Is it true you have to pay to swim in a pool on the Star?

mar326

I think I read somewhere on these boards that you have to pay to go in the pool in the Spa. Does anyone know if this is true? When we were on the Dawn we didn't pay.On the Dawn that pool was empty anytime we went there.

I think I read somewhere on these boards that you have to pay to go in the pool in the Spa. Does anyone know if this is true? When we were on the Dawn we didn't pay.On the Dawn that pool was empty anytime we went there.

I just read the same thing posted by legalcruiser, post #20 I think, on this thread....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=354518

I know they had tried this before on the Dawn for awhile, as a test I think, and switched back to being free use.

The Jewel also had the fee in place in the beginning, but I'm not sure if they do now or not.

This is probably a thelassotherapy pool. It is heated and has strong jets, like a giant hot tub. You have to pay on Celebrity and HAL to use these pools (unless you are a suite passenger), NCL isn't the only line that charges to use these.

Yes it is a Hydrotherapy pool. It was the same type of pool on the Dawn. My concern is that after a person books a ship,the cruiseline changes what its going to charge for and whats included in the cruise price.There is nothing in any brochures from NCL that there would be an additional charge for this pool.I have sailed NCL many times but its getting to the point now that it may be more economical to cruise the other lines. I do not like being nickeld and dimed once I get on board the ship. Anyone else have thought about this?

Yes it is a Hydrotherapy pool. It was the same type of pool on the Dawn. My concern is that after a person books a ship,the cruiseline changes what its going to charge for and whats included in the cruise price.There is nothing in any brochures from NCL that there would be an additional charge for this pool.I have sailed NCL many times but its getting to the point now that it may be more economical to cruise the other lines. I do not like being nickeld and dimed once I get on board the ship. Anyone else have thought about this?

NCL does not charge to swim in the pool........unless this is something that has happened very recently......but I have not heard about it.

We were on the Summit & did not have to pay for using the T Pool. I think on M class ships you don't have to pay, only other Celebrity ships that have a t pool.
We didn't either, but that was a few years ago: my understanding is now Celebrity does charge. I could be wrong; it wounldn't be the rist time. mar326, all the lines are adding extra charges for what we used to take for granted. The price of cruising hasn't increased (after inflation) in years, somewhere they have to make up the difference. The wonderful thing about cruising now: it is affordable for families, even thouse who do not make a million dollars a year; we still get clean cabins, service to the nines, choices in dining, entertainment, a chance to visit several ports not to mention use of pools, hot tubs and so much more, all in one price. If we want to experience the other features we pay for them.

NMNita

When can you sign up for paying to use the pool in the spa on the Star?

We just got off the Dawn (where it was free) and we really enjoyed the pools without having to deal with the sun or crowds. I mentioned in my review that the spa pools must be packed during the cold weather months.

When can you sign up for paying to use the pool in the spa on the Star?

quote]

If your going to sign up I would do it quickly since the reports say that they are limiting it to the first 40 people (didn't specify adults only) who sign up. I would head to the spa right after making your specialty restaurant reservations.

:confused: I wonder if it has something to do with sailing in Alaska and the cooler weather. More people wanting to 'swim' or the 'tubbies' and not wanting the outside pools. :confused:

As indicated by immargaret, I just got off the 5/21 sailing of the Star. There was a $60 pass to use the spa facilities, which includes a regular pool, a T pool, a regular jacuzzi, and I believe saunas. There were also lounge chairs set up in front of the large aft windows. The spa manager indicated that they were limiting the passes to 40 per sailing. I expressed my concern that it wouldn't be enforced (not to tattle on folks, but to ensure that I didn't pay for something unnecessarily) and was assured that it would be. In fact, the next day there were signs on the locker room doors indicating that one had to check-in at the front desk because there was a charge to use the facilities. They also placed stickers on our keycards and in order to obtain a locker key, they checked your card. I do believe that if you book a treatment, you can use the facilities for the day.

I understand people's frustrations; however, I really did appreciate being able to use these enclosed facilities with a limited number of passengers. I, too, imagine they are doing this because of the Alaskan itinerary. Otherwise they would be facing a nightmarish situation if all the passengers tried to use the only enclosed pools and hot tubs.

And to answer the other question, we purchased the passes on the first day.

We just got back from the Star and they were charging for the pool in the spa. My son chose to swim in the outdoor kids pool , as well as the other kids. I think this pool was little bit warmer than the other outdoor pools , yet still too cold for me to try it.

Celebrity charges for the thalassotherapy pool on Century-class ships (unless you're booked in a suite), but not on Millenium-class ships. The T-pool on Galaxy was very nice, but folks on the Celebrity board say the M-class T-pools are not even close. Hence, no additional charge.

Charges for using facilities in the spa are common on mass-market cruise lines. Anyone who whines about such cruise lines not being "all-inclusive" anymore must have been doing a Rip Van Winkle for the past fifteen or twenty years.

The Star has pools available at no charge, so the title of this thread appears to be somewhat [deliberately?] misleading. Sort of like asking "Is it true you have to pay extra to eat in a dining room on [you-name-the ship]?" The answer for almost any mass-market cruise line ship is "Yes," for certain specialty restaurants. But are there other dining rooms that have no additional charge? Of course. Unnecessarily misleading thread title, IMHO.

I feel that if a ship is going to change what you can do for free it should be announced. No where on NCL web page does it mention having to pay to use any pool or hot tub. What's next, charge for the movie?Cover charge in the bars?What is misleading about the title of my post?? I didn't say pay for all pools.

I feel that if a ship is going to change what you can do for free it should be announced. No where on NCL web page does it mention having to pay to use any pool or hot tub. What's next, charge for the movie?Cover charge in the bars?What is misleading about the title of my post?? I didn't say pay for all pools.

But you did say

icon13.gifIs it true you have to pay to swim in a pool on the Star?

Misleading perhaps. To me it sounds like you have to pay to swim in a pool.

icon13.gifIs it true you have to pay to use the spa pool on the Star?

Not misleading

What is misleading about the title of my post?? I didn't say pay for all pools.

I'll try one more time and hope you'll understand it this time. The correct answer to the question you asked is "No." You don't, in fact, have to pay to swim in a pool on Star. You can swim in a pool using the outdoor pools at no charge. You do have to pay to swim in the special indoor pool in the spa. Your question as worded implies that if you want to swim in a pool--any pool--then you have to pay. That's simply not true, and therefore misleading.

It would be like saying asking "Do you have to pay to get a glass of water on Star? The answer is "No." You can get a glass of ship's water anytime at no charge. But if you want Evian or Perrier or San Pellegrino, then you're going to pay. Should anyone be surprised at this?

I really didn't think much of this on our recent cruise. Since the pool was in the spa and they charge to use the spa I just assumed they always charged for this pool. I also agree that if they didn't charge for this pool in Alaska that it would be too busy to use. They did manage to heat the kid's pool enough for kids to use it.

Sometimes they do not mention things you will get for free, like hot chocolate in Alaska. Small thing but my son really enjoyed it.

Sorry HOTSPUR I posted a question, I did not ask for a lesson in sentence structure.I always have used the pool in the spa (been on 4 NCL cruises) and my piont is I have never had to pay. IF I want to swim outside, I can do that at home,I prefer indoor swimming.

Is the $60 charge to use the spa pool for anyone in your room, or is it $60 per person?

Also, are the workout facilities (treadmills etc.) still free or is there a charge for those also?

Archived