What's with Pacific Star???

karmac

I've been checking the bridge cam all day & most of the morning it said "Yasawa" when it's actually supposed to be in Apia but looked like it was at sea. Later on it changed to "at sea, bound to Apia". The next port now says Auckland & when you go to check out the itinerary it says "itinerary for this cruise not availabe". It was there earlier today. All sounds a bit strange. Will make sure I check it out tomorrow & see what it says. Sweet_successes will have to fill us in when she gets back.

Karen

I've been checking the bridge cam all day & most of the morning it said "Yasawa" when it's actually supposed to be in Apia but looked like it was at sea. Later on it changed to "at sea, bound to Apia". The next port now says Auckland & when you go to check out the itinerary it says "itinerary for this cruise not availabe". It was there earlier today. All sounds a bit strange. Will make sure I check it out tomorrow & see what it says. Sweet_successes will have to fill us in when she gets back.

Karen

They have been slow updating the text on the webcam picture which probably explained why it said Yasawa when it was at sea. This morning it's at a harbour somewhere that I don't recognise, but it should be at sea bound for Vava'u, Tonga.

I would say there has been something happen that has caused a serious change of itinerary for the cruise and they've dropped the calls at Vava'u and Nuku' Alofa, and the webcam is showing it sitting in Apia. I'll pop off and do Google News search.......

:rolleyes:

:eek:

Ok, this could have something to do with it.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19340918-23109,00.html

There was an earthquake off Tonga yesterday afternoon.

Kym

Original Itinerary for R619 was;

Sat 27 May - Dep Auckland

28, 29 May - At Sea

30 May Dravuni, then arriving Suva 10pm staying overnight

31 May - Suva

1 June - Yasawa

2 June - Apia

3,4 June - At Sea bound for Vava'u

5 June - Vava'u

6 June - Nuku' Alofa

7, 8 June - At Sea bound for Auckland

9 June arrive Auckland

They have been slow updating the text on the webcam picture which probably explained why it said Yasawa when it was at sea. This morning it's at a harbour somewhere that I don't recognise, but it should be at sea bound for Vava'u, Tonga.

I would say there has been something happen that has caused a serious change of itinerary for the cruise and they've dropped the calls at Vava'u and Nuku' Alofa, and the webcam is showing it sitting in Apia. I'll pop off and do Google News search.......

:eek:

Ok, this could have something to do with it.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19340918-23109,00.html

There was an earthquake off Tonga yesterday afternoon.

Kym

Tonga had an earthquake when we were on Pacific Sun 614 but it never interfered with our itinerary, but maybe the Star is closer to Tonga than we were.

Tonga had an earthquake when we were on Pacific Sun 614 but it never interfered with our itinerary, but maybe the Star is closer to Tonga than we were.

I just looked at Stars itinerary, and of course she left from Auckland and is much closer to Tonga than we were, sorry for not paying attention. It does seem there is something that has changed as it says the next port of call is Auckland and that's not until the 9th.

Thanks Kym. That would cerainly explain it as their next 2 stops are supposed to be in Tonga. Although soen;t really explain why they'd be in Apia a day late. I guess we'll have to rely on sweet_successes to give us all the details. I'd be really dissappointed if I was on that cruise as I have always wanted to go to Tonga.

Karen

Hi Everyone

To clear up confusion about the Pacific Star - yesterday we were in Apia Samoa - an amazing place - bit of a shame that P & O have decided to not go back there again. Today we are at sea headed for Toonga - as far as I am aware the visits to Tonga are still going ahead - after all the shore tours desk is still taking bookings.

Also some extra titbits for you:

The Pacific Star will be heading to Asia to do the asia program after the end of October next year.

The Pacific Star is loosing P & O lots of money - the average age of cruiser is over 70 (in fact on our cruise I would safely say that over 80% are over the ae of 70 - there are walking sticks, walking frames and wheelchairs everywhere)

Having said that am still having a ball, but don't know if I would sail on the Star again - might try the Sun or the Dawn.

Rach

Hi Everyone

To clear up confusion about the Pacific Star - yesterday we were in Apia Samoa - an amazing place - bit of a shame that P & O have decided to not go back there again. Today we are at sea headed for Toonga - as far as I am aware the visits to Tonga are still going ahead - after all the shore tours desk is still taking bookings.

Also some extra titbits for you:

The Pacific Star will be heading to Asia to do the asia program after the end of October next year.

The Pacific Star is loosing P & O lots of money - the average age of cruiser is over 70 (in fact on our cruise I would safely say that over 80% are over the ae of 70 - there are walking sticks, walking frames and wheelchairs everywhere)

Having said that am still having a ball, but don't know if I would sail on the Star again - might try the Sun or the Dawn.

Rach

Rach - how come you were in Apia a day late??

I would say this cruise is similar to the one we did in March which also had a lot of older passengers - being a longer cruise it's probably attracted an older crowd as they tend to have the time and money for the extended cruise, For families it works out very expensive for a long, 12-14 night, cruise and it's also a long time to take kids out of school for.

I'm suprised about the age thing - I would have thought that the 7 night cruises out of Brisbane would have attacted a much younger crowd. Certainily the one that arrrived back in Brisbane the day we sailed out seemed to have a lot groups of young people coming off it.

I guess they are loosing money with the older passengers because they tend not to drink as much or do as many of the thngs you now seem to have to pay for on the cruise.

Kym

Hi SkyrulesWe weren'r in Apia a day late - we actually went over the international date line from the eastern hemisphere to the western hemisphere so our dates went like this:Thursday 1st June (clocks back 1 day at midnight)thursday 1st June (really friday 2nd June)Friday 2nd June (really saturday 3rd june)Sunday 4th JuneThis caused an awful lot of confusion and struggling of body clocks etcRach

Hi SkyrulesWe weren'r in Apia a day late - we actually went over the international date line from the eastern hemisphere to the western hemisphere so our dates went like this:Thursday 1st June (clocks back 1 day at midnight)thursday 1st June (really friday 2nd June)Friday 2nd June (really saturday 3rd june)Sunday 4th JuneThis caused an awful lot of confusion and struggling of body clocks etcRach

Yeah, we worked that one out on another thread! it's all too confusing this international travel :)

Archived