Things to do in Orlando

FireguyCanada

We will have 4-5 hours to fill between the time we leave the ship and the time we need to be at the airport. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do to fill the time? Travelling with two teenagers.:eek:

There is a neat mall complex and gosh I can't remember what its called but its a disney thing.... maybe called Mallwalk at Disney or something like that, lots of neat stores, disney store of course. We spent quite a while there a few years ago. Its not at Disney but outside of disney. We never went to disney when we were there but the mall was cool, shops and restaurants. Ah-ha, I just checked online, its called "Downtown Disney". :rolleyes: Just a thought, we have a whole day to kill on the way back too.

Bev

Fireguy, will you have a rental car?

The problem with malls is that the stores don't open until 10am or later. The FLORIDA MALL is nearest to the airport and would not be that expensive with a taxi. This is Orlando's largest mall and includes Macy's, Nordstrom, Sears, JC Penney, Saks 5th Avenue, and Lord & Taylor Outlet. The teens would appreciate the icons of U.S. teen fashion: Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle, Hollister, Forever 21, etc.

With a rental car it's possible to visit Downtown Disney in Lake Buena Vista. I believe that is what weluvlife was refering to. It consists of three sections with the middle section Pleasure Island open at night with nightclubs. The Disney Marketplace on the east side includes a dozen Disney stores with Disney and non-Disney merchandise, Disney Pin Traders, LEGO store, Rain Forest Cafe. Downtown Disney Westside includes a huge Virgin Megastore, DisneyQuest arcade and other stores and restaurants including Planet Hollywood.

Any other interests?

BobK/Orlando

Thanks Bob for the info. Yes, we will have a rental car. Our teens are - DD (19) and DS (14) so the interests are very wide-ranging. Downtown Disney sounds like the best idea for us at this point. Lots of variety.

Thanks for the reminder Gwen:) , but we already took that into consideration. The ship gets in at 8am, and we plan to carry off our own luggage, then our flight doesn't leave until around 4 pm. So we'll still have lots of time to fill up with something.

With a rental car you definitely have a lot of options. The ship likely docks earlier than 8am but disembarkation probably doesn't begin earlier than 8am. Friday mornings could have some traffic delays on TOLL 528, the Beachline Expressway back to O-Town. Most likley this would be near the port in the area between the entrance to KSC (Kennedy) and US1, then again at the toll plaza as you approach Orlando. The rest should be ok although of course you never know. Still, the drive shouldn't take that long.

Any other questions or need some tips, just ask.

BobK/Orlando

Fireguy,

There are a couple of things you might want to consider doing before you get to Orlando. Not too far of a drive from the ship is Ron Jon's surf shop - it is one of the surf shops known world wide - kids might enjoy having something from there - also in Cocoa Beach is an area called Thousand Islands from which you can get guided Kayak tours (nothing extremely adventurous, but a good way to see the "real florida"). The other thing might be an airboat ride. I know of some local people that did it recently and thought it was an absolute blast - couldn't believe they had lived here this long and hadn't done it before. If any of these sound interesting, let me know and I'll provide more details.

Karen

Thanks Karen. The airboat rides sound interesting. Are they very expensive? What times do they run?

Gwen, we had thought about Kennedy Space Center, but that looks like an all day tour, so we'll save that for another trip I think. Thanks anyway.

Bob, I'm sure we'll probably have more questions for you. You have been a great source of help to us.

Fireguy, there are a number of airboat options in the Orlando/Kissimmee area. Check out www.airboatrentals.com for a place in Kisssimmee that lets you rent and operate your own airboat for $30/hour. See www.gladesadventures.com for another place that gives guided tours with airboats, located in St. Cloud SE of Orlando.

Keep in mind that it will be HOT and humid, meaning you might want to plan for a change of clothing afterwards....for the protection of your fellow passengers on the flight home!

BobK/Orlando

fireguy.. you might try also posting on the cruiseline board for the cruise you are taking... you might get some more ideas as others will be at the same port. we don't have a separate message board for 'Orlando' but maybe we should :)

Will do Host Star. Thanks for the suggestion.:)

Bob, we sent an e-mail to the website you suggested, but haven't received a reply yet. Have you heard anything about "Old Fashioned Airboat rides" http://www.airboatrides.com/ ? We also contacted them by e-mail and they responded right away. Prices seem reasonable, just wanted some reassurance about what kind of operation it is.:confused:

Karen do you have any additional recommendations???

Fireguy, no I don't have any other information other than the websites. I've not used either company. I saw their adds in See Orlando Magazine, a tourist magazine distributed at local hotels and restaurants in the tourist zone. The magazine's website may have more details plus other ideas as well, since you don't have a paper copy. Check out: www.SEE-OrlandoFlorida.com and flip through the many pages of attractions. A good, full day might be to do something early with an airboat tour, then your idea to visit Downtown Disney and then hit the Florida Mall mid-afternoon as it's only about 10-minutes to the airport from there.

BobK/Orlando

PS to Host Star: Good idea to have an Orlando message board....or maybe one for Orlando-Tampa! A lot of people combine an Orlando visit with their cruise.

Yes, that was terribly sad and accidents happen in everyday life. There is an inherent risk to alot of things we do.

Fireguy, if you are still interested, here is the website. www.airboatecotours.com . It is run by Capt. Rick and he is located in the Cocoa/Titusville area. The video looks like a lot of fun. My friend had a great time with her family.

Just dawned on me that "Cocoa/Tituville" - probably doesn't mean a thing to you. Both are located east of Orlando. Titusville is north of Cocoa Beach and Cocoa is located west of Cocoa Beach. Both are east of Orlando by about 30 - 45 minutes. Have fun in whatever you decide to do

Oh my, that is tragic news!!! That poor family.:(

You're right though, Karen, we all take some risks everyday. I'm a firm believer in living your life to the fullest and that, when your time is up, it won't matter whether you're skydiving or at home asleep in your bed.

Thanks for the website and the location info. We'll check it out.:)

The airboat rises are great. My mother and I did one last May when our ship stop at P.C. for the day. We had a blast. I'm looking for something to do as our cruise on the Spirit stops there again this year. Not sure if we will do anything or just stay on the ship.

Yes, that was terribly sad and accidents happen in everyday life. There is an inherent risk to alot of things we do.

Fireguy, if you are still interested, here is the website. www.airboatecotours.com . It is run by Capt. Rick and he is located in the Cocoa/Titusville area. The video looks like a lot of fun. My friend had a great time with her family.

That looks like a GREAT airboat tour.

We go down and visit my folks a few exits north of Port Canaveral every year and we never knew about this tour.

Thanks for posting the link.

My Wife and I might have to check it out after our cruise arrives back at Port Canaveral in September.

Bill

Archived