w/c accessibility on RCCL Voyager and E. Caribbean

My family and I are going on the Voyager next April and I was wondering about the accessibility on board. Also, we are stopping in the Bahamas, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and Haiti. Any suggestions? I am in a manual wheelchair but transfering is not a problem for me. Thanks for all the help.

Porto Rico - Old San Jaun has cobblestone streets. There are curb cuts and cabs are plentyful.

Labadee is a beach stop own by Royal Caribbean. You can get to the BBQ area but it is a beach area with sand. They can get you to a chair using their beach chair but then they go somewhere else with it. I would stay up top by the picnic area and watch from there unless you intend on swimming.

I am also in a manual chair and went to these ports last March. We went on the NCL Dawn. We got to St.Thomas at 12:00 on a Sunday so we just shopped at the peir shops all pretty much accessible. We docked right at Old San Juan but when we were there a RCCl ship docked far away and they had to take taxis to town. San Jaun is pretty hilly. We tried to get on the tram which has a lift but after 1 HR of seeing them all to full I decided to give it a try and push up the hill. With my wife helping we made it up about three streets. Also there is a bit of cobbstone. The sidewalks have cut-outs but the sidewalks are about 36" wide with a 12" curb. Luckily most people don't mind hitting the streets when you come at them. SOme shops have a step.

Hope this helps you out

Glenn

In Labadee I always keep the beach wheelchair. Before they expanded the area, I always had one of the beach fellows stay with us and help push me. Bring tip money and you will be fine. The fellow that always helped me is named Michelle but I believe he is on the Monarch now.

St. Thomas, have a cab take you to Magan's Bay if you want to hang at the beach. The beach depth is not bad. The bathrooms are accessible. They rent chairs and float mats. My DH ask people to help him lift me onto the flaot mat and then he drags me and the raft into the ocean. I slide off and swim around. I can usually get myself back on the float in the water and then we reverse the process for me to get back into my chair. The cabs can not usually go up to the beach area except when they have a wheelchair.

The Voyager is easy to get around in a chair.

Have a great time.

Jean

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...I am just back from RCCL Navigator of the Seas Easter Caribbean cruise on Saturday. We took the only accessible tour that RCCL offered on the cruise. The accessible cruise in ST Thomas. It was wonderful, had a great guide and he took us all over the island. With stops to take photos and get a snack at the top of the mountain. The van was equiped with a w/c lift. There were 3 others that used w/c and I used my rented electric scooter. with no problem there was even room for all the family members that wanted to go on the tour with us. It is an open air van, so it was very comfortable in the 89 degree heat.

I highly recommend this tours if it is offered on your ship.

Archived