Back from Summit 5/27 Alaska!

wa.mama

Alaska was perfect, due partly to the great advice from y’all at Cruisecritic. Here’s our review; hopefully it will help someone as much as other reviews have helped us. Our group consisted of 20 family members ages 2 through 76. The majority of the adults were in their late 30’s to 40’s, experienced travelers but mostly first time cruisers. We booked all excursions independently except where noted.

Day 1 – Seward

We took the 6 a.m. Alaska Rail train from Anchorage to Seward. Beautiful scenery. Saw two black bears, multiple moose and eagle. The Summit was in port, which was a welcome sight after it’s many delays. Embarkation was a breeze since we arrived before the Celebrity train. With the Xpress passes, we checked on and were on the ship in 15 minutes. After a snack, we took the X shuttle to the Alaska Sealife Center, which was OK, but nothing special. The Summit was clean and beautiful; staff was helpful and welcoming. Our cabin, 7199, corner aft FV, was large with an even larger veranda, and was spotless and comfortable. We also had the next door FV, 7201, and in comparison 7199 was better hands down. It is larger, both with the veranda and the cabin space. The extra hallway also adds privacy and noise protection as well as storage spac.

Day 2 – Hubbard Glacier

Beautiful cruise to the Glacier – we arrived around 2:45 pm and stayed until 6, approached extremely close, and were able to watch it calve and hear the constant cracking of the ice. The weather was superb – sunny and clear. Again, the veranda was a perfect place for glacier viewing; had hot chocolate, room service snacks – what a great day!

Day 3 – Skagway

Group 1 rented cars from Avis and drove up to Emerald Lake. Murray’s guide was a huge help. We stopped at the new suspension bridge (not worth the $10 pp) and at Caribou Crossing, which was a big hit with the kids. Caribou Crossing had gold panning and husky puppies as well as sled cart rides. Emerald Lake was beautiful; we didn’t stay long as there was nothing to do there.

Group 2 went on the rock climbing excursion through X. There were 4 belayed climbs up a vertical shale-type face, probably around a 5.9 climb, and not difficult for either our 11 yr old or her slightly out of shape dad.

Day 4 – Juneau

Group 1 went on the Northstar Trekking (2 hr) and had a blast. There was no vertical ice climbing, but they did hike to glacier lakes and crevasses and drank glacier meltwater. Northstar staff were very accommodating, knowledgeable and friendly. Helicopter ride was reported to be bumpy but beautiful.

Group 2 went up the Mt Roberts tram, which is a few steps from the dock, and caught the $6 mendenhall bus. Both places had easy 1-2 mile trails to hike – 6 yr old loves to hike. Some people rented bikes and rode the 24 mile roundtrip to the glacier.

Day 5 Icy Strait Point – Hoonah

Excellent excursion with FISHES / Floyd and Marjorie Petersen. Floyd is a retired commercial fisherman with decades of experience around ISP. His expertise with the area made him an ideal guide for locating wildlife. We had close-up experiences with humpbacks bubble-feeding on herring, complete with underwater audio of the humpbacks calling. It was an amazing experience. (see my photos, if I can figure out how to post them) We also saw grizzlies (5), eagles (52), and sea lions in addition to the whales. For an additional $25, we trolled for salmon and halibut, catching both kinds. I can’t imagine any company-run whale watching expedition that could be better than with FISHES, and we’re glad we waited for ISP instead of going in Juneau with crowds of people. The ISP shops and exhibits were quaint but a little pricey.

Day 6 – Ketchikan

I’m running out of adjectives!. Went on Misty Fjords flight with Island Wings/Michelle. Absolutely beautiful scenery, the seaplane ride was smooth and quiet, and we landed on an alpine lake with a waterfall. Others from the group went kayaking and had a great experience, saw whales, etc. Hint – if you want to see eagles, go out to where Michele keeps her plane – there is a flock (no kidding, 50+) of eagles constantly circling and diving for the chum from a nearby fish factory. It was totally amazing to us even though we have resident eagles at our house.

Day 7 – at sea

Entered the inside passage around dinnertime. Talk about restaurant with a view! Whales again seen from the boat. Busy packing and tipping, etc.

Disembarkation –

Key hint here – if traveling with many bags, use the Luggage Direct program. This is different than the US Direct Program. With Luggage Direct, X will take your luggage the night before and check it onto your flight in the a.m. as well as obtain your boarding passes. At U.S. customs in Vancouver airport we did not have to take our luggage through; it was automatically placed on our plane and claimed in Seattle. The main difference between US Direct and Luggage Direct is that with the latter service you do not have to go directly to the airport. We spent the day in Vancouver on our own (without the hassle of luggage) then proceeded to the airport, boarding passes in hand. At Ballentyne Place there are a number of car rental agents – we rented a car for the day, and found it less expensive than doing the airport transfers for the 6 of us.

I'm trying to figure out how to post a slideshow - but for now, here are some teasers.....!

Hubbard.JPG.e5c3e727305761cc35ca543f14f13422.JPG

hoonah.JPG.857694c46a87c60d2fa71a32c956e9ff.JPG

eagles.JPG.4ab6859a73415d3c8a940ab09599262c.JPG

Thanks wa.mama for the great post and helpful information. We are booked on Summit and F.I.S.H.E.S. in July and are getting very excited. Any comments on the food? Was crab served one night and, if so, was it on a formal night? Interested, too, in any other thoughts about Summit that you think would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help.

At Ballentyne Place there are a number of car rental agents – we rented a car for the day, and found it less expensive than doing the airport transfers for the 6 of us.

Do you happen to recall which rental companies are at the Pier????

Cruisingtogether - I'm not sure about crab, but there was a beautiful lobster tail on one formal night. We're not shellfish eaters, so can't tell you how it tasted. FISHES is fabulous and the one excursion I would definately repeat. Let me know if you have specific questions about the Summit - we tried a little of everything.

Djaye,

We rented from National - had a beautiful Chrysler van (?) for $48, no extra airport dropoff fees. We went to Granville Island, Stanley Park and Chinatown. Other cars at the pier are Alamo and Hertz. Well, they're not exactly at the pier - their representatives are and will take you to their office downtown.

check out my photos - we had over 900, but posted only 65, so if you have a specific interest let me know.

http://community.webshots.com/album/551049554DrRynV

Disembarkation –

Key hint here – if traveling with many bags, use the Luggage Direct program. This is different than the US Direct Program. With Luggage Direct, X will take your luggage the night before and check it onto your flight in the a.m. as well as obtain your boarding passes. At U.S. customs in Vancouver airport we did not have to take our luggage through; it was automatically placed on our plane and claimed in Seattle. The main difference between US Direct and Luggage Direct is that with the latter service you do not have to go directly to the airport. We spent the day in Vancouver on our own (without the hassle of luggage) then proceeded to the airport, boarding passes in hand. At Ballentyne Place there are a number of car rental agents – we rented a car for the day, and found it less expensive than doing the airport transfers for the 6 of us.

Thanks so much for your great review! We're going to be on the 8/5 southbound so your experience is most appreciated! Can you share more information on the Luggage direct? What is the cost? What time did your flight leave? We're going to be leaving Vancouver on a 7:30pm flight and to be able to have our bags sent on to the airport would be such a great option!!!!!! Is there a cut off time for flights leaving Vancouver????

Thanks, and so glad you had a great cruise!

Sharon

Cruisingtogether - I'm not sure about crab, but there was a beautiful lobster tail on one formal night. We're not shellfish eaters, so can't tell you how it tasted. FISHES is fabulous and the one excursion I would definately repeat. Let me know if you have specific questions about the Summit - we tried a little of everything.

Djaye,

We rented from National - had a beautiful Chrysler van (?) for $48, no extra airport dropoff fees. We went to Granville Island, Stanley Park and Chinatown. Other cars at the pier are Alamo and Hertz. Well, they're not exactly at the pier - their representatives are and will take you to their office downtown.

check out my photos - we had over 900, but posted only 65, so if you have a specific interest let me know.

http://community.webshots.com/album/551049554DrRynV

Your photos were incredible. You mentioned in the original post being busy on the last night tipping. Is there an option on Celebrity to add to your Seapass account? I've read pros on cons on whether to do this. What is your take on this subject.

SEPyle,

We left Vancouver on the 6:30 p.m. flight. The cost was $20.00pp which covers 2 bags; we had 5 in our family and 6 bags, so only purchased the service for 3 people for a total of $60.00. All family members were allowed to disembark at the same time (8 a.m.). We crossed into US customs at the Vancouver airport and did not have to reclaim our luggage as others did. In Seattle, it was a breeze = no customs (already crossed in Vancouver), just picked up bags at baggage claim and left. BTW, the customs officials in Vancouver had NO IDEA about this program and were unable to give me any info when I asked at the airport. But it worked!

Djaye,

We did add the tips to the Seapass account. The room steward said she preferred it, as there are no banks on board for them to deposit cash into, and it is easier to send money home if it is on their X account. We did tip the little "extras" in cash. The last night "busy-ness" came from chatting with the staff and friends, sharing stories, etc. We also had to pack by 10 p.m. to do the Luggage Direct thing.

Thanks so much Djaye, that's just the information I was looking for...I was thinking we would have to get a room for the day...having the luggage sent right thru makes such good sence-well worth the cost in my opinion!

Your Pictures are fantastic! We were supposed to be ending our Summit cruise on 5/27 however as I'm sure you know, ours was cancelled. We will be going on 8/5, on this will be Southbound. Your review and great information is so appreciated!

Sharon

Thanks for the review! So glad you had a wonderful trip, we will be sailing Summit southbound on 6/24.

Was there a naturalist on board and if yes do you remember their name? You said you did your glacier viewing from your balcony, my MIL will probably do that too since we have an aft also, but if X offers a naturalist I might invest in some time up on deck too.

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Djaye, thanks so much for your review and the photos are outstanding. Looks like you had a great trip!

I am interested in the Luggage Direct also. We are sailing southbound on the RCC Radiance in September. Since we booked air through the cruise line, we don't have a departure time yet. It would be great if we could arrange with Luggage Direct to get the bags to the airport and then we would not to worry about the luggage until we get home. I would like to rent a car for the day, sounds like fun.

Can you tell us more about how you found out about the Luggage Direct? Who did you talk to, to get it set up?

Thanks in advance for your help!

we.mama actually posted the review and I'm sure she will check in and answer your questions about Luggage Direct. I am using US Direct when we disembark in Vancouver since we have an immediate flight back to the States.

Another question for wa.mama regarding tips added to ship account: We are doing a land tour first - do you know if tips for the tour personnel can be added to the ship account somehow? I don't think we'll actually have our SeaPass until we board the ship.

I don't think we'll actually have our SeaPass until we board the ship.

If you fill out your boarding information online...you will be able to print out your SeaPass as soon as all info is entered and completed. :)

wdworbust,

There was a naturalist on board - I don't recall his name, but he sounded native. Could it possibly be "Hoonah Tlingit Boy"? You can hear his narrative while on your verandah, as it is broadcast on the TV. However, the view from the rec dec where the track is is also great. We were lucky and had a beautiful sunny day, so weather was not a factor. My SIL was sunbathing in her bikini as she glacier watched.

Djaye, don't know about the land cruise tips, but if it's done thru X I would think it could be added. Set up an online account with X, plug in your reservation #, and your financial chart should be there. They're always glad to take your money! BTW, we used a cash only account after reading some of the reviews about erroneous charges, and it worked fine.

SEPyle,

I feel so badly for you folks on the cancelled cruise. What a hassle. I'm glad X made it up for you. Mum was the word whenever I mentioned the pod problem to the staff. They're pretending it never happened. I hope you have a great time!

we.mama actually posted the review and I'm sure she will check in and answer your questions about Luggage Direct. I am using US Direct when we disembark in Vancouver since we have an immediate flight back to the States.

Another question for wa.mama regarding tips added to ship account: We are doing a land tour first - do you know if tips for the tour personnel can be added to the ship account somehow? I don't think we'll actually have our SeaPass until we board the ship.

Djaye, We did our cruise first last year then the land, however I quite sure it's NOT possible to add the tips for the land tour once you are onboard the ship. I still keep in touch with our tour director from last year so I'll send an email to him and let you know.

"Could it possibly be "Hoonah Tlingit Boy"?"

Oh, how I which it were but according to his recent posts he won't be on SUMMIT unti late July :( "then onto Celebrity Summit from July 29 through September 30 as the onboard naturalist/lecturer "

But Summit having a natutralist broadcast into our room is wonderful so we can take full advantage of those huge afts! This will be our first cruise and I will have work hard to top this one!

Thanks again for this great info, your review and Q&A has been a wonderful help!

Laura

I thought of another question(s) if you don't mind... Did you see any of the shows? What were they and were they any good? What night was Cirque du soleil?

This is our first cruise and we have main seating since my DH is early to bed/early riser, any info that I could use to entice him to stay up for would be helpful!

Thanks!

Laura

Thanks so much for this information. It's great! We're doing the same trip, also with 3 generations of family (ranging in age from 10 months to 60 years). Which of the activities did your youngest child enjoy? Also, would you recommend the F.I.S.H.E.S. excursion for an 8-year-old boy? Did any of the children do the Ketchikan flightseeing with Island Wings?

Archived