Explorer Quickie Review 5/19

Wow! Best cruise ever; second time on RC. Cabin steward, wait staff, cruise director, and every crewmember we encountered provided the best service we've had on any cruise, ever.

The inport times are a bit odd; we don't know why but didn't ask.

We left our superlative comments on the survey form. We did leave some constructive criticism about the food. Not "excellent" overall because food was somewhat inconsistent. I rarely complain, but did point out to mgt staff in the Windjammer that some nearly raw bacon was in the bacon tray. We also though food presentation in the Windjammer was not as good as on other ships. Food presentation in the dining room was a bit sloppy and the portions seemed small. Food taste all around was good to better than good.

Regardless, we'll definitely book w/RC again and would go on Explorer. After all, the worst day at sea is better than the best day at work.

When did you go and how were the traveling conditions? We leave tomorrow and with the rain I am concerned about the water beign choppy----I do not get seasick but have been on a couple of very rough( nearly sick) cruises out of ny)

Chop won't affect these large ships, but swells will. The direction, duration, and heigth of swells can cause anything from barely noticeable to severe motion. I'm retired Navy, so I get a kick out of hearing folks talking about how "rough" the seas were, etc. It ain't rough until you're walking on the wall where it meets the floor and you have to put wet paper towels under your chow tray so it won't slide of the end of the table LOL.

Bottom line: if you're at all sensitive to motion, obtain and take medication as necessary because I've observed some folks getting woozy as soon the the gangplank is raised.

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear everything went well as I'm on the same cruise in 2 weeks. Anyway, I've posted these questions on 2 other May 19th threads, but haven't received any responses. Can you attack any of these?

--

I'm on the June 16th, same itinerary, and had posted some questions on this link but nobody was responding there, so posting here.

>other link, fyi: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...=354210&page=2

1. St. Thomas:

a. You docked at Havensight Mall area, correct?

b. Taxiis readily available right off of ship?

c. Anyone go to Coki via Taxi? How much did you end up paying?

d. Anyone take a safari bus to Coki?

e. Actually, any travel details to/from Coki would be welcome! )

2. San Juan:

a. Anyone go to El Escambron beach? Quality? Taxi cost?

b. Anyone go to Isle Verde beach? Near resort? Taxi cost?

c. Taxiis right off the ship?

d. Did anyone try walking from ship to Old San Juan area?

3. St. Maarten:

a: Anyone go to Little Divi Beach? Quality? Taxi cost?

b. Taxiis right off the ship?

c. I assume Maho beach, for airplanes, is best from 1-3pm, yes?

4. Are the sea urchins really that bad at Labadee?

5. Can I assume Alan Brooks will be CD for the next few weeks?

Thx for any information you can provide. I have estimates already, but wanted to get more detail, especially if you have to walk somewhere else to get the taxiis, etc. Oh, plus return trips from beaches.....any problems?

Chet

Chet,

We were on the May 19th sailing and can answer some of your questions. Ship docked at Havensight in St. T, plenty of Taxi's, rate to Coki was $8 per person each way. Coki was beautiful. Chairs and umbrella's $5 each Took about 35 minutes to get to Coki, because it was mid afternoon when we went and there was lots of traffic.

San Juan - planned to go to Escambron but daughter was ill so just walked around old San Juan. Very easy walk, was there 2 years ago and the area is much improved.

St. Maarten - Took the water taxi $3 to Philipsburg to shop, tons of taxi drivers there, took taxi to Divi $4 per person. Really enjoyed Divi, great beach nice amenities, taxi came back for us and took us back to boat return trip was only $3.

We had never been to Labadee before, we went to the beach on the right side of the island, because it was not as crowded and closer to food pavilion. Not crazy about the water here, tons of vegetation floating around. Two boys near us stepped on sea urchins and were hurt, they tend to stay in the grassy area in water. Wear Water shoes - they are a must. Heard though that the beaches on the right side were much nicer.

Not sure how much longer Alan will be on the EOS but we really enjoyed him.

Have a great cruise.

Selene

Chet,

We were on the May 19th sailing and can answer some of your questions. Ship docked at Havensight in St. T, plenty of Taxi's, rate to Coki was $8 per person each way. Coki was beautiful. Chairs and umbrella's $5 each Took about 35 minutes to get to Coki, because it was mid afternoon when we went and there was lots of traffic.

San Juan - planned to go to Escambron but daughter was ill so just walked around old San Juan. Very easy walk, was there 2 years ago and the area is much improved.

Selene

Thanks for the great info Selene! Quick follow-up>

1. Did you see the "safari" buses going to/from Coki?

2. Were Havensight stores open past 6pm?

3. Did you walk to Old San Juan and back from ship? Up hill going, yes?

4. Do you know if you can walk to Escambron from Old San Juan? Time?

Thanks again for responding!

Chet

Chet,

Not sure what you mean by safari buses, but if you mean the open air taxi's that you travel all around St. T in, yes they are there ready to take you back from Coki.

We got back from Coki close to 6pm and walked around Havensight, some stores still open but others were already closed or closing. We walked from ship to old san juan, I felt it was not a bad walk at all, some up hill not much unless you decide to walk to El Morro and then there is more of an uphill walk.

I don't believe you can walk to Escambron thought you had to take a taxi, but I'm not sure.

Selene

Thanks for the info.

We're sailing on July 14th... have a few questions.

What times were early and late seating?

What times were the shows?

We're sailing with kids almost 10 and 14 and in the past they really wanted to go to the kids program. For the last couple of cruises they haven't been "that anxious" to go in the evenings (which was OK with us) so we would have really enjoyed late seating... if it wasn't "too" late.

Thanks,

Carolyn

Thanks for the review, been thinking about booking Explorer next summer or even the holiday cruise they have available. I'm disappointed to hear about the food situation. It's been 2 years since I've sailed with Royal Caribbean, I'm hoping that it's still up to it's usual standards otherwise.

Eddie

Thanks Selene for the great info! That's a big help!

Main seating is at 6pm per the docs.

Most of the reviews of Explorer, recently, have indicated the food was very good. Everyone has a different opinion of course, but when the majority of experienced cruisers are saying 'very good', I take that as a pretty good sign. I'm not expecting Morton's here, afterall. ;o)

Hey Eddie I just got back from EOS yesterday and the food was 90% fine. All was edible, most of it very good. My main complaint is that some of the buffet food was only lukewarm and the veggies were too hard.

If EOS docks at the Pan American pier you can NOT walk into town (Old SJ). But I think they loyalty ambassador said they dock in town. If so, town is right there in front of you.

Show times, except for the first night (and I was on the 5 day, so this may vary but it's a start) were 7:15 for late seating guests and 9 PM for early seating.

Archived