Recommendations for novice?

LCW

I have been through the Padi cert sucessfully, and have no problem snorkeling, or for that matter, making an entry from the shore.

However, I get pannicky when I have to roll off the boat, and it's hard for me to calm down enough to get my head under. We don't get to dive that often, but I have access to a pool for swimming. Suggestions for working this through?? I hate being a whimp.

make sure you have your bc filled up, that way when you do your roll you will be back at the surface very quickly. That way you can take a minute or 2 to get yourself together before you start your dive. May not be a bad idea to be close to the first one out of the boat to give you an extra few minutes at the surface.

Is a giant stride an option for you for a boat entry?

Not on all boats. In areas such as Cozumel, where boats referred to as "six packs", they only hold six people, they do not have a deck for giant strides.

However, I have seemed to notice that the charters they use for the cruise excursions are cattle boats and do have platforms.

For a new diver like yourself, if you are cruising to Cozumel, the private operators with six pack boats would be great for you. Tell the Divemaster straight up that you are new and they'll take care of you. My wife had the same issue and she was so thankful we did the private outfit in Cozumel. She got the added attention and didn't feel rushed.

I have been through the Padi cert sucessfully, and have no problem snorkeling, or for that matter, making an entry from the shore.

However, I get pannicky when I have to roll off the boat, and it's hard for me to calm down enough to get my head under. We don't get to dive that often, but I have access to a pool for swimming. Suggestions for working this through?? I hate being a whimp.

Hi,

I guess my questions start with, have you really thought about WHY you panic? Is it the fear of diving in without being able to see what's below you? Afraid of sinking? Afraid you'll hit your head? Afraid of losing your mask? or whatever? Rear, flip entries aren't that big of a deal once you understand the dynamics of how they work. You might want to talk to your local dive shop and see if they can work with you in a confined pool environment before having to do it off a boat. Also if you just can't get over the flip, you might ask your dive shop owner if there are other entries that would work in a confined environment or, if there's not much current, consider slipping over the side of the boat in your wetsuit, mask and fins and having your BC/tank and weights handed to you from the boat and finish your donning in the water (course discuss this with the boat people before you leave the dock). Everyone wants to have fun diving and I'm sure with a bit of work, you'll come up with a safe alternative you can live with.

Hope this helped,

Randall

I think the reasons I panic are: 1. I'm a little clastrophobic, and 2. I'm intimidated by the depth. Something about breathing thru the regulator always scares me at first. I'm a good swimmer, and don't have a problem putting my head underwater to swim, so this reaction gets me irritated with myself. If I go in from the shore, I can get used to the depth gradually, and take my time getting started.

When I do a back roll entry, I always start out with my eyes closed because I become disoriented with the tumble. With my BC filled, it rights me and I pop back to the surface quickly and float while I check myself out and make sure I'm away from the boat. Then, I slowly let the air out of my BC until I am floating just under water with neutral boyancy to make sure my mask is tight (I wear a mustache) and not leaking too much:) then I let the rest of the air out of my BC and start down making sure I clear my ears with every other breath.

This lets me check around and get used to everything slowly. Try it, you'll like it!!:D

Happy bubbles.

LCW don't worry you can over come this!! I had the same problem for the first 1 1/2 years of diving. I would get in the water and before I would decend I would be breathing heavy and had a hard time going down. It would take me a good 5 minutes to get the nerve to put my head under. Then I wouldn't go down because I was holding too much air in my lungs. UNTIL...during a dive in Kona Hawaii the dive master asked me why I was nervous. He told me to just put my face in the water and look down. I could see the bottom (even tho it was 90 feet). I felt much safer then. It is really all mental. After that day that is all I do. I put my face in the water and look where I am going to decend. Even if it is not totally clear water it really helps. Now I have no problem at all and it really saves on air!! We very seldom have had to roll into the water. Most dive boats we have been on we do giant strides. I am not a natural diver but have become quite comfortable and really enjoy diving now. Good luck!! And don't be too hard on your self.

Once you become comfortable with breathing from the reg I think this problem will go away. I had much the same experience; fast breathing on entry. The key for me was learning that the reg is there as an air source. Treat the reg as your friend. Use it on the surface and see how safe you feel. No water can come over your mouth and prevent breathing if you have a reg in it. This seems silly to have to say it but it is true. Don't worry about air consumption. At the surface you use very little air. At the end of your dive just leave your reg in your mouth if you feel safer that way.

Now I really enjoy back rolls. It is my favorite entry because it is fast and convienent. You don't have to move around the boat and it is the method from the best diving ops with small six packs. Don't over pull in your legs and you won't somersault. Enjoy the feel and view as you go down and back up.

Gosh just writing about this has me really missing getting wet!

You need to dive in Bonaire. A Great novice spot

We think we've found a contributing cause. I've just been diagnosed with a mild case of asthma - after 40 years. That's why I feel like I can't breath when I start, and get panicky until I get used to the labored breathing.

Trying to find out what my options are now, or if I have to give it up.

Archived