Viking Century Sky

Murphey

Greetings. I have been an active follower of the Viking China thread which has given me a wealth of information. However, I have not had contact with anyone who has been on the Century Sky, which is a relatively new ship. Most passengers have been on the Sun. So, I am looking for any Sky passengers that could enlighten us on their experience. Many Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that the newest boat is the Century Sun built in 2006 and the Century Sky was built in 2005. It appears that they are nearly identical. Viking is using the Sun on the 9 days cruise and the Sky on the shorter cruises.

Looking seriously at booking with Viking River Cruises, on the Viking Century Sun (China)

Would appreciate if anyone knows Vikings' smoking and internet policies on the Century Sun.

1. Are guests permitted to smoke on their private balcony?

2. Where are the "designated" smoking areas?

3. If I bring my own laptop, can I use it on board to access the internet? If so, what internet pricing packages are sold?

Thanks

Coasters: Check out the "ViKing China" thread. There is a wealth if info there and if you can't find your answer, ask on that thread.......lots of people sharing info regarding the China trips......

• 2 weeks later...
Looking seriously at booking with Viking River Cruises, on the Viking Century Sun (China)

Would appreciate if anyone knows Vikings' smoking and internet policies on the Century Sun.

1. Are guests permitted to smoke on their private balcony?

2. Where are the "designated" smoking areas?

3. If I bring my own laptop, can I use it on board to access the internet? If so, what internet pricing packages are sold?

Thanks

Coasters-->Yes you can smoke. Apparantly everyone in China smokes. As far as you laptop is concerned only bring it if you really need too. No you cannot access the internet on the ship with your own computer unless you have a 'wireless internet connection' like we have here, example Sprint, Verizon, etc. I did use the internet with my own laptop at all of the hotels though, internet on board will teach you patience or leave you bald.

--Tina

Tina,

Thanks..

I'm assuming that's a 6 out of 10? Any chance you can add some detail to the Viking experience for me? We're booked for April 11 2007, out of Newark NJ, sailing 9 days on Viking Century Sun with the added 4 day Hong Kong tours...for a total of 20 days. Any hints or advice??

Jerry

Tina,

Thanks..

I'm assuming that's a 6 out of 10? Any chance you can add some detail to the Viking experience for me? We're booked for April 11 2007, out of Newark NJ, sailing 9 days on Viking Century Sun with the added 4 day Hong Kong tours...for a total of 20 days. Any hints or advice??

Jerry

Jerry--

Check out the other thread. Viking China something it has 19 pages.

--Tina

My DW and myself just returned from 9 day Viking Century Sun. GREAT overall trip. The entire crew was the finest we have ever encountered.

For every trip there are those that want more shopping and those that want less shopping. Bottom line excellent ship with neat very functional cabins.

We were divided into groups for the land portion. Our cruise had 130 passengers, so 5 groups of about 26 or so. Hotels selected by Viking the best that I have every stayed in. Highlights will be Viking school, all 3 evening shows on land and the great wall. Vendors all excepted $ dollars.

Pay approximately 1/4 the starting asking price. Buying boxes of Terra Cota warriors in Xian do not pay more than $3.00. Many on my trip started out paying 100 RMB ($12.00), the price kept dropping all day. Only a few medical problems on our trip. Ship has doctor, visits with meds cost $15 to $25 range. Does not pay to suffer in your cabin! Internet on ship is slow. Most of us are used to high speed! Plan on 20-30 minutes to check e-mail on AOL, cost approximately $3.00. On the Sun, crew member Eric could solve almost all problems. Internet in Westin was free with check-in coupon,

not bad in Xian and very expensive in Hilton.

Thank you so much for the info. I have heard a few negatives, expecially about staying away from salads on the ship. Is this true? I have expectations that the ship food will be the safest of all our meals. One other issue that I have ansed on another board: Can you think of any excursions that could be skipped? We would like a bit of "down time", however, we don't want to miss anything important. Did anyone use any of the pools at the hotels? Thank you.

Never heard anyone comment on staying away from salads. There was a

good selection every day for lunch. Soups were outstanding. As far as skipping excursions goods, it all depends on your health. Our group (26 persons) made 99% of excursions. Being on the ship for days provides you with a comfortable environment. Not many people stayed up pass

11 PM. Breakfast from 7:00 to 9:00, I think. There was an option not to take the Snow Jade Cave, due to many many steps.

Hey, CincyAl,

We enjoyed having you and Donna on our trip. Just getting back to normal sleeping time. Lot's of good memories. We lucked out and missed the typhoon last Friday. Tons of death and destruction.

We are waiting for our Chinese screen to be delivered. They said it takes about 60 days.

Stay in touch. Jerry

Archived