young children on excursions

mj-brat

On August 6th we will be on our first cruise. We will be on the Rhapsody. I was wonder if anyone knows of any good excursions for young children that can be booked through Royal Caribbean? My daughters are ages 3 and 6. Does anyone know how safe it is in Jamaica, Ocho Rios for young children? I heard it is pretty scarey there. Has anyone ever taken their children there and where have you been? We wanted to do the dolphin encounter in Cozumel, has anyone ever done this there? How was it and is it worth the money? We want to also go snorkeling in Cozumel, any suggestions? I want to thank you all in advance for responding to my many questions!!:)

If your kids are very comfortable in 3-4 ft of water (with vests on) and would not be too intimidated big but friendly stingrays, try the Stingray City excursion in Grand Cayman--that was fun!

We took four young grandkids, ages 3-5 to Jamaica last year. We went with Phil Lafayette river tubing and to Dunn's Falls. The kids had a blast river tubing, no one got scared and it seemed safe. We did bring their own life jackets along, but they have them available.

At the falls my husband and I took the grandkids to the small beach there while their parents climbed the falls. (We had already done that on another cruise.) I wouldn't attempt taking young children up the falls, but they had fun at the beach.

On Cozumel we went to Paradise beach. Perfect place for kids.

On Grand Cayman we did the snorkel and stingray tour with Capt. Marvin. It was a little cool and wavy that day, so the kids didn't stick with snorkeling, and only one would get in the water with the stingrays, but they all had a great time on the boat.

I wouldn't schedule any tour that involves much driving or sightseeing or touring from a bus or van. Kids that age just don't appreciate any of that. Ours got a little restless on the half-hour or so that Phil spent showing us some sites.

We didn't do the dolphin swim, but I wonder if kids that young can participate.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 6th we will be on our first cruise. We will be on the Rhapsody. I was wonder if anyone knows of any good excursions for young children that can be booked through Royal Caribbean? My daughters are ages 3 and 6. Does anyone know how safe it is in Jamaica, Ocho Rios for young children? I heard it is pretty scarey there. Has anyone ever taken their children there and where have you been? We wanted to do the dolphin encounter in Cozumel, has anyone ever done this there? How was it and is it worth the money? We want to also go snorkeling in Cozumel, any suggestions? I want to thank you all in advance for responding to my many questions!!:)
Never traveled with young children so I can't help there. But have been to Jamaica on an NCL cruise & did the falls. The kids could hang out on the small beach there. BUT I can tell you if I ever go on another cruise that stops in Jamaica I'm staying on the ship. The driver we had for the falls excursion was a madman & drove like a maniac. When we stopped at a gift shop area on the main street some man actually asked us if we wanted to buy any drugs! I wouldn't go to Jamaica if it was a free vacation. I like to do the tours to get the flavor of the port. Cozumel is beautiful. I think I read somewhere on these boards that the kids had to be over ten to do the dolphin encounter. You could call your cruiseline rep to get these details. Hope you have a nice vacation.

Archived