Victoria dilemma

I have had the privilege of an extended Visit to Victoria several years ago so have seen many of the popular touist sites. It is a beautiful city that I promised myself to return to.

We will be in port Saturday August 5th on the Sun Princess but only form 6pm to midnight. :( The one thing I was looking most forward to in Victoria was seeing the fireworks display at Butchart Gardens. Now it looks like the cruise line tour returns to the ship at 9pm, before the fireworks show!

Has anyone been on this tour or can to tell me if that is indeed the case? I am afraid to book an outside tour as it would put us returning around 11pm to downtown and I have visions of missing the ship because of excess traffic!

One of the unfortunate aspects of the Victoria stops is that they are usually

of such short duration. When they occur n a Saturday, it definitely precludes

seeing the Butchart Gardens fireworks. They show does not start until it

gets dark, which means between 9 and 10PM. IT lasts about an hour and ,

with the large crowd all leaving at the same time, it takes another hour to

get out of the parking lot. Even the tour busses and private tours get caught

up in this, so it is almost impossible to see the show and return to the ship

for the midnight departure. Sorry I can't offer any encouragement here but

this is just a very popular event which doesn't fit into the cruise schedule.

Sorry I can't offer any encouragement here but

this is just a very popular event which doesn't fit into the cruise schedule.

Well that being the case (and I am disappointed), what would be another good option? I saw something on the net about the Underwater Gardens but then read advice from a local that said it wasn't worth it. Another option is the Dominion Observatory but their website information doesn't look that interesting. Has anyone been there?:confused:

While we who live here know that Victoria and area is a lovely place to

visit, these short, evening cruise ship stops do limit what can be seen.

The observatory is a bit of a crap-shoot, being dependent on weather

and not really a good choice for the time you have available. From the

ship, you can take any number of city drives, a horse-drawn carraige ride

or just walk into downtown and enjoy the ambience. There are good

restaurants, pubs, shopping and a great waterfront walk. There are also

small harbour ferries that do a round trip by water of the inner harbour

area. Have a look at http://tourismvictoria.com/ for some ideas.

:) Thank you for the suggestions. I will do a little more research before I make a decission. Thanks also for the advise about the observatory. I really don't want to take a chance and waste what little time I have in Victoria on something iffy.

If you tell us what your general interests are, maybe we can make some suggestions that are off the usual tourist track. Especially if you've already experienced lots of the popular sites...

Karen

• 3 weeks later...
If you tell us what your general interests are, maybe we can make some suggestions that are off the usual tourist track. Especially if you've already experienced lots of the popular sites...

Karen

Interests would have to be gardens, walking, entertainment and a little romance thrown in.

I am still interested in hearing form anyone who has information on the Sun Princess Butchart Garden Tours. Particularly the Castle and BG Picnic tour to see if that one actually stays to see any of the fireworks.

In case that doesn't pan out I thought about going to Beacon Hill park. I understand they also have nice gardens and some form of entertainment on Saturday nights. Does anyone have suggestions for that?

The actual date will will be in Victoria is August 5th and again the time in port is from 5:00pm to 11:59pm.

If you REALLY don't want to miss the fireworks, I have an idea for you. What is your next port after the Victoria stop? Vancouver? Seattle?

If it is Vancouver, there is a bus that can take you to Vancouver.

If it is Seattle, the Victoria Clipper can take you there.

In both cases, you will have to pay for a hotel room too but if the fireworks is something you don't want to miss, it could be done.

If you REALLY don't want to miss the fireworks, I have an idea for you. What is your next port after the Victoria stop? Vancouver? Seattle?

If it is Vancouver, there is a bus that can take you to Vancouver.

If it is Seattle, the Victoria Clipper can take you there.

In both cases, you will have to pay for a hotel room too but if the fireworks is something you don't want to miss, it could be done.

Unfortunately that is not an option this time around, cost and timing are prohibitive.

• 2 weeks later...

H2Obics:

Sorry I haven't replied sooner - hopefully you're still checking this thread.

It's too bad you won't be here 2 weeks earlier for our Luminara Festival - it would have fit all of your criteria. :(

I'll include the link here for anyone that stumbles here and WILL be in Victoria on July 22: www.luminaravictoria.com

Strolling thru Beacon Hill Park is nice anytime though: www.beaconhillpark.ca

(that website doesn't look like it's been updated since last year though, but it will give you the general idea).

You could take a horse & carriage or Kabuki-Cab ride there one way, to add to the "romance" part of the equation. I seem to recall the local First Nations people believe the actual "hill" of Beacon Hill park is inhabited by some kind of "Love Spirit" or something. I'm not sure about organized entertainment there, but you'd likely find something on a Saturday night.

There's always free entertainment in the form of musicians and comedians along the Inner Harbour causeway too.

Another thing to do is take the little Harbour Ferry in the Inner Harbour: www.harbourferry.com You can do actual tours or just "hops" from point to point around the harbour, stop at a local pub for a drink, then walk back along the waterfront back to downtown.

Karen

Karen,

Thanks for the information and encouragement. Yes, I am still checking this thread and now glad I have. We leave in 3 weeks so most things on this trip are set. Victoria is the one I am still working on. The harbour ferry sounds interesting as well as Beacon Hill Park. I hadn't heard about the street entertainment around the inner harbour so that is nice to know. I am feeling much better about the whole situation now. I know that whichever option I choose it will work out fine. Thanks again for all the help.

For another good meal try Herald Street Cafe.

Food was not mentioned so not sure why this was posted, the original critiera was fireworks at Butchart Gardens then broadened to include "gardens, walking, entertainment and a little romance thrown in". Thanks anyway.

Food was not mentioned so not sure why this was posted, the original critiera was fireworks at Butchart Gardens then broadened to include "gardens, walking, entertainment and a little romance thrown in". Thanks anyway.

I think Marzipan was just trying to be helpful...(the proper response should have been 'Thank you Marzipan'..or 'Maybe next time, this time we are not looking to eat' :rolleyes: )

But, anyway...Thank you Marzipan...I will have a stop in Victoria and it is short so I was reading this thread and am glad there are other things mentioned as we will be in Beautiful Victoria only from 11am-4pm on July 29...so I am looking for suggestions as going to the Gardens dont interest me...and we have fireworks here at home...so I am seeking something 'local' to do...the Cafe you mentioned sounds lovely...we just may give it a try:)

BTW, does anyone know where the ship docks, Ive been looking at maps of the area and cant tell where a pier is...is it in the inside harbour that every one talks about?

No, the ships don't dock in the inner harbour.

They are at Ogden Point in James Bay along Dallas Road ... look on the satellite view map on http://www.maps.google.com... you can see the ships at the dock.

It's about 15 blocks away from the inner harbour.

I read on a thread here someone mention a shuttle that takes you right downtown for $5 with unlimited use, but I don't know more than that (cuz I've never had to track it down).

Karen

I think Marzipan was just trying to be helpful...(the proper response should have been 'Thank you Marzipan'..

I certainly don't mean to offend and I do believe I said "thanks anyway". Just trying to keep it to direct topic so the thread didn't get sidetracked to restaurants. (I also have a feeling Marzipan may have posted to this thread by mistake as there is another thread dealing with pubs, food, and places to have tea in Victoria.)

Thanks Karen...great to have that link to the satillite photo...so, the inner harbour and castle are a bit of a distance from the pier?:eek:

The ships dock at the outer harbor which is a 20-30 minute walk (depending on your pace) or a 5 minute car ride to the inner harbor and empress etc. If you have time/ability to walk it, it's a nice walk through a residential neighborhood and along the water. We did a whale watch excursion and they picked us up from the ship (at the cafe on the parking lot) and then we decided to walk back to the ship once we were done for the day. Gave us a chance to look around a bit more.

Thanks, fozzy...we are only there from 11am-4pm (have to be back to the ship 30-45 mins befor sail time of 4pm), so our time is very limited, was in hopes of seeing the castle (Craigdarroch) and then strolling the inner harbour and having lunch at some 'cute little local place'...looking for something not to touristy and not expensive...maybe seafood...love that, or something 'purely Canadian'...what do you think my chances of this are?:)

...our time is very limited, was in hopes of seeing the castle (Craigdarroch) and then strolling the inner harbour and having lunch at some 'cute little local place'...looking for something not to touristy and not expensive...maybe seafood...

I'd take a cab to Craigdarroch. I seem to recall it's about $11 from inner harbour 1 way (so a bit further from cruise dock) and that they take a buck or two off your entrance fee at the castle if you show them your taxi receipt. It's on the Craigdarroch website somewhere.

As for as a cute little local place, there are LOTS, IMO.

If you want seafood, the Swiftsure Lounge is good, and has an outdoor patio.

There is Ferris Oyster Bar, Sam's Deli (great shrimp sandwiches), or if you want traditional fish and chips, take the little harbour ferry (or stroll) to Barb's Fish & Chips.

Milestones is great and as close to the inner harbour as you can get.

Samuel's in the Queen Victoria Inn is good too, also close to Inner Harbour.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy our city!

Karen

Thanks for the great info, Karen! We are soooo looking forward to it...(altho, being in Victoria means our cruise is almost over, so , I am excited to visit, but dont want that day to come too soon;) )

Are there any areas to avoid? :eek: Or is it pretty safe as far as walking around...?

Are there any areas to avoid? :eek: Or is it pretty safe as far as walking around...?

It's pretty safe, although many of Vancouver's homeless community have migrated here recently ... not sure why. But although you might see the occasional druggie hanging around (or possibly asking for money) ... they are pretty harmless from what I've seen. As long as you're mentally prepared to possibly stumble across that scene occasionally, there's really nowhere you'd need to avoid.

One other thing that might interest you - I was reminded today of another possibility for getting around when I saw a "pack of tourists:D" on mopeds. You can rent them close to the cruisedock, then bomb around for a few hours on them (and easily get to Craigdarroch Castle and beyond). We always know they are tourists because the rental laws are quite different for Canadians than Americans (I think because Canadians require a motorcycle licence, but Americans don't). I've always been jealous because it looks like such a hoot - they always have the BIGGEST smiles on their faces!

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

Karen...Thank you for the great info you gave me!! We had a wonderful time in Victoria...what a beautiful city!!! We took a taxi to the Emperess and then to the Castle...omg, what a pretty place...then we walked back down Fort and stopped at some cute little shops and bakerys along the way back to the inner horbour then walked down Goverment street (? I think) and then it was time to catch a cab back to the dock...definatly not enough time in Victoria...we soo enjoyed it tho!

Then Captian George sped us back to English Bay (?) so we could see the Festival of Fire and watch the wonderful Firework display for the ship decks...it was quite a sight...very awsome...then we just stayed anchored in the Bay until the next morning when we made our way under Lions Gate bridge back to the pier...

What a journey!!!! We will never forget it!!!:D :D :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown:

Spinnakers http://www.spinnakers.com/ (take the little harbour ferry)

Canoe Brew Pub http://canoebrewpub.com/

Swan's http://www.swanshotel.com/pub.asp

Irish Times http://www.irishtimespub.ca/

A bit out of town, close to Craigdarroch Castle:

Christie's Carriage House http://members.shaw.ca/christiespub/

Maude Hunters http://www.maudehunterspub.com/

Karen

Archived