Anyone Gone White Water Rafting in Jamica?

puddinpie31

OH Dear, Oh Nelly My 2 children ( aged 17 and 19) & I are going on the Conquest July 9. We've been on her before when she was in New Orleans. We used to cruise on Disney and when I broke the news to the kids that we were going to try Carnival, they were upset. WELLLL......That was 5 years ago and we've never looked back. Anyway, I'm getting off track. My daughter is bringing a friend that's never been on a cruise, I'm bringing a friend that's never been on a cruise. I've booked all these excursions for us ahead of time through Carnival that I've read some negative reviews. The stingray, turtle thing in Cayman. The White water rafting in Jamica I've yet to hear anyone report on. My children & I have raved on & on about how much fun we're going to have and how great the ship is, etc. I'm just concerned about the excursions. I've spent a lot of money for the excursions and don't want any of us to be disappointed. We've done the stingray tour before and loved it and know it's just a tourist trap, but the water is beautiful.... Does Anyone know anything about the white water rafting yet? Thanks for any replys. 39 more days........OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH Dear, Oh Nelly My 2 children ( aged 17 and 19) & I are going on the Conquest July 9. We've been on her before when she was in New Orleans. We used to cruise on Disney and when I broke the news to the kids that we were going to try Carnival, they were upset. WELLLL......That was 5 years ago and we've never looked back. Anyway, I'm getting off track. My daughter is bringing a friend that's never been on a cruise, I'm bringing a friend that's never been on a cruise. I've booked all these excursions for us ahead of time through Carnival that I've read some negative reviews. The stingray, turtle thing in Cayman. The White water rafting in Jamica I've yet to hear anyone report on. My children & I have raved on & on about how much fun we're going to have and how great the ship is, etc. I'm just concerned about the excursions. I've spent a lot of money for the excursions and don't want any of us to be disappointed. We've done the stingray tour before and loved it and know it's just a tourist trap, but the water is beautiful.... Does Anyone know anything about the white water rafting yet? Thanks for any replys. 39 more days........OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK I'm starting to get a little paranoid now. Are we the ONLY fools that are taking this risk? I'm taking a child that's not mine and want her to come home in one piece, not to mention my own. NOT a soul has taken this excursion, or is planning it?

I too am booked on the white water rafting in Jamaica, Hope someone says something.

If not check the ports of call boards.

In Cayman, they will have a blast, been there several times it is great.

Kathy

Does anyone know anything about the white water rafting yet?

The only rafting excursion when my ship stopped in Ocho Rios was on 30-foot bamboo rafts built for two, with a boatman who poled you along. It was fun, but more of a relaxing couples thing than the whitewater rafting in rubber boats that I've done in West Virginia. Perhaps there is that sort of thing in Jamaica, but I'm not aware of it.

IF you are going to ocho rios and have never been there you HAVE to do DUNNS RIVER FALLS! It is a most excellent time, however. If you have your heart set on river tubing go for it. My father went tubing on the white river and said it was a great fun relaxing time. They had indivitual donut tubes and a guide lead you down river and thru some small rapids, just for a little excitement.

Just watch out if you don't know, jamaicans will hord over you and fight for their tips! make sure you give someone a tip only if you feel they deserve it and has given you some kind of 'personal' service. Tips are a way of life in jamaica so they are forcefull about it and will hold out their hand asking for more tips. they know they wont see you again so they dont care...

IF you are going to ocho rios and have never been there you HAVE to do DUNNS RIVER FALLS! It is a most excellent time, however. If you have your heart set on river tubing go for it. My father went tubing on the white river and said it was a great fun relaxing time. They had indivitual donut tubes and a guide lead you down river and thru some small rapids, just for a little excitement.

Just watch out if you don't know, jamaicans will hord over you and fight for their tips! make sure you give someone a tip only if you feel they deserve it and has given you some kind of 'personal' service. Tips are a way of life in jamaica so they are forcefull about it and will hold out their hand asking for more tips. they know they wont see you again so they dont care...

This is posted on the excursion through Carnival as "Canyon White Water Rafting along the Great River" beginning in Eden. When we first booked it it said minimum age required "18". I see now that they've lowered it to "14". Probably due to lack of bookings. The rapids are listed as level 3 on a scale of 1-5. Sure would like to know if anyone's done this..............I'll keep watching for a post. Thanks so much!:confused: Lyn

Cruises that go to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay often offer "rafting on the Martha Brae". The Martha Brae River is located about halfway between the two ports. As noted above, two people (or three small ones) sit on a bench on a 30-foot long bamboo raft which is poled and guided downriver by a local.

This type of rafting trip is sedate and scenic, and the passengers stay dry.

Even though the Jamaican hillsides are lovely with many freshwater streams, I'm not sure that the water purity is always what one would desire for a tubing or rubberized raft experience.

Dunn's River Falls appears to have pure water, but many houses are perched near Jamaican rivers, and not all appear to have modern sewer hookups.

N.B.: The post immediately above was submitted while I was typing this one. It does look like the "white water rafting" excursion is entirely different than the one I describe.

If it is a cruise line excursion, I would assume that the water quality on the river is good.

I went on the white water rafting trip in Montego Bay...I was on the Conquest last Nov...The white water rafting was to me very scary...Let me tell you a little about me...I'm 30...well built and swam competively for 13 years...I went on this trip with a friend who was 33 and also well built....

I have been white water rafting in two other places...In Atlanta on a class 3 and 4 and also in Denver on a class 4...

The white water rafting in Jamica is a mix of class 3, 4 and some 5 rapids..Mostly class 4...

In our boat it was me my cabin mate and 4 other pax from the same cruise ship...The four other pax were in their 60's to 70's ( I'm not saying that is old at all ) The rapids were so strong that the older pax were not able to keep up and our boat had tipped over 4 times...

The first time we tipped over the boat pinned me down between the bottom of the river for about 30 to 40 seconds...I was really scared that I was going to drown. My helmet also came off due to the rafting company ran out of rafting helmets and only had an equestrian (sp) helmets left. The guide had to give me his helmet for the rest of the trip.

The second time we tipped we lost one of the older ladies and she went through the rappid without a raft and got very bruised and cuts on her legs, arms and face...

The third on the raft flipped completely over and we all fell out causing us to all gown down a class 4 without a raft...(it may look like fun but let me tell you...Its not) being a competeive swimmer for so long it was had for me to swim to the side...you had to let the current carry you until it gets weaker and then you can swim to the side.

I ended up with several cuts and bruishes...My cabin mate got a black eye and several cuts also...

I'm not saying it would be a bad trip for your family....I would just make sure everyone in your boat is able and willing to get through the rapids...On my boat the older pax were told to stay in the middle of the boat...due to not being able to paddle hard and losing their paddles....

I hope this give you some insight...

I went on the white water rafting trip in Montego Bay...I was on the Conquest last Nov...The white water rafting was to me very scary...Let me tell you a little about me...I'm 30...well built and swam competively for 13 years...I went on this trip with a friend who was 33 and also well built....

I have been white water rafting in two other places...In Atlanta on a class 3 and 4 and also in Denver on a class 4...

The white water rafting in Jamica is a mix of class 3, 4 and some 5 rapids..Mostly class 4...

In our boat it was me my cabin mate and 4 other pax from the same cruise ship...The four other pax were in their 60's to 70's ( I'm not saying that is old at all ) The rapids were so strong that the older pax were not able to keep up and our boat had tipped over 4 times...

The first time we tipped over the boat pinned me down between the bottom of the river for about 30 to 40 seconds...I was really scared that I was going to drown. My helmet also came off due to the rafting company ran out of rafting helmets and only had an equestrian (sp) helmets left. The guide had to give me his helmet for the rest of the trip.

The second time we tipped we lost one of the older ladies and she went through the rappid without a raft and got very bruised and cuts on her legs, arms and face...

The third on the raft flipped completely over and we all fell out causing us to all gown down a class 4 without a raft...(it may look like fun but let me tell you...Its not) being a competeive swimmer for so long it was had for me to swim to the side...you had to let the current carry you until it gets weaker and then you can swim to the side.

I ended up with several cuts and bruishes...My cabin mate got a black eye and several cuts also...

I'm not saying it would be a bad trip for your family....I would just make sure everyone in your boat is able and willing to get through the rapids...On my boat the older pax were told to stay in the middle of the boat...due to not being able to paddle hard and losing their paddles....

I hope this give you some insight...

OH MY I may think this through a little more since I will be responsible for someone else's child, who by the way just lost her husband last year at a very young age. Don't want anything to happen to her daughter or my children either. Plus, who wants to spent the rest of the cruise all banged up? Thank you SOOOOO much for the information. I've been dying to hear from someone that's done this excursion. Now I don't want to die doing it!

I would def stay away from this excursion if you are going to be responsible for someone elses child....They also make you sign a wavier in case something happens to you so you cant hold them responsible...

I would take them to Dunn's rivers falls....I have done that before and it was great...Safer in my opinion...Hope this helps....:)

Archived