Thoughts or ideas on Cruise to Nowhere?

StaySea

I was thinking about booking the cruise to no where in Oct (Legend)....Was hoping to get some feedback form anyone out there that may have done this? we live in RI so we could drive to NY, no worries about airfare!!!! Hope to get some good feedback!:cool:

Cotton.

You may have answered (& greatly appreciated it!!!) on another board about a future cruise on RCL but that was different!!!! Anyway I was thinking about a quick get away with the hubby & was thinking about going to NY or Conn then thought about this, just wanted to get an idea from those who have done it...As always thanx in advance!!!!

OK.:D My memory does fail me from time to time.

I've done one 2-night CTN. It would be fine for a quick getaway, as you aren't flying. Anyone flying, I think it would be a waste of $$. You have to take your own luggage on and off the ship - which isn't much for a short cruise, so no biggie. Tips are paid when you pay for the cruise. Otherwise, not much difference.

They have the same great food and entertainment. Same little game shows and Bingo. The first night featured lobster tails, and the second night, filet mignon was the main entree. Both the production shows were presented, which surprised me. Formal night was held, but seems most folks didn't realize there would even BE a formal night.

I thought the crew were not quite as caring, and I felt a bit rushed the entire cruise. It just wasn't relaxing like I'm used to. The cabin steward did rush me up to the point of aggrevation on my part on the morning of debarkation.

You're only on the ship for approx. 1.5 days, and to me, it was too much hassle for such a short time. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't do it again.:)

Guest YesitDonna

I did it in June of last year with my mom, it was a great couple of days bonding with mom with a little added fun! I would do it again and just might in October for her birthday. Also you are right... we were not informed there was a formal night. Lucky for us we at least had nice dresses with us as we like to dress for dinner on a cruise anyway.

We did one for 2 nights on the Triimph out of NY city for 2 nights last year. Its a tease. We only went b/c DD was going with a friend who backed out. Nasty friend! And it was paid for. For less than a hundred dollars more, we could do a 4 day cruise to Halifax from NY city.

Everything was great on ship. Food and shows and fun time like any cruise.

thanx all:) :)

all good points, & I am giving it serious consideration!!! sounds fun for a quick cruise fix but that it'll leave me wanting more (what else is new??? even a 7 day cruise does!!!)

We just got off our second 1-night ctn this year (on other lines). They are very tiring, but can be a lot of fun especially when you have been on the ship before and know exactly what you like about it. But they can be relatively pricey!

I have done two CTN when the prices were a lot cheaper then what is offered today. I could go somewhere for the price...like Canada on the Victory)

Both cruises were done in Oct and the waters were rough. (one it rained the whole weekend)

they are fun but no worth the hassles.

A lot of first time cruisers book this just to test the waters and it really isnt a fair test. CTN are a tad different as everything is sqeezed into 2 days. Yes there is even a formal night.

I'll have to echo what everyone has said above. I especially noticed the lack of interest by the crew:( I would try for the 4 day Canada cruise which was suggested. When we did the CTN (DD and I) it actually cost more than our recent 5 day Fantasy cruise. Have your checked into ships sailing from Boston? You might find a last minute bargain and it would be even closer than NYC. Good Luck!

why are these cruises so expensive? you can easily book a 5-nighter for about the same price. Just trying to understand. I considered one, but then I decided it would be just a tease; glad I didn't try it based on the comments here.

Kristin

Carnivale Festivale 1980

RC Song of Norway 1990

Carnival MIracle 2006

Carnivale Celebration 2006 (first time being without the kids)

why are these cruises so expensive? you can easily book a 5-nighter for about the same price. Just trying to understand. I considered one, but then I decided it would be just a tease; glad I didn't try it based on the comments here.

Kristin

Mine was a 'cheapie'. $99 per person. It was due to a storm-related cancelled cruise, and they were trying to fill up the ship. My PVP called and asked if I'd be interested, and I was cruising a day and a half later. (Being solo, I had to pay the single supplement, but it was still pretty cheap.)

No way would I go on a CTN at the present rate when a few bucks more will get a much longer cruise.

My family and I (8 of us) went on the CTN in Oct. 2004. We had a lot of fun but I would never do another CTN out of NY at this time of year.

The food was good. We had a great time being together.

Am I glad I went?? YES!! My dad passed away less than 2 months later.

Cons:

1. Too Windy

2. Too many drunks onboard. It's basically a Booze/Gambling cruise.

3. You couldn't even walk on the outside decks without feeling like you're going to be blown over. Winds were very high.

4. NYC embarkation ruins the cruise experience. Too many problems for

such a short cruise.

:) As people have already said: Save your money and book a 4/5 nighter. Carnival Victory has a nice offering and is not much more than the CTN.....Kareb

Mine was a 'cheapie'. $99 per person. It was due to a storm-related cancelled cruise, and they were trying to fill up the ship. My PVP called and asked if I'd be interested, and I was cruising a day and a half later. (Being solo, I had to pay the single supplement, but it was still pretty cheap.)

No way would I go on a CTN at the present rate when a few bucks more will get a much longer cruise.

Thats what I paid for the first one and 150pp for an oceanview for the second.. The second one on the Legend sailed at 399 for an inside by the time we sailed. WOW what a price difference. and it was sold out completely a few months in advance too.

I was the one you helped out a month ago. We are booked on the Victory CTN leaving from Norfolk this Saturday, 6/10!

We've gone through all the pro's and con's and decided we really wanted to give it a shot. It will give us a chance to check out a bigger ship and also a closer port than our normal FL drives. Plus, bumps us to Platinum for our December cruise!:D

I'll be posting a full review for any that are interested when we get back next week!:)

cain't wait for the review, I'm still on the fence.....after really thinking about it, it does seem like a lot of money but the idea of a quick getaway is very tempting too...i'll wait for your review!!!!

Hi OBX. We'll be onboard with you. This will be our 4th CTN. We love them. Yes, they are pricier than longer cruises but we always have a fabulous time and it's a great weekend getaway.

I did it in June of last year with my mom, it was a great couple of days bonding with mom with a little added fun! ....

Ditto! I also did one with my mom. It was TOTALLY worth it. I got a Hurricane special, so it was cheap. It was an awesome weekend. For me, it was the perfect length, because I couldn't take off work any longer than I did. I would recommend heartily - but like others said - you really won't want to get off so soon!!! Pack light and have blast!

Hi OBX. We'll be onboard with you. This will be our 4th CTN. We love them. Yes, they are pricier than longer cruises but we always have a fabulous time and it's a great weekend getaway.

Hey there!

We've got a short roll call going....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=336051

Come on over and join the party!:D

Archived