Hotel recommendations for Mobile, Al pre-cruise

Anyone have any recommendation for a nice place to stay before we leave on the Holiday. I have booked 2 rooms at the Riverview Plaza does any one have any comments about this Hotel. I still have 3 months till we leave. I was also loooking at the Fairfield Inn. Please let me know good or bad.

thanks

mommas2tired :)

Daphne is right across the bay from the ship. It is a lot newer and a safer area. There is a Hilton Garden and a Hampton and a real nice and newer Comfort Inn and suites. A big mall one block from these hotel and lots of good places to eat. Like I said before only the mobile bay is between you and the ship. I live in Pensacola, but work out of the Mobile area. So I do see these places everyday.

We have stayed at the Raddison downtown several times before we go out on the Holiday. It has a package that includes parking, shuttle to and from port, breakfast and the hotel room. The package is called the park and cruise package and the hotel is within a couple of blocks, so the van drive is very short. When we stayed before it was $99 per night but it may have went up since then. We will be on the Holiday again in August, but haven't decided if we will be coming in early or not.

Terri

thanks for the info, I was worried about staying at the Riverview because of the extensive rennovations going on. But I was able to book 2 rooms for 68.00 total each because I carry a dependant military ID card. There will be 4 of us that works out to 34.00 per person the parking is also cheaper by 20.00 if we leave it parked there. I will check out the Raddisson and the cruise package also, thanks for all the great info

momma

thanks for the info, I did some more checking and changed my reservations from the Riverview plaza to the Radisson Admiral Semmes because of the cruise package they offer $129.00 for double room, full breakfast, parking while on cruise included and shuttle to and from port. I think thats a good deal because I will not have to worry about anything just get to Mobile which is straight shot south from where I live. And the rooms are awesome looking. Anyone ever stay here? How about a review of the hotel.:)

We have stayed at the Raddison 2 or 3 times and used the cruise package that they offer. To me the rooms were average and the lobby was nice. Breakfast is buffet, with eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit the regular stuff. We have had the same shuttle driver each time and he was very nice. You decide when you want to go it wasn't a hassle at all when we were down there.

I don't know what day you will be leaving out of, but during the Fall there is a little market on Saturday mornings just across from the Raddison, with fresh veg, and crafts. It was fun just walking around killing time before getting on the ship. The Raddison is downtown so there is many colonial looking houses with a Spanish touch around in the area. Two parks that are close. My suggestion is to get out and enjoy the area.

Terri

Thank you for the review of the hotel. I think it will be fine for just one night it's really hard to decide when your not from that area. I have been elected to make all the arrangments for our little group of women they are trusting me to make all the decisions. I would feel really bad if we end up in a dump and have to pay alot of $$$ for it. We will not be getting there until Sunday the 27th of Aug and leave on the cruise Monday the 28th. We are from a small town and will probably hang around the area close the to Hotel. I hope it is in a nice neighborhood.

Thanks again:)

We stayed at the Radisson at the end of May. I was also responsible for a large group and made all the reservations. Keep in mind that this is a old hotel, but is comfortable. The food is okay. Downtown area is nice, but I wouldn't walk about after dark. The stay and park is a good deal. The parking deck is covered and has security. Taking the shuttle van was very easy and about a mile at the most to the terminal. Both of our drivers were very friendly, loading and unloading all of the luggage. This is a good way to go, especially if you decide to do the self-disembarkation because you will have to carry all your own luggage off the ship. Then you will need to call the hotel after customs clearance and just wait at the curbside. We had others in our group that parked at the terminal instead of taking the van. They thought this would be quicker and easier, but it took them about 45 minutes longer to get out of there. I did see the Riverfront Hotel about 1 block down. It looks nice as well, but they are renovating.

Like the last post said dont go out after dark. I live in Pensacola and haul gas to the gas station in Pensacola and Mobile area. In the downtown area of Mobile I will not deliver gas after dark. I dont care if they run out or my boss says i will get FIRED. I have turned down any load after dark in the area. I wont go there and there is nothing someone could tell me that I would take my wife and family to that area. The county Jail is only 2 blocks from the port.

After reading your posts I'm thinking maybe I should look somewhere to stay before we arrive in Mobile. Will it be safe in the Hotel itself? It looked like a nice place. Everthing worked out to only 59.50 per person for the cruise and park package but the money isn't worth it if we are not safe.:eek: I don't think everyone will mind staying in the Hotel until we leave, we will be tired anyway. Any other suggestions?:confused:

thanks

Well, I'm sure betcat knows the situation better than I. I felt perfectly safe inside the hotel. As I said, looks can be deceiving. When we arrived, it was daylight and everything looked very nice to me. We had a group of 15 seniors including 6 boys. They all decided to go for a walk after dinner. The adults did as well in two seperate groups. When we walked a couple of blocks over, we could see some sort of club action goin' on. I was approached by a fellow that had just finished eating and had thrown his trash away. He asked me if I could 'spare some change'? I looked at him and said, well no. Mind you, I had 2 pretty large men by my side. At this point, we decided to head back and find the group of seniors, deciding it was not so safe. They had headed back as well, witnessing what they thought was a drug deal. We all decided to head inside and instructed everyone that they absolutely could not go back out. This was all on a Sunday night. But honestly, the atmosphere seems totally safe in the daytime. It is a lot like our downtown area in our state. Just be mindful of your surroundings, as you always should be, and it should be fine.

I think I'm going to keep what I have for now I just went thru an experience with an online TA whose rate show the same package deal for only 75.00 I jumped on that one but before I cancelled my old reaservations I checked to make sure it was done right well quess what, it wasn't and the online agency says there info is incorrect (I Cancelled with them) and I'm glad I kept the old reservation. If you want the name of the agency that has the wrong info advertised e-mail me at momma_2_tired@yahoo.com it should momma_2_tired you can't see the underscores :)

I just would not wander around after dark. I will deliver my gas in the daylight, just not after dark. After dark I always get hit up for money or want to buy drugs. The gas stations/stores wont even let people in after dark. They have a walk up window if you want to buy anything. And a slide out tray. They dont open the window. And if they have been heldup they have to have 2 people working for the next year. Just keep a eye open and leave purse and extra money at the hotel. The bad ones downtown can spot the cruise type and know they take extra money with them. Its just like any big city.

Archived