Gratuities...what is the best way?

Samdel

Haven't sailed in 2 years, and not Carnival in 6 years. Used to RCI tipping in envelopes on last night the cruise. Which is better choice, prepaid or putting on Sail and Sign card? Experiences anyone, good or bad.

I also prefer to let them put the tips on my S&S card at the beginning of the cruise. I've toyed with the idea of prepaying them since I've never had service so bad that I reduced or removed the tips. However, as GC said, you can't adjust them when they are prepaid and it would be my luck to get bad service this once.

Haven't sailed in 2 years, and not Carnival in 6 years. Used to RCI tipping in envelopes on last night the cruise. Which is better choice, prepaid or putting on Sail and Sign card? Experiences anyone, good or bad.

We leave the tips on Sail and Sign card, then on the last night we personally thank those who have given good service (Room Steward, Asst. Room Steward, Head Waiter, Asst. Waiter) and give them each a small box of See's Candy and a thank you card with $25 - $35. This seems to work out well for us and I really like to show people how much we appreciate what they do for us!

Of course, if I ever got so-so service, I would probably just leave the tips on the Sail and Sign and skip the extras. So far, we have had excellent service, and I wish I could afford to leave more! I also usually slip a $5 into the Maitre d's envelope. If we ever had personalized service from him/her like a table or time change, I would probably give more depending on what they did.

One thing that I was really proud of was that on the last night, Ryan (age 14) had decided he wanted to hang out and eat pizza with his friends instead of coming to dinner with us. That was fine, but imagine my surprise to see him (with 3 friends in tow!) come to our table about half way through dinner just to personally shake hands and thank both our waiters! They really seemed touched that he would take time out to show his appreciation! ;)

One thing that I was really proud of was that on the last night, Ryan (age 14) had decided he wanted to hang out and eat pizza with his friends instead of coming to dinner with us. That was fine, but imagine my surprise to see him (with 3 friends in tow!) come to our table about half way through dinner just to personally shake hands and thank both our waiters! They really seemed touched that he would take time out to show his appreciation! ;)

Congratulations on raising such a fine young man.

Carnival puts the gratuities automatically on your Sail and Sign Card.

However if you want the charges removed, you can go to the Pursers Desk onboard and advise them you want to pay in cash. They will give you envelopes to put the tips into.

. Used to RCI tipping in envelopes on last night the cruise.

I was on an RCI cruise three weeks ago. No envelopes in sight. Auto tips were placed on my SeaPass account.

Which is better choice, prepaid or putting on Sail and Sign card? Experiences anyone, good or bad.

Up to you. If prepaid, it's a done deal. Nothing can be changed. If automatic on S&S account, can be increased, reduced, or removed.

Just seems to simple to me to leave the auto tips in place and tip a little extra to a few folks.

:D Just seems to simple to me to leave the auto tips in place and tip a little extra to a few folks.

I agree with Coton, and USUALLY, that's what we do. This next cruise on the Valor, we decided to prepay to tips due to the amount. 7 days x 5 people = lots of shock at the end of the cruise. I want to lessen the S&S bang as much as possible for all of us. I am very certain that the consistency and level of service will be terrific, so I am not worried that I would want to give LESS than the recommended amount. I am more concerned that my lovely and well-behaved 3 sons will not cause more than usual work for the steward and staff. As many do, we tend to tip more than the minimum anyways. And, this will be one less thing that I have to worry about in making this one fantastic vacation for my family.

Hubby and I prepay our tips when we make our final payment...it lessens the blow of the S&S bill at the end, and it's done and over with. I prepay everything I can, right down to the excursions...buying drink tickets beforehand, purchasing FunShip Dollars and having them applied when I get there. Can you tell I OVERplan everything? :)

Archived