Handicapped cabins on the Westerdam

I just received a new confirmation for my upcoming cruise and see that I've been moved from the Upper Promenade deck on the Westerdam to the Verandah deck. This would be an upgrade of sorts but I've been put in a handicapped accessible cabin. (I have no physical handicaps.) Has anyone been in one? Other than the usual modifications such as a wider door and grab bars, are the modifications going to be undesireable for an able bodied person such as lowered desk heights, etc.? Any thoughts? This is my first time on the forum and would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!

We've only been on 1 cruise so far, and since I'm HC we've booked that type of cabin. Have a HC cabin booked for this Nov/on the Zuiderdam -- same calss as Westerdam. Like you say .... wider doors and grabrails in washroom. Usually it's a walk-in/roll-in shower = no tub, the bathroom counter allows a wheelchair right up to them with room for your knees underneath hence less storage under the vanity. Usually, the room itself has no changes to it

The benefits to a handicapped cabin include:

wider entry door

wider door and flat entry to bathroom so no tripping or stubbing your toe

wide shower so no intimate dancing with shower curtain

fold down shower seat and grab bars

shower head is more adjustable

higher toilet with grab bars

wider desk - a great benefit since the normal desk is tiny

much more floor space but no additional furniture

The negatives are:

no shelf under bathroom sink so storage is minimal

flat metal drain around shower allows water to splash onto rest of bathroom floor needing mop up with towels

I would take a handicapped cabin every time it is offered or available.

Just got off the Westerdam, we had a handicap cabin on Veranda Deck cabin 5137. More room to accomodate wheel chair, larger Balcony, ours was on a corner so you had a good view looking back but had to strain around the divider to see forward. Less closet space than regular cabin, one closet has shelves that can fold up to hand long clothes but then you loose the shelf space, I hung our long clothes on the wall hook in the room, second closet has one shelf but the safe takes up part of the space. Bathroom has no tub, and no under the sink shelf, it does have a medicine cabinet with three shelves but its not very big. There are two drawers in each bed side table but they are only about 8" wide. Dresser has one cabinet that is also about 8" wide and two shelves but one holds the hair dryer the bottom one has extra glasses and ashtrays. The refrigerator is full of water, pop and booze. There was only room enough for two bottles of water that we brought. We asked the room stewart to remove the items but he said we would have to contact the bar people, they did lock up the refrigerator on the last afternoon. The beds are very comfortable and the room also had two chairs a table and a stool that if you lift the lid you will find two wool lap blankets. The TV sits on a corner table. The Balcony had two chairs and a table.

Hope this helps. We did discover that using the aft elevators was the best way to travel, no waiting and you got off right in front of the dinning room.

Thank you everyone for your responses. The pictures are just great! The insight was fabulous. I leave with a group of people on Sunday on the Westerdam. I'm looking forward to enjoying my cabin as this is a working trip for me and it will be my refuge from the group. :) :)

Archived