Location of terminal in San Diego?

sunlover41

Im tentatively planning a cruise to the Mexican Riviera in Feb. 2007. Our flight would arrive at 2:40 pm on Sat afternoon and we need to be on the ship by 5pm. Can anyone tell me how close the terminal is to the airport and is there going to be an issue boarding the ship on time? Please answer here or e mail me at niksbuddy@hotmail.com Thanks, Greg

Can`t give you the location, but I think you may be pushing it a little considering where you are flying from and the time of year. Have you thought about what will happen if there is any inclement weather on the East coast? Couldn`t you fly in a day early? It`s much safer when cruising in Winter. JMHO........jean:cool:

The cruise terminal is only about 15 minutes from the airport depending upon traffic.

But you are really pushing it. You have not allowed for air delays - and this has heappened to us arriving and departing from San Diego. Then you have to allow for the luggage to come off the plane. Then you have to take your luggage over to the taxi stand which is not right in front of bagge claim and get in a line there.

Pick an earlier flight or fly in a day early!!

There are too many variables here where you could miss the ship!!

From the airport to the cruise ship terminal is at the most 10 minutes in a taxi. Luggage at San Diego is always about 20 to 30 minutes. Assuming you have a direct flight, you'll be fine. If you're considering a connecting flight in February, I'd consider an alternative flight.

Sure, the cruise terminal is a short distance from the airport, but I would worry that a 2:40 arrival is cutting it way too close.... I read somewhere that the recommendation is to allow at least 4 hours between your flight arrival and sailing time. When we flew into SD, our flight landed at 10:15. The baggage claim area was a madhouse that day, and it took well over an hour to collect our luggage. We'd purchased transfers, so we had to wait a bit for the next bus, and by the time we actually boarded the ship it was already 12:30. IF your flight is ontime and IF you get your bags quickly and IF you encounter no traffic problems, you MIGHT get to the ship by 4:00, which, I believe, is the time passengers are expected to be onboard for a 5 pm sailing.

Good luck....

Hmmm flew in and out of SD at least 12 times last half of 2005 for my company. I don't think I've seen it that bad that you couldn't be pierside by 4PM. When I have gone in there our company sets me up with an Enterprise rental which is off airport and I'm still on the way to La Jolla within an hour of wheels down 1.5 on the worst day. It will be close but I think you'll make it.

I agree with Navy Chief...and I live in San Diego, I work downtown, and I have traveled tothe airport probably 100 times ...There is NEVER any "traffic" from the airport to the pier, especially on a weekend. You're longest wait will be for the luggage, but once you get that, you can be at the pier in 15 minutes....just ask someone at the airport "where do I get a taxi," they will tell you where to go (we have 2 terminals, so it depends on which airline you come in on as to where you get a taxi), and you'll be ewwhiing and awwhhhing at the site of your cruise ship in a few short minutes. Of course, San Diego is a fabulous town and worth staying a few days before or after (although February is our winter, which usually means rain).

Agree also; Lindberg Field (along with FLL) is probably one of the closest airports to a cruise terminal. A 2:40 PM arrival is not a problem in SD however, as has been pointed out, if Mr. Murphy makes an appearance at your airport of origin (i.e. a flight delay for whatever reason, ATC delay due to weather, your aircraft late in getting in, etc.) you could be looking at issues with a 5 PM departure of your ship.

you are really pushing it on a cross country fllight from nyc ---if anything goes wrong you will most likely miss your cruise---------------as all the posters have said if you can change your flight and come in a day early and enjoy san diego without the hassle

i live in portland oregon and we are sailing out of san diego in january --we have a 2 hr 15 min non stop and we fly in a day early

february in nyc--- i remember it well --- you also have the potential of a weather problem delaying flights

getting from the sd airport to the terminal is not your problem -- your problem is getting to the sd airport

dont forget travel insurance www.insuremytrip.com

A 2:40 arrival leaves you absolutely no leeway in case of delays.

I fly to San Diego at least a couple of times a year, and have for the last several years. More than once I've had my flight to San Diego cancelled, due to bad weather somewhere else. My brother lives there and has had the same problem.

The one time I absolutely had to be in San Diego by 4pm, we scheduled a flight arriving at 10am - that was one of the cancelled flights. The only alternatives the airline would offer us were flights arriving after 10pm that night. Please think about arriving the day before or taking a much earlier flight, especially coming cross country.

Archived