RCCL is playing us against eachother and they know it.

I agree with the OP, and we have learned that cruising in the off season (when kids tend to be in school) is what we prefer. We have not had as many "problems" this way.

We enjoy dressing for dinner, and we even enjoy the formal nights. I tend to sit in the areas that are more quiet than front row at the pool. And I don't go into public pools so that is not a problem. IF there are towels and things on a chair that I wish to use, I move them. Plain and simple. You were not here, and chair "saving" is not allowed. I don't know who moved your things.....(smiles)

I would enjoy the rules to be enforced, since I have always been a play by the rules kind of person.

What really amazes me still is how many people feel the need to push or challenge the rules..........if you are not dressed for the dining room, go eat at the Windjammer. If you kid wants to swim go to the kids pool. If you have to bring kids, take them to the kids areas. The rules are NOT THAT HARD

Dh & I dressed up for formal night, but we were having such a good time we did not pay any attention to what anyone else was wearing.:p IMHO a cruise it what you make of it. We follow the rules, but as long as it does not personally affect us, I could care less if pax are sneaking booze, looking like hicks in the dining room or whatever. Just my 2 cents.:D

We were on the Jewel during spring break of this year.....lots of families. I didn't see any inappropriate dress. Some were dressed more formally than others on formal night but everyone was dressed up. The casual nights were fine as well....again degrees of dress, but nobody stood out as being too casual. I didn't see any shorts, tee shirts etc.

Just lots of happy families having the vacation of a lifetime.

What confounds me is the people who post to these threads that no one should post these threads. People are here to discuss things like this. We go around the same threads over and over again and honestly there is a limit to new information. People want to have these disucssions and should be allowed to without being told they are less than intelligent for starting a topic or moving it forward. The posts telling people not to post are annoying too. Just ignore the threads that you don't want to be a part of.

Oh and I have to say that kids in Quest is... well just don't go if you can't get a sitter.

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in September, so I can't comment on what happens on the ship (yet). I have enjoyed reading this thread. I agree with the original poster about enforcing the rules set in place. I think that I am in the minority here when I say that I love to dress up for dinner and yes, my husband will be wearing a tux and I'll be in a formal gown for formal night. We are looking forward to it. I'm a nurse and wear scrubs everyday so maybe that's the reason I like to wear dresses and heels on occasion. When we vacation, we "dress up" every night we go to a sit down restaurant. It's part of our vacation experience. We usually go to nicer places than we do at home. My 11 yo daughter and 15 yo son also dress up, which to us means a sun dress or skirt for my daughter and long pants and a nice polo or button down shirt for my son. No, he doesn't always like it, but I'm the mom and that makes me the boss! ;) That doesn't mean I expect everyone else to dress the way we do. I don't pay much attention to what everyone else is wearing, but I do think that when there is a "dress code" that people should be respectful of others and adhere to it.

As far as kids being in adult areas, thats why we typically go to an AI Adult only resort when we aren't with the kids so this will be a new experience for us. What frustrates me the most is when we are following the rules with our kids and other parents let theirs break them. My kids are old enough now to understand that rules are rules but when they were little, it was hard to explain why they couldn't and others could!

I've been reading the boards since last summer when we booked this cruise. Unfortunately, I see more people whining about their experience than praising it. I am keeping a positive attitude and trying to ignore all of the negative stuff. Most of it is trivial (IMHO) anyway!! You can't please all of the people all of the time. We are really looking forward to September!

My only beef with your post is about the formal wear. It says SUGGESTED! Lets look that up in the dictionary shall we....

Main Entry: sug·gest audio.gif

Pronunciation: s&g-'jest, s&-'jest

Function: transitive verb

Etymology: Latin suggestus, past participle of suggerere to pile up, furnish, suggest, from sub- + gerere to carry

1 a obsolete : to seek to influence : SEDUCE b : to call forth : EVOKE c : to mention or imply as a possibility <suggested that he might bring his family> d : to propose as desirable or fitting <suggest a stroll> e : to offer for consideration or as a hypothesis <suggest a solution to a problem>

Hmmmm... to imply as a possibility....propose as desireable.....offer for consideration.....

No where here does this say that if something is suggested it is a must. It does not say Required, therefore there is no RULE that they are not enforcing. Now I like to dress up and fit in, BUT this past cruise I was 23 weeks pregnant and did NOT have the money to go blow on a formal wardrobe. Therefore i wore attire that was dressy, but not really formal. As far as i am concerned it was completely appropriate and I should not be forced to eat in the Windjammer because of what i was wearing. I can see "shirt and shoes required" or even "no shorts", but come on, are we going to say "Sorry you can't eat in here because you don't have the proper amount of sequin on your dress??

If you don't like what they are wearing don't look.

~Jen

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in September, so I can't comment on what happens on the ship (yet). I have enjoyed reading this thread. I agree with the original poster about enforcing the rules set in place. I think that I am in the minority here when I say that I love to dress up for dinner and yes, my husband will be wearing a tux and I'll be in a formal gown for formal night. We are looking forward to it. I'm a nurse and wear scrubs everyday so maybe that's the reason I like to wear dresses and heels on occasion. When we vacation, we "dress up" every night we go to a sit down restaurant. It's part of our vacation experience. We usually go to nicer places than we do at home. My 11 yo daughter and 15 yo son also dress up, which to us means a sun dress or skirt for my daughter and long pants and a nice polo or button down shirt for my son. No, he doesn't always like it, but I'm the mom and that makes me the boss! ;) That doesn't mean I expect everyone else to dress the way we do. I don't pay much attention to what everyone else is wearing, but I do think that when there is a "dress code" that people should be respectful of others and adhere to it.

As far as kids being in adult areas, thats why we typically go to an AI Adult only resort when we aren't with the kids so this will be a new experience for us. What frustrates me the most is when we are following the rules with our kids and other parents let theirs break them. My kids are old enough now to understand that rules are rules but when they were little, it was hard to explain why they couldn't and others could!

I've been reading the boards since last summer when we booked this cruise. Unfortunately, I see more people whining about their experience than praising it. I am keeping a positive attitude and trying to ignore all of the negative stuff. Most of it is trivial (IMHO) anyway!! You can't please all of the people all of the time. We are really looking forward to September!

You'll have a great time on your first cruise. I'm sure the minute you get home you'll be planning your second cruise. At the time of year your sailing, kids in the adult areas will not be an issue. :)

We have been cruising for 10 years and agree with what you said. I am afraid since they are advertising "family" on the new Freedom and Liberty things will get worse. Cruising use to be more couples, it was nicer then. We are sick of rude people, kids in adult areas. If you have to go during the school breaks I feel sorry for you, it must be a mess. Not that kids are bad, I have 4 (all grown) but the parents let them run wild, not obey rules, dress down at dinner in the dining room, etc. I say RCCL needs to get better at dress code issues, adult pool areas, saving pool chair issues, etc. :)

AMEN!!!!!!!!! :)

Recently on our Rhapsody cruise, We were Tendering at Cozumel, and had a non ships excursion (scuba diving) booked. We obviously needed to be on the earliest tender possible. We were told that tender tickets would be handed out first come first serve at the schooner bar at 0800. I showed up not so bright eyed at about 745 to ensure that we got early tickets. I recieved our tickets for the second tender and thought we were in good shape...total time lost...about 1hr. We went to breakfast and stood in line at the Windjammer only to be told that our side would not open for a while...We went downstairs to wait for our tender. we were among the first in line. As the line began to form, several people showed up asking if they needed tickets. After being told they did need tickets by other passengers, they elected to just stay there and try to weasel their way on to the tender. No big suprise, as soon as they started loading the tender, no tickets were checked, and they all walked on...often in front of people that had waited for tickets like instructed. I understand that these things happen, but it irritates me that one, people feel that they can just do whatever they want, and two...that RCCL condones this behavior....sorry for the rant...

Ryan

I don't blame you for being irritated with this. You followed the guidelines and others didn't. RCI should have made those that did not have tender tickets go and get them. If not then why even have the system set up this way in the first place?

We have been cruising for 10 years and agree with what you said. I am afraid since they are advertising "family" on the new Freedom and Liberty things will get worse. Cruising use to be more couples, it was nicer then. We are sick of rude people, kids in adult areas, jeans in the dining room, etc. As far as the kids in adult areas, just find a RCCL crew member and have them take care of it. Also be sure to add comments to your comment cards at the end of the cruise. Along with that if you really have a bad experience send a letter to the main office in Miami, you might end up with a nice letter back and some money toward another cruise. We always cruise in May or October when most kids are in school, as we would rather have less kids around. If you have to go during the school breaks I feel sorry for you, it must be a mess. Not that kids are bad, I have 4 (all grown) but the parents let them run wild, not obey rules, dress down at dinner in the dining room, etc. I say RCCL needs to get better at dress code issues, adult pool areas, saving pool chair issues, etc. :)

I prefer to cruise when kids are in school. The ships have a totally different atmosphere then. Much quieter. Service seems to be better as the staff is not as tired from trying to take care of some many families on board.

You will have a great time, most people will be dressed up on Formal night and you will love it. Once you cruise you will be hooked!! Be sure to go to Portofino's, it is very good. Mariner is a great ship, be sure to go to the ice show it's very good!! We all complain but still love to cruise!!~:)

I prefer to cruise when kids are in school. The ships have a totally different atmosphere then. Much quieter. Service seems to be better as the staff is not as tired from trying to take care of some many families on board.

Totally agree with this comment. I'd rather deal with hurricanes than out of control juveniles with their ignorant parents.

Suggested Formal attire does not mean "just any old sports coat and tie".

No children in the adult pools. Period.

No children playing Quest. This is adult time.

No food off the ship.

No alcohol in the cabin.

No saving deck chairs.

Etc....

If RCI enforced their own rules, they would still be my cruise line of choice.

They do not. They are not.

Since I can only vote with my vacation dollars, I will continue to choose other lines who do a better job of providing the cruise experience they promise.

After many, many cruises with RCI, it is a tough decision to make.:(

Throught History, dressing well has always been associated with the upper classes and successful people who take pride in their appearance - the wealthy, nobles, politicians, educators, professionals, business people etc. I submit that it still is.

I get a laugh out of those who claim they would rather wear resort casual attire than formal attire. I have been on 16 cruises and I don't think I have seen more than a handful of people in resort casual attire. Dockers are not resort casual - they are khakis - read the labels. They don't sell resort casual wear at Walmat, K-Mart or Target. When I look around the dining room on casual nights, I keep thinking that most of these people - mostly the men- have come to dinner straight from working on the lawn or right from the bowling alley. And men who announce they don't own a suit - what are we going to bury you in? And those who claim they can't afford a suit - you could probably buy two suits for the price of one real resort casual outfit.

Finally, I agree with those who say that RCL (or any other cruise line) will not enforce rules as long as they keep filling their ships. Just another consequence of the "dumbing of America".

as formal night was that, FORMAL. Everyone looked spectacular! Even the theatre looked wonderful with the suits & tuxes & gowns on ladies. The other nights, some wore sportscoats like my DH & me in glitter on satin slacks with my flashing lights heels. Then again after an excursion ending at 6PM we went straight to the dining room in sweatshirts with camera bag since we'd be quite late if we changed. Others did the same thing.............. No shorts were worn by anyone but it was 60 for a high some days so shorts were not worn by anyone anyow.

The parties folks dressed nicely for also & we had 7 that I remember even had the Captain at 3.

Throught History, dressing well has always been associated with the upper classes and successful people who take pride in their appearance - the wealthy, nobles, politicians, educators, professionals, business people etc. I submit that it still is.

I get a laugh out of those who claim they would rather wear resort casual attire than formal attire. I have been on 16 cruises and I don't think I have seen more than a handful of people in resort casual attire. Dockers are not resort casual - they are khakis - read the labels. They don't sell resort casual wear at Walmat, K-Mart or Target. When I look around the dining room on casual nights, I keep thinking that most of these people - mostly the men- have come to dinner straight from working on the lawn or right from the bowling alley. And men who announce they don't own a suit - what are we going to bury you in? And those who claim they can't afford a suit - you could probably buy two suits for the price of one real resort casual outfit.

Finally, I agree with those who say that RCL (or any other cruise line) will not enforce rules as long as they keep filling their ships. Just another consequence of the "dumbing of America".

Well to be really true to formal attire, a suit is not formal either. That would be a tux. If you show up to a true formal affair in less than a tux you are underdressed. All this befuddlement about resort casual, smart casual, formal or otherwise is a crock. If it's formal, wear a tux. If they suggest a suit is apppropriate then it is not truly formal. Instead of telling what you should wear, they should post what is absolutely inappropriate and will not be admitted. And stop calling it formal. IT'S NOT. It is just a dress up affair. :)

Well to be really true to formal attire, a suit is not formal either. That would be a tux. If you show up to a true formal affair in less than a tux you are underdressed. All this befuddlement about resort casual, smart casual, formal or otherwise is a crock. If it's formal, wear a tux. If they suggest a suit is apppropriate then it is not truly formal. Instead of telling what you should wear, they should post what is absolutely inappropriate and will not be admitted. And stop calling it formal. IT'S NOT. It is just a dress up affair. :)

Not sure if or why you were t-ing off on me. I never really addressed requirements for formal wear. I have no problem with a nice dark suit. I have a tux but prefer to wear a black suit with tuxedo appointments.

My point about casual wear was that a large number of passengers do not even meet minimum requirements for casual wear on a cruise. The look like they really should save the cruise money and spend it on clothing.

I have to agree. I have reached a stage in my life where how a person acts is far more important to me. No, I don't want to see sloppy jacket and jeans with sandals at the table while my husband mumbles under his breath that he was forced to wear a good suit jacket and pants by me, but if the behavior is adult I'm willing to look past the fabric. The pool is another story. I raised my children too, and while I love the kids, this is my time. Since they have more than one pool, I don't understand why the designated adult pool is lax in allowing children in it either. I addressed this at the time aboard the Enchantment 2 years ago, and the situation was handled very well.

Not sure if or why you were t-ing off on me. I never really addressed requirements for formal wear. I have no problem with a nice dark suit. I have a tux but prefer to wear a black suit with tuxedo appointments.

My point about casual wear was that a large number of passengers do not even meet minimum requirements for casual wear on a cruise. The look like they really should save the cruise money and spend it on clothing.

I wasn't really commenting on your post so much as just stating that many folks are confused about what is truly formal and what is semi. And they are really befuddled over the whole casual wear thing. My point really was that formal nights are not truly formal (the cruise lines suggest that a suit is appropriate) and they should stop confusing folks by calling it what it is not. I myself, wear jeans 75% of the time so they are not casual wear for me. They are a uniform.

Archived