Another binoculars question :)

tempoct

Hi,

Long time no post from me :).

I read through some old threads about the same topic. I understand that long-distance-viewing-optic like binocular or telescope is a must if you want to see wildlife (whales, birds, bears, etc). Other than that, it's much of use.

Since my primary objective is to see the unique nature of Alaska itself, I probably don't need the binoculars? Wildlifes are bonus for me, but I don't craze about them.

I try to save the weight of my belongings. We will do 9 days land tour after 8 days in the cruise. Lots of stuff already!

Also, I will also carry a digital SLR with 80-400mm lens most of the time. My dad will carry a video camera with high time zoom. I believe we could get away with what we have.

BTW, how's the weather this year so far? I check the current condition is a little wet now. Hopefully, it will clear up for everyone soon.

tempoct

PS: 22 days to the cruise! :D:D:D:D

We read these boards last year before our trip to Alaska, and bought some 10x50 binoculars which were great!

Hardly ever went out on the balcony without them, especially when we went through Glaciar Bay. They were also wonderful when we went on a whale watching excursion in Juneau. They were also helpful in watching the sea planes at so many of the ports we were docked at.

We had a 6 day land tour followed by a 7 day cruise, my husband had his digital camera and my father had his video camera, but we all used the binoculars, too. This is one of the things I wouldn't go to Alaska without.

Pam

I had the smaller 8 x 24 binoculars that I used in Costa Rica last year and they were not good enough for viewing animals in trees, etc. From these boards I took the advice of getting 10 x 50 and they were fantastic! We went on the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest and the 10 x 50s were great to view the sea otters and whales. Also used them for the bald eagles. They were a little heavy but not heavy enough that I would leave them behind or not keep them around my neck. Used them for Hubbard Glacier also. My advice is leave the little ones home and take the big ones!!:D

I so agree! With borrowed the larger kind (10x50 I think?) from a friend, and we were grateful to have them! They were heavy but not so bad that we couldn't pack them or carry them on excursions. Definitely worth it. I didn't look for wildlife on the coast much but what I enjoyed using them for was seeing the glaciers up close in both Glacier Bay and College Fjord. The ship gets close but not close enough to see the detail in the glaciers and mountains, and the wimpy binoculars we own would not have cut it for sure! I was thrilled to have the big set with us.

I'd take big ones again, no question. Actually I'd try to find even more powerful ones next time! :D

Archived