second formal night dress

I am going on my first cruise in Jan. '07, I am going with my Mother, who has sailed before. We are cruising on Carnival Victory (so you will be able to answer my question better.) My Mom told me that the second formal night is not as formal as the Captains dinner, she said a nice dress will be fine. I have seen, on these boards, that people take 2 gowns, so now I am a little confused. Should I be shopping for 2 gowns or 1 gown and 1 really nice dress?

The second formal night might not be quite as formal as the first, but many people still dress to the nines. Sometimes I take two evening gowns, probably more often one evening gown and one very dressy cocktail dress. Black skirts or slacks with sparkly/ elegant tops work well too.

Every cruise I have ever taken that had two formal nights, the second one was somewhat less formal in two aspects: One--fewer people bothered to dress fromally at all and ate elsewhere on the ship. Two-- Those who did dress up, fewer wore truely traditional formal attire (tuxes and gowns), but wore cocktale dresses and dressy slacks with beaded tops or similar. The second formal night is dressy though, like a very fancy cocktale party.

That said, you will definitely see people in formal attire the second formal night. In fact, you will see at least a few in formal attire every night.

Thanks for the replies. I was, originally, planning on going with a cocktail dress rather than a formal full leangth gown. So, I guess, it's safe to assume that this will be OK. What do you think of this dress for the 2nd formal night? It is a cocktail dress, there is beading around the details, at the bottom (I know it's kind of hard to see, in the picture), Also, I would get it in black - I'm not much for pink.

dress.jpg

When I sailed on the Miracle, I wore a little black dress the second night. The bodice was lace and the back dipped low and the fabric kind of draped down my back. It was knee length. I dressed it up with some glittery earings and I felt like I was dressed fine. I think your dress would be fine and I agree about the black rather than the pink. I know a lot of people don't like black, but to me it just seems dressier and more elegant.

I, too, have noticed that the second night was less formal. I chalked it up to the fact that the 2nd night is often a port day, while in my experience, the first formal night has always been after a sea day. We've always had the early seating, so maybe that's a factor also...

Being my first cruise, I am learning all sorts of things. The second formal night actually falls on mine and my hubby's 10th anniversary, so I was actually planning on saving my more formal gown for that night and wearing my cocktail dress the first night. Am I going to look really out of place? Thanks.

Dusty

No, you won't look out of place. There's not that much difference in the two nights and there will be a broad spectrum of formal wear from 'church' clothes to cocktail clothing to long, formal gowns. Celebrate your anniversary in style!

Thanks for the replies. I was, originally, planning on going with a cocktail dress rather than a formal full leangth gown. So, I guess, it's safe to assume that this will be OK. What do you think of this dress for the 2nd formal night? It is a cocktail dress, there is beading around the details, at the bottom (I know it's kind of hard to see, in the picture), Also, I would get it in black - I'm not much for pink.

dress.jpg

:o I think this dress is stunning and would work for you on either nightd.

If you already have a long gown..wear it on the 1st night and this one the 2nd night. Either way...you will look stunning I am sure. By the way...where did you find this dress?

:o Happy Cruising!:o

Being my first cruise, I am learning all sorts of things. The second formal night actually falls on mine and my hubby's 10th anniversary, so I was actually planning on saving my more formal gown for that night and wearing my cocktail dress the first night. Am I going to look really out of place? Thanks.

Dusty

No, you won't look out of place at all. Many people do wear formal attire (tuxes and gowns) on the second formal night, maybe even a third or more of passengers. Furthermore, I have seen passengers in formal attire almost every night on a cruise...not in great numbers, of course.

Happy tenth wedding anniversary!!!

Every cruise I have ever taken that had two formal nights, the second one was somewhat less formal in two aspects: One--fewer people bothered to dress fromally at all and ate elsewhere on the ship. Two-- Those who did dress up, fewer wore truely traditional formal attire (tuxes and gowns), but wore cocktale dresses and dressy slacks with beaded tops or similar. .

that is my thought too Heavy surf- is that PEOPLE choose to look on it as less formal but when you read the dresscode in the cruiseline literture it does not say one night is more formal then the other.

So to the OP-if you want to bring two gowns do! I am sure you will look beautiful and put others to shame! but you will not feel out of place if you choose not to.

I know one cruise I forgot to pack my strapless bra-so I would not wear one of my gowns braless as I did not want to expose the fact that my "girls" are a little "south".

I had packed a dress in the no wrinkle poly-silk material that I had thrown in as an extra- so I bought one of those shawls at the cruiseship shop to dress it up and added a couple of pieces of glitzy jewlery. I was presentable but boy I wished I had brought that bra! The strapless gown was gorgeous and I did not get to wear it!

I could've worn the strapless gown with a shawl over it but the problem was the neck and bodice had beautiful embrodiery on it-which is what made the gown so beautiful! so I opted to wear the dress instead.

Archived