Cave Tubing

SharkCruiser24

We did the cave tubing in Belize on our Miracle trip back in February. The river is relatively calm with a soft current that pushes you along. I wore my glasses with no problem. There are a couple of spots where the river gets a little shallow. Your guide will yell' "butts up!". Best to follow the advice as a few people in our party grumbled about bruised bottoms on the way home.

You can get more information on the Belize board. We used X-Stream Cave Tubing and would recommend them. At the time the price was around $40 and included lunch.

Yes...agree with all. You will be fine. One of our friends had to wear his glasses the whole time and never had a problem. And earlier poster was not kidding...when they say BUTT'S UP get them up. I had a nice bt of contact with an over-friendly rock. LOLOLOL

We went through Coral Breeze. It was the best excursion we've ever been on.

I wore my glasses but used floating eyeglass retainers just in case. The water really is not all that swift, at least not when I went, and not compared to the white water rafting I have done.

The biggest chance to lose them would be a water fight with the guides and other passengers. The guides seem to encourage that.

Have fun!

Cave tubing is so fun! I wear glasses -- no problem with them. If you are a bit edgy, wear one of those sports band thingys -- There were a number of low places -- some so low we had to walk - then some deep places -- all just a nice lazy float in an inner tube!

We used Reggie and he was GREAT!

Two questions---- first, do we need bug spray for the walk through the rain forest? Second, if I bring my digital camera, how will I keep it dry? I know these are probably dumb questions, but I want to make sure I have all the details covered.

Two questions---- first, do we need bug spray for the walk through the rain forest? Second, if I bring my digital camera, how will I keep it dry? I know these are probably dumb questions, but I want to make sure I have all the details covered.
We're bringing bug spray just in case, but I think it depends on the time of year as to how bad you might need it.

As for your camera here are two links that sell waterproof cases that will even let you take pictures under water. I have seen these reviewed by other CC members and they report they work quite well, and their pictures looked very nice:

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/erol.html

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/softcases.html

John

Yes, use bug spray! Just do a search for botfly and you'll understand why (and be creeped out.)

This is a good tour to leave your digital camera in your cabin and bring a disposable water camera.

Thank you for the answers regarding bug spray and the camera. One more question: I read that one wears his or her bathing suit and water proof shoes on the walk through the rainforest. What are the best type of waterproof shoes? Would Crocs work or should I purchase swimming pool shoes? Thanks again for all your help!

Caribbean Dreams - It depends on who you go with. The cruise ship excursions usually just do one cave. Private ones usually do 2 or 3. How long you are in each cave depends on how fast the water is flowing and whether you are floating free or being pulled as some private vendors do. The caves are quite large, but they are dark. You do have your head lamp though.

Sarky24 - we have been cave tubing twice. I did not want to wear my water shoes for the walk since they have a thin sole. The first time I wore old sneakers. I planned to throw them away after tubing, but our bus driver told me that he knew people who could use them so I gave them to him. The second time I wore "sand and sun" shoes that I bought in Walmart for $5.

Archived