Best way to go from Seattle to Vancouver

cwilloz

we're looking at booking sept 16 trip on summit out of vancouver. Our last trip was pretty scary using air canada from seattle to vancouver. Have heard that Amtrac was effective, but wondering if anyone has used other modes.

We have used the Quick Shuttle twice and have been very satisfied with them. http://www.quickcoach.com/

Also, Celebrity offers a shuttle from SEATAC to the pier which we have used also. BTW, we are on that cruise also. Quick Shuttle offers bus/hotel packages that are a little cheaper for the hotel than what you see online. They will deliver you to the doorstep of most Vancouver hotels downtown and also have an express from SEATAC nonstop to the pier.

I concur. Just used quick shuttle on back to back. First stopped in Vancouver. The quick shuttle is before you hit street. Book on line it will save you $20 each way over what cruise line wants. book late flight if doing return as you may not get to airport till 4 PM on week days or an hour earlier on week ends. Seattle traffic bad.

We also did a one way car rental with National. There's a car rental at the pier in front of the Pan Pacific hotel. We stayed in Vancouver for an extra day and then drove across the border. Obe word of caution. Avoid "rush hour" at the border.

we're looking at booking sept 16 trip on summit out of vancouver. Our last trip was pretty scary using air canada from seattle to vancouver. Have heard that Amtrac was effective, but wondering if anyone has used other modes.

Why not just fly into YVR and have it done with?. ....Oui :)

Take a pre-cruise, cruise on the ferry.

There is no ferry service to the CITY of Vancouver. There is ferry service, however, to Vancouver ISLAND from Seattle.

I used the quick shuttle many years ago. We took the earliest quick shuttle leaving Seattle at 10:00 and got to the ship somewhere around 2:30. On the way back we took the shuttle from the ship. The people taking the shuttle were the first people called from the ship and barely had time to eat. We sat in the bus terminal for over an hour. We did not get to Seatac until after 3 and we were starving. Many people missed their flights. Fortunately we were staying over to visit relatives.

Taking the quick shuttle does not avoid customs. I've heard that taking the ship transfer they seal the bus so it does not have to go through customs. What was customs like for us? Everyone had to take ALL their bags from the bus. The people from the U.S. went through customs quickly. But it took an extra hour or so for the non Americans/non Canadians. Why do I always get someone with a problem?

Other holdups with the quick shuttle - we had to stop at a weighing station. They told the bus driver he had to change a tire. We had to go to the maintenance facility to have the tire changed. Add customs and traffic and a 3 hour trip took 6 hours.

The bus driver filled the bus with too many people at Bellingham airport. He had to unload everyone's luggage so that he could throw the extra people off the bus.

Every time someone got on the bus, the driver had to do a credit card transaction.

I have never taken a ship transfer. My second trip to Alaska was roundtrip out of Seattle. But if I had to do the trip from Vancouver again, I would take the ship transfer or I would get to Vancouver a day early and make sure I had a late flight out of Seattle coming home. Funny thing was we stayed overnight in Seattle because we are from the east coast.

That being said, we enjoyed our trip tremendously. We were never afraid of missing the ship since we were on the 10:00a.m. shuttle. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

That trip was not with Celebrity and the cruise company did not make our arrangements. I in no way hold them responsible.

Have a great cruise.

20 of us did the morning train from Seattle to Vancouver, it was great. very scenic and we could move around. We were rested and able to enjoy embarkation. Also was very reasonable in price, 26.00 per person each way. They also offer senior, government, student and AAA discounts. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Lots of airlines fly SEA-YVR....what is so scary?

..........Oui ;) :confused:

I agree - I have travelled many times from Washington State to Vancouver B.C. and have found a car rental is the easiest way to get around. A trip from Seattle to Vancouver B.C. is short and painless. Simply rent a car and drop it off in Vancouver - National usually offers lots of rate coupons which you can get by doing searches on the internet. You can often get rates at under $30 a day for midsize vehicles.

Why not just fly into YVR and have it done with?. ....Oui :)

WIthin our travel group there was a $400-$500 difference in air fare. Transportation between Seattle and Vancouver via Amtrack was less than #100 RT.

I'r rather spend the $$ difference on excursions in Alaska.

I'm seeing alot of National people for the car rental...we're doing the Summit on Aug 26th, getting into Seattle early then up to Vancouver for the day before. The car rental looks like the best deal for us. Thanks.

Archived