shore excursion question

sippican

I am interested in facilitating shore expereinces independently of the cruiseline if possible, as this usually results in substantial savings, and less wasted time. Would like some feedback on the Gold Creek Salmon Bake - my husband has his heart set on NATIVE Alaskan salmon. Also, has anyone visited the Raptor Center? I was told that we will see plenty of totems without booking a specific excursion to do so, any comments on this?

This site has been most helpful.

Looking forward to sailing on the Infinity, 7/11/04

The Raptor Center is an eagle rehab center. The totems in Sitka are at the Sitka National Park. They are along a trail in the park. After finishing the trail, you can cross a bridge in the park and walk to the Raptor Center. This assumes that noone in your group has mobility problems, because it is not a short walk. The stream in the park is full of salmon is it's not too early.

Larry

We flew with Coastal when we did our glacier trek and were very pleased. It was half price as compared to the excursion on the trip. Steve, our pilot, was great and seemed to really enjoy flying to the glaciers (it didn't seem as merely a job to him). I can recommend them enough!

We didn't bother with a totem tour. We went to a totem museum (in Ketchikan) and it also included a tour of a hatchery. That was enough for us.

Sippican

We went to the Raptor Center as part of a local booked tribal native tour of Sitka. It was very rushed. Went to park but not enough time to look at video and walk the totem pole trail. The raptor center was okay and we had a private tour with one of the young employees. It is okay and you can see eagles and other birds up close, but you still have wires or artificial surroundings in most of your shots. I thought the eagle viewing in Ketchikan down by Island Wings dock were much better and natural sitting on the rocks or pilings. We also hiked down by the canneries in Sitka for eagle viewing but the telephone poles and lines were distracting but there were 20-30 eagles perched in the tall trees there about 4 or 5 blocks from tour dock.

Sitka Heritage Park is best viewed with the purchase of the cheap totem guide, giving interesting info about the individual poles you are walking past. Yes you will see plenty of totems. But if you want more- commentary, history, viewing- tours are the way to go with Saxman probably offering the most for the money at about $25pp. The Raptor Center is very worthwhile seeing another side of Alaska and deserving of the admission. It is a uphill walk to the center. But most all of the Sitka attractions are walkable without mobility limitations. If needed there is an all day loop shuttle bus for $7.

Archived