9 yr old and Key West

jwachs

We will be visiting Key West in December. We will have our 9 yr old daughter with us. We arrive at 3 pm and leave at midnight. Thoughts on this itinerary-Ripley's Believe It or Not, Mallory Square, and Stargazing Schooner Sail.

We will be visiting Key West in December. We will have our 9 yr old daughter with us. We arrive at 3 pm and leave at midnight. Thoughts on this itinerary-Ripley's Believe It or Not, Mallory Square, and Stargazing Schooner Sail.

Just my opinion; but I would skip Ripley's. At $16+ admission for an adult and $13+ for the young lady, I simply don't think that it is worth it.

I would substitute The Hemingway House or The Butterfly Conservatory both of which are less expensive and would be more interesting. I am sure others will have their suggestions also.

Mike

I'd skip Ripley's also. I also think that the Hemingway House or the butterfly place would be fun. Your daughter, if she likes cats, will love the Hemingway House. There are cats all over the place...and they are really fun to watch. I can't remember what the correct term for the additional toe on the paw is (I had a cat like that and his name was Mitten), but they roam the gardens and inside the house. I'm just not sure how late these stay open.

A word of warning...When we were there, we did some shopping on Duval. We were in one store and I wandered to this area that had tons of gay pics and other things. This did not bother me in the least, but we had our daughter with us, and she also found this "stash" of stuff. I really thought they should have had it marked off better. Just keep an eye on your daughter when you are in the shops. Not all have this sort of thing.

I'd skip Ripley's also. I also think that the Hemingway House or the butterfly place would be fun. Your daughter, if she likes cats, will love the Hemingway House. There are cats all over the place...and they are really fun to watch. I can't remember what the correct term for the additional toe on the paw is (I had a cat like that and his name was Mitten), but they roam the gardens and inside the house. I'm just not sure how late these stay open.

A word of warning...When we were there, we did some shopping on Duval. We were in one store and I wandered to this area that had tons of gay pics and other things. This did not bother me in the least, but we had our daughter with us, and she also found this "stash" of stuff. I really thought they should have had it marked off better. Just keep an eye on your daughter when you are in the shops. Not all have this sort of thing.

I have two boys and they enjoyed Ripleys because they'd never seen anything like that before. Get discount coupons on line or from tour books available all around Key West.

We also went to public beach on Roosevelt street. It was fine for Colorado boys.:o

I asked them what the highlight of Key West was, and their reply was the snorkling trip on Floridays (floridays.org) 60 ft. sailboat out to the reef. It was a blast!

They also LOVED the street performers at the sunset celebration--That was free!

My boys are 11 and 13. Hope this helps, have a great time in the Conch Republic!

I suggest the Butterfly Conservatory, but it may closed before you get off your ship and to the location. Another interesting place is the Pirate Soul Museum. Yet another activity might be the Ghost Tour. You might like to climb the Light House steps and tour the light house keeper's cottage. Another "must do" is to have your picture taken at the Southernmost Point marker. If your daugher likes to shop, Florida's famous surfing and clothing store Ron Jon's has opened a very nice store on Front Street. Teenagers are especially fond of Ron Jon's clothes.

We love the sunset sails on the schooner Western Union. I'm not sure if the Stargazing Sail returns in time for you to return to your ship.

Your daugher might also enjoy the festivities at the Mallory Square sunset fest, which has acrobats and trained animals and other block party type attractions, plus the magnificent sunset.

One night in December, there is a beautiful boat parade in the harbour with all the different sizes and shapes of boats decorated in Christmas lights.

Lastly, be sure to try some key lime pie dipped in chocolate all on a stick.

I'm still debating the Ripley museum. Although, she loves cats and she loves butterflies. She has been to the zoo and museum for their butterfly exhibits. She thinks it is SO cool when they land on you. With that said, my daughter is at an age where she is very interested in the Guiness Book of World Records and Ripley's Books. She checks them out of the library occassionally. She loves to show me off the wall pictures in those books-like someone who has the longest fingernails! YUCK!

I was thinking about the Pirate Soul Museum. Thanks for the suggestion! I may have to do some more research on this. I'd have to look at the scare factor for that with her.

While I'd love to go on the ghost tour, she'd have nightmares I'm sure!

I'm pretty sure that if we went shopping and saw some adult oriented items, we'd be OK. I certainly would try to steer her away from areas that have these things but it may give us the opportunity to talk about what is appropriate and not appropriate as Christians.

Thank you so very much for the information!

I wouldn't have listed Ripley's as a favorite either, but if she's really into it right now by all means take her:) The butterfly conservatory is nice, our 8 year old enjoyed it last March. I also took her to Pirate Soul Museum and we both liked it, not scary.

Sunset Festival at Mallory Square is a must - adults and kids alike will enjoy the street performers.

BTW - we took her on the Ghost Tour in Charleston South Carolina last year and she LOVED it!

Hi JWACHS I see you are from WI as well. I can describe Duval and Key Wet as a southern...WI Dells. If your daughter likes to wander the main streets in the Dells, then this is the same type of thing...only more bars. Lot's of T-shirt and junk shops, henna tattoo artists on the street, street fair booths here and there, food, stuff like that. We had a 9 yr old with our group at the time and she just loved walking around and shopping and seeing all the street performers. Mallory Square at Sunset was of great interest for her as well, she loved all the jewelery stands and the performing animals, and the ice cream, and the food, etc. She and her parents didn't take any tours or go anywhere specific, just wandered around and were not at a shortage of things to see.

Mrsfuzzmo

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for using those terms in comparing it to WI Dells. I had to laugh because I thought of the Dells when I was reading about all the little stores and stuff...

Nothing wrong with WI Dells-it IS the waterpark capital of the world! And of course, you have to have a Swig at Nigs...but I am looking forward to Key West. It'll be a little warmer there than it will be here in WI in December.

Thanks for the feedback. We have until December 3rd to make a decision on what to do there. I am thinking we'll hit Ripleys (because she likes the book so much) and then we'll do Mallory Square.

I suggest the Ghost Tour (leaves for the La Concha) at night. When my dd was about that age we did a ghost tour in Gettysburg with the girl scouts and they LOVED it! The Key West tour is about haunted spots in KW and is a walking tour. It was very cool!!! The tour is very tame and the fun is all in the story telling by the guide.

Definitely the Butterfly Conservatory if it is open.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived