Duct Tape, Collapsible Water Bottles, Hi-lite Pens, Anything Else?

mahreeya

I have a small coiled extension cord with a double plug end that I take. The wall plug in never seems to be in the right place for what I need for my hair dryer, curling iron, camera battery charger, etc.

I agree with the folks who said Post-it notes, they are very handy.

Also, I took a plastic badge holder with a neck lanyard to keep our sail and sign cards in. It is very handy to have them around your neck, especially if your outfit doesn't happen to have a pocket! Many, many people asked me "where can I get one of those?" on my last cruise.

Depending on the type of person you are and what ship you are on, you may want to bring an alarm clock. Although the ship has wake up calls, the last couple of cruises I've been on didn't have lit alarm clocks. I wake up several times a night wondering what time it is. I always had to find my watch on the bedstand.

I also bring preprinted address labels for friends & family to whom I plan to send postcards. And, speaking of pre-printed, I bring personal address cards with address, phone number & email address for new friends I meet on board with whom I'd like to stay in touch.

Anniecat,

I don't know if this will work cuz I haven't tried it yet. BUt for my next cruise I am thinking of sewing a cloth "sleeve" for my "key card" that I can tack or safety pin down at the hem of my shirts or pants. Sometimes on board I don't carry my purse and I usually just need a place to store it until I get back to my room. If anyone else has any ideas Please share!

~van

Anniecat,

I don't know if this will work cuz I haven't tried it yet. BUt for my next cruise I am thinking of sewing a cloth "sleeve" for my "key card" that I can tack or safety pin down at the hem of my shirts or pants. Sometimes on board I don't carry my purse and I usually just need a place to store it until I get back to my room. If anyone else has any ideas Please share!

~van

I took a plastic badge holder with a neck lanyard to keep our sail and sign cards in. It is very handy to have them around your neck, especially if your outfit doesn't happen to have a pocket! Many, many people asked me "where can I get one of those?" on my last cruise. I got the badge holder from Office Depot. I'm sure there are smaller packages somewhere, but this is what I mean Then you just use a neck lanyard to wear it around your neck, or clip it to your clothes.

What a completely perfect idea! I had to replace my card a few times in the past because I hate to carry a purse everywhere, and I would lose the card. When I didn't have a pocket I'd always have my husband carry mine. Of course that didn't work if we were in different places.

Thanks for the link, that's going on my list!

Happy Sailing!!

Romy

I was in a Deals Dollar store this weekend looking for some of the items listed on the sites as "must take alongs" They do have small rolls of duct tape for a dollar and they had them in several different colors. Didn't find the shoe bags which is what i was looking for. So will be trying a few other stores in the next few weeks.

Thanks to all of you for all the great suggestions. I will be going on my second criuse in Dec, and will be talking a lot of the stuff posted.

I don't know about the Wal-Marts where you all live, but the ones here have the little Purell sanitizer bottles in the isle with the travel size stuff. These bottles have a little spandex cover on them with a little clip on it. You can clip it to a belt loop, your beach bag, camera bag, fanny pack, very handy. I have been using them this summer and will be bringing a long sevral for the cruise, what a handy idea.

Cruising the Carnival Conquest Dec 05, 2004

I always take a little bottle Woolite to wash out my swimsuits each day - it's also a nice thing to have just in case you spill something on your shirt or pants at dinner and don't want to pay to have it cleaned by the cruiseline. :)

- Benadryl for allergic reactions

- Lomotil for Aztec two-step

- Duct tape

- ZipLok bags (I keep my digital camera in one to prevent condensation on and in it when going outside)

- Little hand-held battery fan (they REALLY come in handy during muster drill)

- Post-it notes

- Suction hooks

- Clothesline and wooden clothespins (if we have a balcony)

- Wine

- Business cards we've printed with our names and email address (to give to new friends)

- Witz box to keep money, boarding pass, credit card, etc. in while ashore

- Smallest Swiss Army Knife

- Pre-addressed postcard labels and return address labels

- Small plastic basket (really helps organize if there's no vanity drawer)

- Paperback books

- Small mini maglite

- Small travel alarm clock

For carrying your cruise card, we bring a lanyard from home and have the Pursers desk punch a whole in the card and put it on the lanyards silver ring which attaches to the clippable hook. This way you always have it around your neck. It is easily taken off the hook and you are not fumbling wondering where it is. Going on and off the ship is a breeze because you always have it right with you. You can easily pick these up at the dollar store and also I noticed on the Island Princess in March they had some in their gift shops. People were asking me all the time how I came up with the idea. I told them I had been doing this for the last five cruises and would never leave home with out the lanyards for both my husband and I. I originally saw the idea on this board. Its a great idea ...give it a try.

On my last cruise I did wear the landyard that I happened to have in my purse. You know you have one with your emergency whistle attached. Well anyone one of the couples in our group had a landyard that had the clip that easily attached and detached. Mine I just had it through the whole. Yes I did go to the pursers desk and asked them to punch a whole in it.

I am making these little bags with zippers that can hold the room card or lipstick or money that you can wear around your neck. I will also bring a landyard. Depending on what I want for the day.

Another great thing is a waterproof wallet. One that you wear around your neck and can hold your card and your money while you are in the ocean swimming.

I also like to have the hangers that have the clothes pins attached. It is great to hang your swimsuits on. You can hang it in the shower and be able to move it easily. Works great to have several when you have a few people in your room.

This time I plan to bring a pants hanger. You know one where you can hang a half of dozen on one hanger. That will help in the closet space.

I loved having signs on the doors. It makes it great to find your room. You can find your room without much effort.

Hope everyone has a great upcoming cruise.

I keep the over the door hanger with pockets in my spare / cruise closet all year long and as I use things or remember new items it's hanging there waiting to be resupplied. It's not the shoe type but one that has 3x5 pockets on both sides. It holds costume jewlery, sewing kits, etc, and the bottom 2 rows are larger, about the size of the shoe pockets only sideways, 5x7 maybe, for the small roll of duck tape, small travel size items. Then when ready to pack just take it down, roll it up and into the suitcase.

Also we use the matching hi-liters with matching post a notes, that way everyone has a color and you may be able to remember whose who.

Great thread...

Happy Cruising

Carlene

Hows about having the purser punch a hole in the room key and either wear it around your neck or use one of the slot card holders and attach it to the purse hanging inside. I do this with my keys. I clip the holder to my purse strap. I have hooks hooked onto the ring so all i have to do is unhook the part i need. I have several sets of keys i must carry with me so this makes it easier. On our last cruise i brought my single hole puncher with me in case i needed it but the pursers office punched the hole and i carried my room key, drink card, etc. Thanks for all the ideas. HAVE FUN

Thanks for some of the great ideas, especially the Woolite one. On my first cruise I just used my bath gel, Woolite will be much better.

I have the Purell sanitizer trial size in the little holder on my keys so I have it with me wherever I go. On the trip I will bring a bigger bottle as well because I'm sure I will use a lot of it.

One other idea is to take differant colored clothes hangers, if possible, for each seperate person who will be in a cabin, that way you will know at a glance which clothes are yours. I will be sharing a cabin with my mother and a friend of hers and it will help a lot.

Also, they now have out small bottles of sunscreen that have a clip attached to them. You can have it hooked to the bag you carry with you so it is always where you can find it.

hkolln: you can get it at best buys or Walmart, or Office Depot or Office max they all sell it.. Your get five sheets 8x11 1/2. It is really kewl.. I had so many people talking about my room door.. And like I said before you can make your own Post notes for others to read.. like.. up at pool area.. or at windjammer, and leave notes for room cabin attendent.. Do not Clean room ... We are fine.. or Still sleeping ... Do not open this Door.. LOL

What is a WITZ Box?

- Benadryl for allergic reactions

- Lomotil for Aztec two-step

- Duct tape

- ZipLok bags (I keep my digital camera in one to prevent condensation on and in it when going outside)

- Little hand-held battery fan (they REALLY come in handy during muster drill)

- Post-it notes

- Suction hooks

- Clothesline and wooden clothespins (if we have a balcony)

- Wine

- Business cards we've printed with our names and email address (to give to new friends)

- Witz box to keep money, boarding pass, credit card, etc. in while ashore

- Smallest Swiss Army Knife

- Pre-addressed postcard labels and return address labels

- Small plastic basket (really helps organize if there's no vanity drawer)

- Paperback books

- Small mini maglite

- Small travel alarm clock

Archived