San Francisco

diddlydi

Are you there for the day for a port call? Are you staying pre-cruise or post-cruise? How much time do you have?

Those will help us help you. Pier 39 is just a short walk from Pier 35. You could also take a ferry ride out to Alcatraz. There is abundance of things to do in SF - just depends on time, etc.

If you are going to be there long enough check out this link:

http://www.sfmerchants.com/cruise_terminal/city_tours_1.htm

We are going out 2 days early and plan to do the city tour that also includes the boat ride. It sounded like it covered a lot for the price. As far as a place to stay, several people on CC have suggested the Marriott at Fisherman's Warf. I have been checking prices and finally found it a few days ago through Travelocity (never used them before) for $129 a night. That is about $100 less than any other quote.

we live in the bay area about 15 min from san francisco,,

i would definetley recommend,, taking a bay cruise on the hornblower yachts. you can get the tickets at pier 39, it will take you around alcatraz and under the goldengate.. its really cool,, i think they have a website, google it...

and just walking around pier 39 is nice.. relaxing, some nice resturants ,,

theres also the cable cars of course , and then theres ocean beach which is nice,,

or you can get a tour to the napa valley if you like wine.....

try www.sfgate.com

for info also ... have fun visiting SF....

• 2 weeks later...

The last I heard, San Francisco was part of the USA (although they may deny it). You might get more information over on the USA ports forum, with plenty of previous postings about the City by the Bay.

I live not too far from SF and have a couple of favorite activities. We love to take the ferry to Angel Island and rent bikes. You can bike all the way around the island (about 8 miles) and stop at different historic sites. There is a Civil War site, a WWII site and soon to be completely restored Chinese Internment Camp. The island gives you beautiful views of SF, Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito and Tiburon as well as Alcatraz. You can take a picnic lunch and have a picnic on the island.

If biking isn't your thing, we also LOVE to go see a play called Beach Blanket Babylon. It is a musical satire and very very funny. It is at the club Fugazi. You can do a search for Beach Blanket Babylon and find their website. It is usually sold out 2-3 months in advance. This play is truly a part of San Francisco. It's a "don't miss"

If you can stand heights... there's nothing compared to walking across the Golden Gate. Kinda scary though!!

Archived