Luggage storage in Old San Juan

erniesband

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

We are considering using the Luggage Express Post Cruise as our flight is not until 6 pm I don't know if US Airways is one of the airlines that uses this service with Carnival or not. We are eating pre cruise with a group at Barrachina and I did notice they have this free service, which could be an option for us. I would also be interested in knowing if anyone has used them or if anyone has used Luggage Express with US Air.

We are considering using the Luggage Express Post Cruise as our flight is not until 6 pm I don't know if US Airways is one of the airlines that uses this service with Carnival or not. We are eating pre cruise with a group at Barrachina and I did notice they have this free service, which could be an option for us. I would also be interested in knowing if anyone has used them or if anyone has used Luggage Express with US Air.

Does anyone know if US Airways participates in this?

We left our luggage with Barrachina last year. There is no "charge", but tips are accepted. We left $5 for a couple of bags and came back to have lunch there before heading to the airport. We were out of Pan American pier and it was maybe a 5 - 10 minute cab ride.

We left our luggage with Barrachina last year. There is no "charge", but tips are accepted. We left $5 for a couple of bags and came back to have lunch there before heading to the airport. We were out of Pan American pier and it was maybe a 5 - 10 minute cab ride.

Thank you - that's very helpful! Question: how expensive are cabs in SJ. We have 4 people in our group and wondered what to expect/budget? We would be getting a taxi for 4 from airport to OSJ - Howard Johson. Then we would need taxi from port to Barrachina. Then taxi from Barrachini back to airport. Gonna cost me an arm and leg?

M

Thank you - that's very helpful! Question: how expensive are cabs in SJ. We have 4 people in our group and wondered what to expect/budget? We would be getting a taxi for 4 from airport to OSJ - Howard Johson. Then we would need taxi from port to Barrachina. Then taxi from Barrachini back to airport. Gonna cost me an arm and leg?

M

Taxi is $19 (up to 5 pass I think) plus $1 per bag from SJU to Old San Juan.

From the Tourist Info Center

For trips anywhere in San Juan, except to/from the SJU International Airport and the tourism piers in Old San Juan, you will pay the rate indicated on the meter. Within the "tourist zones", taxi rates are fixed and posted. A tip of 10-15% is customary, and there is an additional charge for luggage.

If you want to take a taxi "out on the island", the Puerto Rico Tourism Company posts a separate list of fixed taxi rates from the San Juan area to major destinations on the island.

The metropolitan tourist area is divided into the following taxi zones:

• Zone 1 – Luis Munoz Marin (SJU) Airport
  • Zone 2 – Hotels in the Isla Verde Area
  • Zone 3 – Hotels in the Condado and Miramar Areas
  • Zone 4 – Hotels & Piers in Old San Juan, Puerta de Tierra, Pan Am Pier & Miramar

• Zone 5 – Convention Center & the Luis Rivas Dominichi Airport in Isla Grande

If you’re traveling to or from a hotel in the San Juan area, it’s helpful to know the taxi zone for the hotel. We’ve put together a list of hotels by taxi zone to make that easier

The rates between the various Zones are as follows:

From the Luiz Munoz Marin (SJU) Airport (Zone 1)

• to Zone 2 – $10.00
  • to Zone 3 – $15.00
  • to Zone 4 – $19.00
  • to Zone 5 – $15.00
  • to Plaza las Americas – $18.00
  • to Plaza Carolina – $14.00
  • to Coliseo Jose Miguel Agrelot – $14.00

From the Piers & Terminals in Old San Juan, Puerto de Tierra, & Miramar (Zone 4)

• to Zone 1 – $19.00
  • to Zone 2 – $19.00
  • to Zone 3 – $12.00
  • to Zone 4 – $10.00
  • to Zone 5 – $9.00
  • to Plaza las Americas – $14.00
  • to Plaza Carolina – $24.00
  • to Coliseo Jose Miguel Agrelot – $14.00

From the Convention Center & Isla Grande Airport (Zone 5)

• to Zone 1 – $15.00
  • to Zone 2 – $15.00
  • to Zone 3 – $9.00
  • to Zone 4 – $10.00
  • to Plaza las Americas – $12.00
  • to Plaza Carolina – $22.00
  • to Coliseo Jose Miguel Agrelot – $12.00

Extra Charges

• The suitcases are $1 each
  • The fares above include up to 5 passengers. If there are more than 5 passengers, there is a $2 per person charge
  • From 10:00pm until 6:00am there is an additional charge of $1 per trip

Metered Rates Outside of Tourism Zones

• $1.75 – Initial Charge
  • 10¢ – Charge for fraction of mile (1/19 mile)
  • 10¢ – Waiting Time (Every 25 seconds)
  • $1.00 – Charge for each piece of luggage in the trunk (not carry-ons) (each)
  • $1.00 – Call charge
  • $36.00 – Hourly Rent Charge
  • $1.00 – Night Rate (10:00 pm to 6:00 am)
  • $3.00 – Minimum Charge per trip
  • $2.00 – Surcharge fee for the sixth and seventh passenger in vehicle

For more information on public transportation, please refer to the Puerto Rico Tourism Company’s website

thank you so much!!! This is fantastic information - and taxi is much cheaper than expected. We got a taxi from JAX port to airport recently and it was much more expensive, or maybe we got "robbed". I had heard SJ had fixed rates but was kind of scared how much that would be.

Marlene

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Do you need to stay and eat at barrachina? Or can you just leave the luggage there and grab the trolley or a cab and explore and go back at pick it up?

Dh wants to do the forts so before I book a flight later in the day I just want to be sure we can dump the luggage somewhere rather than lugging it with us

We only take 2 21 inch roll ons so it's not a huge deal to keep them with us for a few hours if need be but would love to dump them from say 9 to 1 and the get them and grab a cab to the airport for a 4 pm flight.

Doable?

If restaurant doesn't open till 9 and we are off ship earlier where can you go? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How much before 9 are you planning to get off? It's not like the forts will be open much earlier anyway

Possible the cvs will be open but if it were me I'd make a point to get off at 8:30 and walk to barrachina and just wait until 9.

Well if i can stay on ship on ship as long as possible. We will probably self disembark

Realistically they will make sure you are off by 10 the latest

But 8:30 makes sense

You can just walk off as the other poster suggests and get to barrchina by 9

Why would you really want to rush off earlier anyway unless your flight is too close for comfort? Only you know what will work for you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Thx. Will prob do breakfast in MDR then leave ship. We have all day to sight see. Our flight isnt until 6 pm

I booked a 3:45 flight so we got back to NYC at a reasonable time

We only travel with 21 inch roll ons so our plan is to drop the stuff at barrchina at 9 and taxi or free trolley on up to the fort and maybe walk back or taxi or free trolley back

Leaving the forts by 12. Back to luggage and off to airport by 1 or 1:30

Question? I've called on San Juan plenty of times but never debarked there....never saw customs at the port either

So can I assume customs for a usa citizen will be at San Juan airport? We visit non USA ports so I guess we need to go through something right?

It's the repo cruise out of NYC and ending in PR

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6