BAD PRINCESS - advance shipboard credit

2ladies

Hi there Peter - well, I received a reply!! Tell me its a different company - surprise surprise. Offering me my $200 deposit back - Big deal!!

I have replied that I don't want my deposit back - that would be too easy for them - I want the deposit and the promised shipboard credit of $200 credited to me onboard my Golden Princess cruise in August. And I certainly won't rebook a Med cruise until this is sorted out.

I told them that this will cause no problem to them since the currency onboard is the DOLLAR!!!! I also repeated that I was told onboard that this could be taken on any cruise, as Princess is an international company. And its not as though they didn't know I was English - my accent is unmistakeable!!!

Peter, I may not win, but I will sure get my money's worth in the waste of their staff's valuable time!!! This will give me no end of satisfaction as the amount in dispute is relatively peanuts!!! It will cost them a lot more. I am retired with plenty of time to defend myself against the multinational companies!!!

I cannot believe that they are quite so stupid!! This site has had 3,500 hits - is this worth $200 to them? They spend a fortune on advertising and PR and haggle over $200 which was promised to me by their rep. They are not even trying to dispute that fact!! They know quite well its true!!!

Peter - just realised - the most hilarious part of the reply was that they can do nothing as they are a separate company - and in the next paragraph they offer to return my deposit!! Hello - have I missed something here?

I am saving all these replies to send to Peter Ratcliffe - I hope he will be impressed. I have also recommended that the two ladies from Carnival/Princess involved in this, read this thread!!!

Princess is selling cruises in the Caribbean next year at ridiculously low prices. We cruise a lot in the Caribbean as we live in Ft.L in the winter - they should be falling over themselves to ATTRACT us as customers!!

To add insult to injury, they suggest that I use the deposit for my next Princess cruise - which I have cancelled due to this nonsense!!!

Hi Peter - I have actually been giving this a bit of thought!

We pay in British Pounds and its a separate Company. We then board the ship and lo and behold we are charged in dollars and everything is equal with their US clients - suddenly all the same. Then the bill comes in dollars and they try to convince us to allow them to change it back to pounds at a bad rate!!

I am definitely missing something here!!

I like this, this is like our own little thread. I am kind of curious why none of the other UK members have posted anything on this.

The credit card conversion thing continues to amaze me. Other than making them money I can't see why they think people want this? So far they seem to ignore the fact that I do not want them to do this, but continually have to check at the pursers to verify that they are not doing so.

So, no, I don't think you are missing anything. The whole "nickel and diming" thing is really getting out of hand. But I think we are in the minority here, seems everyone else loves it.

Keeps the cruise prices down don't ya know! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Peter

I like this, this is like our own little thread. I am kind of curious why none of the other UK members have posted anything on this.

I posted earlier!! It was about not getting OBC because we had booked our next before we sailed. I totally agree about the changing money. You have to be on your toes!

Hey Floflegs - glad to have you back!!

I feel like a split personality - one minute I am just one of two thousand cruisers - and the next, I am someone different!! But of course, only different when it comes to the money!! They just wouldn't get away with it with the pax from the U.S.

I am continuing - as I said previously, I may lose my $200 shipboard credit, but I will make sure they don't benefit, by wasting their staff time!!

It is disgusting that they now claim they will not accept any reservations from me in the US - when I live there part of the time!!! But they will accept reservations in the US from US citizens living in the UK part time. I have checked!!!

Peter, I really don't like to get too nasty - i.e. Watchdog and holiday programmes etc. But it depends on how they react to my complaints. So far, extremely unsatisfactory - as expected!!! And all for $200 shipboard credit - which only costs them maybe a third of that!!

I have five more cruises booked and none of them with Princess. Usually there will be one or two Princess in there, but I feel aggrieved!!!

I hope you have made mention of the fact that "Because of this issue, Princess didn't make it onto the list for your next five cruises!" Based on your Platinum status, that may make a point for them.

In addition you are not asking for anything above what they promised you in the first place.

I wouldn't think you are being nasty about Watchdog or any of the holiday programmes, after all this is a problem with a lot of people. It should get resolved.

I would also try booking one in the US to see what happens, I fear that it was simply a boast from someone trying to intimidate you, but has no real power to accomplish it.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

One of the main reasons I haven't made any contribution ... is not so much a feeling of apathy... more the fact these issues (or similar ones) have been repeatedly drawn to the attention of Princess both here and in the US for many, many years now. The situation was undoubtedly made worse when Princess took the decision to stop folk from the UK booking with a US TA. Prior to Jan 2003, whilst they didn't approve as such, they turned a blind eye to it.

I quick trawl through my email personal filing cabinet reveals no less than 30 odd British past passengers of Princess with whom I have corresponded over the period of some 5 years or so. Each message bears the same tale of woe; the frustration; the injustice of it all; hiccups with FCCs; copied responses from Princess to letters sent; the call to inform the national press, holiday & consumer watchdog programmes or in the case of one email the thoughts on seeking some sort of legal redress. Nothing changes... you just become more savvy... and occasionally raise your head above the parapet to complain as a matter of principle if nothing else.

My rant aside... believe me I do care passionately about this subject but as was recently quoted in another thread... 'most of the time' it is like hitting your head against a brick wall.

Roz, knows I think that I wish her the best of luck with this one ;)

Laura

PS: Last year despite checking with the pursers desk on the last night to confirm that Princess would not be making the exchange themselves for our onboard accounts - rather they would leave it to our credit card company... what did they do... ignore that instruction entirely.

PPS: I noticed I am your elder... by just a day... perhaps we'll both end up on the same 'milestone' celebratory cruise in a couple of years time :D

Ah, well thanks for joining in. I take it then you have forwarded this to the media, and not gotten any interest about it from them. Hmm, figures, I guess it isn't sexy enough.

Cheers,

Peter

Did you book a specific cruise while on board or purchase FCC's? FCC's can be transferred, once, prior to making final payments.

Uh-oh, I had no idea this policy existed. I have changed mine twice (still didn't get to final payment date yet) and there was no mention of it being a problem. Like many other things with Princess, maybe it depends on who you ask (I booked thru 1 800 PRINCESS).

BJ - you have hit the nail on the head - you are in the US!!! We live in rip-off Britain!! Cars, airlines, computers, you name it - they're all at it.

Anyway guys, I have received an e-mail from the Carnival Rep in the UK agreeing a shipboard credit of $400 - my $200 deposit and $200 shipboard credit!! You have to persevere and then they want to get rid of you!!

She said she hasn't read the thread - of course she hasn't!!

This is, of course a goodwill gesture she states, as their staff onboard are very well trained and know that the two countries are separate!! Hmm.......

However, the next step is to have a go about the rep in the US who told me that I would no longer be permitted to book through the US company, even when I was residing in the US!!! I don't think my US TA was too happy to hear that!!!

Peter - I e-mailed the ceo of Princess in the US earlier today. I tried all sorts of combinations and one hasn't been returned - yet!!! We shall see!! I wrote to him last week also!! If I did hit on the right e-mail address to him, my lips are sealed!!! For now anyway!!

Archived