier that the AOS uses is not in Old San Juan so will require about a 20 minute taxi ride to get back and forth.

Sorry for all the questions but this is only my parents 2nd cruise, first on rccl, 1st late night departure, 1st assigned seating, and first leaving from San Juan. They feel like first timers too lol. Any answer you might give can help us out. Thanks

Perhaps RCCL is different, but on our Celebrity cruise that left San Juan at 11 pm dinner the first night was un-assigned; that is, we ate when we wanted and no one ate at their assigned table that night. (Open seating)

As far as touring San Juan I suppose it's possible, but very iffy. If your plane doesn't get in until 5 it will probably be at least 6, and probably later, before you board. I don't think it would be worth the hassle of trying to get settled, eat, ride a taxi to town and back, all for a couple of hours (at most) in San Juan. As a previous poster stated, you will probably have to be on board much earlier than 11; be sure to check that out.

Archived