Galveston airport transfers- Nightmare

DizziDezi2

Ive heard Galveston sucks at airport transfers, that the boats are a minimum of an hour from the airport and that traffic is horrible. Whats the best way to get roundtrip transfers?? I would prefer to get private transporation rather than be packed on a bus full of people.

We don't live in Houston but drove through it to get to our cruise in November and we sailed through, even though it was pouring down rain the entire trip. This was from about 10 to 11 a.m. on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Of course, it only takes one accident to really slow things down. I hope you have a clear path and smooth trip! :)

One thing to consider. If you accept the cruise line transfer and there is a traffic backup , accident, etc. , they will hold the ship for you. That is the only advantage. Also there are 2 airports so be sure to tell whomever you use the correct one!

I have reserved a car thru the above mentioned company. ("E") The rate daily for a full size car is $44.97 plus $40.00 drop off fee (to drop off at port location) total then is $84.97 but you also get the car till the following morning. Also can due this for return $81.37 (not sure why its higher going back) but still good rates compared to the quotes I got for one way pick ups. Hope this helps. ;)

I think the reason transfers are so high is because Houston is 30+ miles from Galveston (depending on which airport you are flying into) Galvestonlimo charges $50.00 per person for roundtrip from Hobby to Galveston. For our family of four that is $200.00 in addition to the cruise, flight, etc. I hate the idea of paying that, but am not finding anything much cheaper. My husband really does not want to rent a car, but I am considering doing two one-way rentals if I can get a good price. But with the gas prices today and having to refill the tank before dropping off the car, I am not sure how much we would save by renting rather than paying the $200.00 for Galvestonlimo.

We used Emerald Limousine (http://www.emeraldlimos.com/). It was pricey, but well worth it. They picked us up from the airport, drove us to Galveston (About 1 1/2 hours) and took us on a tour of the island. Our driver, Don, had a lot of good information on the area.

They then picked us up the morning we returned. They gave us a cell phone number to call when we got off the ship and were there in minutes. We got off the ship at about 8, had a half hour wait for customs and were at the airport by 10.

Our friends used Galveston Limo and missed their shuttle from the airport and had to wait a couple of hours for the next one. On the way back, another couple got off the ship at 6 am (self assist) took Galveston Limo and got to the airport after us. They had to wait for the shuttle to fill up, go to the other airport first and then got to their airport.

Hope that helps some!

Denise

What about timing? WHo has flown in and out of Galveston? WHat time to arrive and depart from the airport??

Depends on the airport and what time your ship is departing.

Here are some general guidelines to remember:

George Bush (IAH) is about 1-1/2 to 2 hours from the port depending on traffic. If your cruise is leaving during the week rather than on the weekend expect it to be on the longer side rather than the shorter side. Going home, I would book no flights early than 1pm, 2pm would be better. Going to the cruise, depends on when your cruise is leaving but I would give yourself 5 hours from the time your plane lands until the time you have to absolutely be onboard (i.e. if it's supposed to leave at 5pm, onboard by 4:30, flight landing no later than 11:30 am).

Hobby (HOU) is about 45 minutes to an hour away from the port. Going home book flights no earlier than noon, 1pm would be better. Going to the cruise, give yourself at least 4 hours from the time the plane lands until the time you have to be onboard, more would be better (i.e. if it's supposed to leave at 5pm, have a flight landing no later than 12:30).

We used this service when we sailed. Excellent service and we found the rate reasonable for our group of 4, Jose was recommended to us by the Hotel that we stay at in Houston. Give him a call and see what he can do for you. 1-713-303-8299 or 1-713 416-6652 Have a great cruise

Yes we stayed at Marriott,and Jose was the our driver.He is the best and I highly recommend him and I kept his business card because if we ever sail out of Houston or Galvenston again we will be calling him!!Called him last week and he is getting a bus so will be able to transport I think he said around 20 people and about 2 bags per person. His business has been going great.

Yes we stayed at Marriott,and Jose was the our driver.He is the best and I highly recommend him and I kept his business card because if we ever sail out of Houston or Galvenston again we will be calling him!!Called him last week and he is getting a bus so will be able to transport I think he said around 20 people and about 2 bags per person. His business has been going great.

Wasn't he great! As my mom described him, he was a perfect gentleman. Told great stories too.

Jose told his lots of tales. Gave us a little history tour of the Houston area. On our return trip he asked about our cruise and we were telling him about the great desserts that we had so he told us about an excellent bakerey and pastry shop told us we had plenty of time before we needed to be at airport so offered to take us there. He is a very personable,polite. helpful gentleman. If we could only find an Jose at all our ports wouldn't that be great.:)

• 2 weeks later...
We used Emerald Limousine (http://www.emeraldlimos.com/). It was pricey, but well worth it.

Emerald is good. Also check out gulfcoastlimo.com or hallmarklimo.com to compare prices & service.

Granted, limos cost more, but waiting on the shuttles or standing in line for a cab in the south Texas heat is no picnic either.

A limo driver can get you from IAH to Galveston in about 75 minutes or from Hobby to Galveston in 30 minutes depending on the time of day.

Archived